___6.//Global Tracker X (GTX)
___7.//Forward Observer Launcher X
___8.//Admin Weapon Class Generator
___9.//AAO Tracker Widget
8.)SERVER BROWSER WORKAROUNDS <--***Hot Item***
___1.//Manually Joining a Server
___2.//Finding Server IP Addresses
9.)QUESTION/ANSWER
___1.//Can Mac users play with PC/Linux Users?
___2.//Why does PunkBuster not auto update like it should?
___3.//Why doesn't my 2.1 to 2.3 patch work?
___4.//Can I host a server and play on it at the same time? Every time I try to boot up AA with the server running, AA always crashes.
___5.//Is there a way to have my away message in iChat or Adium set to the server I am playing on?
___6.//My directional sound doesn't seem right. Is there a way to fix it?

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1.)SERVER BASICS

1.//Firewalls
A firewall can be either hardware (something that your computer plugs into), or software (applications on your computer). Usually, you do not have to mess with firewalls unless you are trying to host a game server.

2.//Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses
An IP address is four series of numbers (192.168.0.1, 208.223.41.224) that tells people where you are, like the address to a house. You have two for every computer. One is your external IP address. This is what the people not in your LAN (Local Area Network ex. people in your house) must type in order to see your computer. The other is your internal IP address; this is for you (and others in your LAN) to use to find people in your LAN. If you were to give someone who was not in your LAN your internal IP address, they would not be able to find your computer/server. Think of it like a hotel. You can tell them your room number, but it does no good if they don?t know what hotel you are in. Now if you gave them your external IP, complete directions to the hotel, they would be able to find the hotel. But there is a problem here; which room is he in? Now sometimes this problem does not occur, but more than often it does. That will be covebrown later on.

3.//Setting up your hardware firewall for hosting
First, you need to know how to access your firewall (assuming you have a hardware firewall; usually built into routers). To access your firewall, open up a web browser (ex Safari) and type in your internal IP address (to find, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Choose your network connection in the ?show? pull down box (ex Built-in Ethernet)). Locate the field labeled ?Router?. Beside it you should see a string of numbers. Enter that into your web browser. You then should be prompted for a password. If you didn?t change it, then the default factory setting is usually:
Code:

User: admin
Password: password

Once in, you have to edit some things. Now every router is different, so I cannot tell you exactly how to do this. First, you need to open these ports. Consult your owners manual/ Google to see how to do this on your router.

UDP:
1716 for the game
1717 for the gamequery
1718 for master server query
8777 for standard UT query
27900 for GameSpy
TCP:
20045 for Auth server

Remember when I was talking about the hotel and how you don?t know which room in the hotel you are in? Well this is the segment in which I tell you how it figures it out. The answer to the problem is port forwarding. Again, consult your owners manual/ Google to find out how to do this on your router. Normally, it involves putting in your internal IP address, then telling it which ports to forward (ones specified above). Lets put this back into the hotel comparison. Say when people enter the hotel asking to talk with you (assigned ports), the front desk will tell them your room number (what computer you are on), but they are directed there automatically, so in real life, they don?t see that they are being forwarded. Say someone comes in asking for your bills (unassigned port), then the desk manager will simply do nothing. Actually, he probably wouldn?t know what to do and stare blindly at the person. That?s how my router works. I have a router that says nothing when pinged. Most routers say ?I?m here? or ?I?m not giving any information?, both of which are telling the person that something is at that address, while mine says nothing, acting like nothing is there.

4.//Setting up your software firewall for hosting
Go to System Preferences -> Sharing. Select the tab ?Firewall?. Then, make a new set and put in the ports noted above. Alternatively, you can disable the whole internal firewall by pushing the appropriate button. I recommend leaving it on. Remember, the more effort you put into securing your network, the less chance you will have being hacked.

2.)FIXING PUNKBUSTER

See my other post, located here.

3.)SETTING UP YOUR SERVER

1.//Manually
There are multiple posts telling what text fields are for what. Here are a few of my favorites.
grey_foxx?s ?Steps to Take to Create a Server
Dwarden?s ?AA Server INI Guide?
NOTE: ArmyOps.ini is located @ ~/Library/Application Support/Army Operations 2.x.x/System/ArmyOps.ini. I strongly recommend that you back up this file.

2.//Automated
See the Questions section at the bottom of the post.

4.)STARTING YOUR SERVER

1.//Manually
Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal). Then type in
Code:

cd (*path/to/AA*)/System; ./server-bin (*LAN or Global*) (*mapname*).aao > /tmp/myServerOutput.txt 2>&1 & echo $!

Here is an example
Code:

cd /Applications/Games/Game\ Files/Army\ Operations/Army\ Operations\ 2.1.0.app/System; ./server-bin lan bridge.aao > /tmp/myServerOutput.txt 2>&1 & echo $!

2.//Automated
See above section for a list of programs that will do this for you

5.)KEYBINDING

1.//Manually
The file you will be editing is located @ ~/Library/Application Support/Army Operations 2.x.x/System/User.ini. After finding this file, go to -}MoS{-Evndude?s All Console Commands & Keybinding Help Once there, search for ?binding?.

2.//Automated
Use jjoo's program, Keybindation Be sure to back up the user.ini file before using.

6.)VOICE OVER IP (VOIP) PROGRAMS

1.//Number One Choices: Teamspeak, Ventrilo
Why?: Both are excellent cross-platform VoIP programs. Both use the exact same codecs too, so it's merely a question of which wrapper you like better.
Cons: Both clients have the unfortunate ability to not support the most common codec. What's even worse is that the default codec the server ini has is the one that the Macs don't have.
Something good: It works, and it uses very little resources. I can run the server and client (Ventrilo) and still have some processor to spare. Not as intensive as some of the other clients out there.

2.//Number Two Choice: Skype
Why?: It works without any configuration made to firewall. Works with Windows and Linux too.
Cons: Not too heavy on the voice preferences. Windows preferences are not any more detailed.
Something good: It found my USB Mic by default Exclamation

3.//Number Three Choice: Marratech Pro
Why?: It works without any configuration made to firewall. Works with Windows and Linux too. Also, it has a cool "whiteboard" that you can draw on. Everything is realtime and you can place pictures and such for showing tactics, etc.
Cons: A little hard to get to know the program, especially for beginners. Chews on the connection a lot. Will have lag if you don't have an extremely fast connection
Something good: The whiteboard feature is pricless.
Note:When downloading, you will be asked for you name and email. For this, you can make up whatever you want, as they don't send passwords or anything. I would give you the link, but it is a direct link.

4.//Number Four Choice: iVisit
Why?: Again, works without any custom port changing in firewall. Works with Windows too.
Cons: A little hard to get into and how the layout is setup. Again, not heavy on the preferences. Uhh? hard to describe why its not that great. I?m not real sure, just not the wrong program for the wrong job.

5.//Number Five Choice: KDX
Why?: Works. Bottom line. ?Unique? design. Great idea. File server too with ability to control other computers if program is active. (Mac controlling Windows)
Cons: ?Unique? design. Have to open ports, mess with firewall. Shareware. Sometimes just too hard to figure out, and sometimes just doesn?t work.
Something good: Where this thing lacks in everything else, it shines in preferences. This thing has preferences so precise that you can set it to where you can make the mic talk for you. Ok, maybe not that customizable, but tops the others and adds more.

6.//Untested VOIP Programs:
BitWise
Asterisk
X-Lite
SJPhone

********PROGRAM TO LOOK OUT FOR IN FUTURE***********
Darwine. Check it out. Run .exe files without VPC or emulator. Just runs the stuff it needs. Will be awesome once its finalized.

7.)AA Programs for Mac

Below are some programs made for AA that are Mac friendly (No particular order):

1. Server Creator X (SCX) (final) ~ 6.5 MB
Creator ? Balthamos
Description - Original server Creator for the Mac. Helps you create a server without manually messing with the server configuration files and Terminal commands.
Notes - No longer updated nor supported; dead project.

2. Server Creator X Cocoa (SCXc)
Creator ? Balthamos and jjoo
Description - Same as SCX except faster and features more functions. Overall better than SCX.

3. Server Manager X ~ 68.4 KB
Creator ? Balthamos
Description - More stable, but does not have the ArmyOps.ini editor like in SCX/SCXc. Has an auto-restart feature, along of a table that says when your server restarted. More for the professionals that have their servers on constantly.

4. Keybindation
Creator ? jjoo
Description - Allows you to bind your actions to your keys out of game. Has more options than in-game binding.

5. AAO Player Utility
Creator ? jjoo
Description - Allows you to see your stats from AAO Tracker without having to navigate to the site.

6. Global Tracker X (GTX)
Creator - jjoo
Description - Allows you to browse and join servers using a more functional browser than the in-game one.

7. Forward Observer Launcher X ~ 960 KB
Creator ? Balthamos and jjoo
Description - Gives you the ability to join server IP addresses with the URL tags aao:// aa:// and fo://. Example: fo://127.0.0.1 will open up AA and join that IP address. Best used with Forward Observer.

8. Admin Weapon Class Generator ~ 40 KB
Creator ? flightace37 [Original post]
Description - Utility program that allows you to generate cut and paste text on the fly. Allows administrators to specify a multitude of weapon configurations, and paste the results into the server, ready for use.

8. AAO Tracker Widget ~ 312 KB
Creator ? G5Cube [Original post]
Description - Widget that uses works with AAO Tracker to display your current AA statistics from your Dashboard.

8.)SERVER BROWSER WORKAROUNDS

Sometimes the internal server browser goes down, but that doesn't mean that you have to give up playing AA.You can manually enter the IP address of a server and still be able to join and play. Below is all the information you need to get yourself up and running sans the internal server browser.

1.//Manually Joining a Server
To join a server manually, follow these simple and easy steps

Example:
Code:

open 127.0.0.1:1716

That's all there is to it. To get IP addresses, look at the list below.

2.//Finding Server IP Addresses
Here is a compilation of places that have listings of IP addresses that you can join. You can use the method as described above to join these servers.

drATT Server Listing
First to Kill Server Listing

Contributed by atFault:
Forward Observer Server Listing
AA 2.5 Tracker (Alpha Build)
AA:O Tracker 2.5 Server list

Contributed by Shimaceo:
Mac based servers

Contributed by [BxC]Dr.Farnsworth:
2.5 Honor Server List

9.)QUESTION/ANSWER (again, no particular order)

1. Q: Can Mac users play with PC/Linux Users?
A: Yes. Mac users can play with anyone. In fact, they don?t even know that you are on a Mac unless you tell them

2. Q: Why does PunkBuster not auto update like it should?
A: Probably your firewall blocking the port it updates on

3. Q: Why doesn't my 2.1 to 2.3 patch work?
A:
Calroth wrote:

Try copying the following Info.plist over the top of your Army Operations 2.1.0.app/Contents/Info.plist file. If you don't know how to do it, this tip isn't for you. http://www.calroth.net/aa/Info.plist

Also, you need to copy the following Distribution.ini over the top of your Army Operations 2.1.0.app/System/Distribution.ini file. Both these files have to be in place before patching. http://www.calroth.net/aa/Dist...ion.ini

4. Q: Can I host a server and play on it at the same time? Every time I try to boot up AA with the server running, AA always crashes.
A: Though not advised (unless you have a really fast computer/not many people on your server), it is possible to be able and host and play on the same computer:
atFault wrote:

Start AA client (the game) go to one of the menus. I choose deployment menu, but I don't think it matters. Option-Return so that it goes to window mode, Command-Tab so that you can get to whatever application your start the server with. Start the server up. Play AA.

5. Q: Is there a way to have my away message in iChat or Adium set to the server I am playing on?
A: Yes, there is. Go to this post for more information.

6. Q: My directional sound doesn't seem right. Is there a way to fix it?
A: In AA v 2.3 (possibly recursive), the sound library is a little messed up (directional sounds not making smooth or realistic changes when turning).
petterf wrote:

It's due to a bug in the openal sound lib. Ryan have fixed it and it will be perfect in the upcomming AA release.
You can download one of these openal.dylibs which have been built from Ryans openal source and replace the one in your AA System folder in the app.
Right click on Americas Army app and selecting Show package content.
Drop my compiled version into the System folder and click OK to place the old file.

Now the sound will work.

http://homepage.mac.com/petterflink/FileSharing1.html

Hope this clears up a lot of your questions. If you want something changed or added, just let me know.

~Balthamos

Last edited by Balthamos on 24 Dec 2006 14:06; edited 14 times in total
-MaC-skidmarc-.us

Private First Class

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 11:38 Profile

Balthamos, thanks for the comprehensive post. I've been able to get a server running for both LAN and global use and have hosted a few matches with invitees. I have not been able to get my server listed on gamespy though. I have my router and software firewall configured to allow both UDP and TCP connections on each port. Do you know if that might be causing my problem? I've tried changing it to the specific settings as noted above with no success. (my server is authorized with aa, btw) Any tips would be appreciated.

I also want to thank you for the SCXc app and for FO too. I've done all my key bindings manually but am going to try out jjoo's app. (gawd, I must be a true geek 'cause i love code. Between code, manuals and this game i get about 5 hours of sleep a nite, get no work done and my wife has forgotten what i look like....)

Thanks again.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 22:05 Profile

Not real sure how to make the server show up in Gamespy. You can try downloading the original SCX and see if the server shows up then. If it does, then I will try to go look back in the coding and see if I can change it in the new code.

~Balthamos

kashiwagi

Private

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 10:25 Profile

Hey, thanks for the info. I am starting a server using SCX, but I am having a problem with PB. I manually installed all the necessary updates, but it still starts with the old version. Now when I look at the server on the in-game list, there is no PB icon. The warnings are gone, but I don't think it is running PB. Is it automatically shutting down PB? What can I do?

[MV]Deckard

Private

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 11:45 Profile

I'm using OS X 10.3 on a G3.

I installed AA:O 2.3 for a server using the command:
./server-bin global sfvillage.aao ini=default.ini

I have the router Ports for the following ports:
UDP:
1716 for the game
1717 for the gamequery
1718 for master server query
8777 for standard UT query
27900 for GameSpy
TCP:
20045 for Auth server

And the same on the Mac for the firewall, I even use the DMZ on the router.
I still can't connect to the Server as the IP and nobody can't see it either. Never the less I can access it on my local IP 192.168.1.10 from a PC to the server.

Have I missed something on the Mac side to make it accessible?

Thanks for any type of help.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 13:58 Profile

I have heard that people are having trouble making their server visible in the Deployment screen since the switch to 2.3. I still think we don't have a definite way of making it show yet. And, like the server creating guide said, you must join by your internal IP address. If you put in your external, you will not join your server. You must put in internal IP address to join your server. Everyone else must put in your external IP address to join.

~Balthamos

[MV]Deckard

Private

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 14:54 Profile

Thanks for the help,

I can indeed get to my server on my internal (192.168.1.10) IP and connect to it, the problem is that everybody outside still cannot get to the server on my real IP in the router.

I opened the port, even used the DMZ and did the firewall setting in the Mac... still nothing.

I did not change anything in the Default.ini in both ";ip=1.2.3.4" since I only use one Network device. I tried to setup both my internal IP and the Real IP but I can be the only one on my local network able to access it.

Can you think of anything to check why the server is not accessible from outside?

Thanks again.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 17 Apr 2005 17:32 Profile

The semicolon (;) indicates that everything after it is nothing. So when you are trying other configurations, be sure to delete that semicolon.

~Balthamos

[MV]Deckard

Private

Posted: 18 Apr 2005 10:29 Profile

I got it to work, it was a Firewall issue within the Mac.

thanks for your help.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 18 Apr 2005 15:48 Profile

Alright. No problem.

~Balthamos

Kheldarren

Recruit

Posted: 13 May 2005 00:33 Profile

I would like to add one small correction to this otherwise fantastic post:

Not all computers have 2 IP addresses. I'm a network administrator by profession and see and work on networks every day. I halp friends and family with home and business networks so get a good sampling. If you have a router, you'll have two addresses (one public and one private) but if you do not have a router you only have one.

Example: DSL/cable customers that only have a DSL/cable modem directly connected to one computer. The DSL/cable modem will pass the internet IP address to the computer and that is the only one you'll have. My brother has SBC DSL with a Speedstream 5100b modem. The modem acts as a DHCP server and simply passes the external IP to one internal device. As he has only one computer, it goes to that. If he gets more and adds a router to direct traffic, then the router gets the external IP and the computers will then have internal IP addresses.

I only make this correction to clarify the exceptions so anyone running a server on a machine with only an external address know that they do not need to worry about port forwarding or using a DMZ.

Firewalls are still in effect, but need to stay up. Directly connected computers should NEVER turn off a firewall - it's an invitation to disaster. Simply open a specific needed port for only as long as it is needed.

Hope this helped and did not confuse the issue.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 13 May 2005 17:12 Profile

Thank you for that information. I assumed that everyone would be dealing with a router, but now those who hook directly will be confused no more (plus they probably know enough of what they are doing if they have a custom setup.

~Balthamos

fatal fate

Recruit

Posted: 28 Jan 2006 17:23 Profile

Alright, i have a problem with AA. I have a G4 iMac, 800mhz i think with a G-Force 4 graphics card, or something like that. I install everything for the game, the game is fully installed in my OS 9 HD, and I click AA and it begins to start up. Then I get the spinning beachball of death and I almost cut my wrists in fury. I've re-downloaded it and it does the same thing. It says that America's army is "Not Responding" so I drag it to my desktop and it STILL doesn't work. I really want to play the game but it just won't boot up. Can I get some help? Do I need to update to the 2.5a patch?

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 28 Jan 2006 22:11 Profile

Do you have OS X? You need OS X to be able to run the game.

~Balthamos

fatal fate

Recruit

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 13:07 Profile

I do have OS X, tiger, the latest one. I just get that America's army icon
I started up my own individual thread here
http://forum.americasarmy.com/...=203892

Mac FAQ [12-24-06] 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: