FAQ Support Issues
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 45 of 47     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

The Official Computer Building Help Thread 

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 12:42 Profile United States

Intel stock is right back up to where it was the Friday before the news hit. Many retailers and manufacturers are already accepting refunds and RMAs of affected boards, with replacements due to be available by the end of this month.

The word is the problem would only affect the older SATA 3G connections on P6 mobos, leaving the newer 6G ones untouched.

Embedded Image

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 06 Feb 2011 20:10 Profile

yeah, so in short, nothing any other tech company hasn't had to deal with from time to time.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 03 Mar 2011 13:17 Profile United States

WoG, I know you'll like this:

http://www.itworld.com/hardwar...pc-case

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 18:35 Profile United States

Alright so my mom's harddrive is clicking/clacking more than usual and beyond the normal activity sound.

So we need a new one. My only question is if HP PC's need special HD's.
I know HP's don't follow the standards with RAM slots and other components.

I haven't really looked at the Mobo or HD connectors, but I'm assuming at this point it's just a regular IDE, but I figured I'd ask around before purchasing.

frankof

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 19:16 Profile Norway

W@@dy, most modern day OEM uses standard parts, the days of specially ordered parts are gone, so as long as pick the correct interface it will work.
The only issue you might run into is that the original drive has a "hidden" partition that contains the recovery info, normally you burn that on to one or more cd/dvd at first start.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 21:02 Profile United States

What's the model #?

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 23:27 Profile United States

Oooh...from memory it's an HP Media Center m706n

I just ordered RAM for it actually. It's a pretty old PC I think. I feel like it's 2003-ish. Maybe 2005. Not exactly sure when we got it. I was young.

I forgot about moving the OS over o.O lol
not exactly sure how I overlooked that...

We made a ton of recovery disks a while back, I remember that. I know there's a second partition that I can see. Idk if anything is on it though. Not exactly sure how it would have been cleared.

Ah well. I'll do it tomorrow.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 13:23 Profile United States

Is it a m7060n?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Photo...094NNI8

If so, then SATA drives for it are cheap and plentiful.

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 02:09 Profile

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

WoG, I know you'll like this:

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/138740/asus-motherboard-box-doubles-a-pc-case

the awesomeness of this cannot be overstated.

i've been thinking of patenting my laptop cooler and selling it as a single piece of cardboard that the user folds to the correct shape. i think i can even make it so that there are several holes pre-marked to be cut out, that way the user can line up the fan blowing into the computer with their intake holes/slots.

imagine for like $15-20 bucks you get a flat box that contains instructions, 3 fans wired to a USB end, and some industrial twist ties to mount everything.

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 02:13 Profile

W@@dy wrote:

Alright so my mom's harddrive is clicking/clacking more than usual and beyond the normal activity sound.

So we need a new one. My only question is if HP PC's need special HD's.
I know HP's don't follow the standards with RAM slots and other components.

I haven't really looked at the Mobo or HD connectors, but I'm assuming at this point it's just a regular IDE, but I figured I'd ask around before purchasing.

protip: you can check in the bios, most hp's have hidden the bios start screen. try f2 or f12 at startup. from there you'll be able to see if it's a sata drive or a ide drive. you can do this in windows too but you gotta go to the device manager.

as someone who used to actually do warranty repairs for HP, there is nothing special about what they use. it's all standard stuff, not like dell.

find a good deal on a new drive and get to cracking. you'll need a flashlight, a phillips head screwdriver, and a little patience to figure out how the old one comes out.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 12:17 Profile United States

Yeah, HP Media centers are absolutely [TOS Violation] when it comes to interior design.

This giant metal slab that's supposed to hold an external HD is literally about 1-2inches above the RAM and Rainbow wire slots

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 23:02 Profile United States

Just added 2gigs of Ram to the comp. Cleaned up the wires and other useless crap inside of there (except dust >.> )
It indeed is using sata.

Maxtor 200Gb. Aren't Maxtor's crap HD's? I remember reading something about absolute junk HD's. Maybe they were called Raptors or something though.

Anywho, thanks for the advice, picking an HD should be easy now. Just gonna make it fast.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 10:10 Profile United States

Confused.

I keep seeing prices for RAM like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...0145224

But the timings to me seem to SUCK. And they all have great ratings

What gives? I see other RAM with timings like 2.5 and 5. They're all DDR and DDR2 though

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 12:08 Profile United States

Another question!

I'm building a server for my bday. We have and old (OLD) Pc that I'm basically scrapping. However I'd like to save the PSU and Tower if possible.

I might actually replace the PSU though, because I'm thinking a new one will just be more reliable and energy efficient.

However for the tower, Idk if it will work with a new Mobo.
The one I'm looking at will fit, however it doesn't look like any of the standoffs fit with what the tower was provided.

Is there anyway to drill my own holes for the standoffs? What would you suggest?

This tower is from 1992 I believe. Somewhere around there. The whole PC was from 92, which is why I'm trashing most of the components.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 13:08 Profile United States

W@@dy wrote:

Confused.

I keep seeing prices for RAM like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...0145224

But the timings to me seem to SUCK. And they all have great ratings

What gives? I see other RAM with timings like 2.5 and 5. They're all DDR and DDR2 though

DDR3 has higher latency, but runs at higher frequency(1333MHz-2000MHz) than DDR(333 - 400) or DDR2(667-800), so timings aren't as important.

Keep in mind that even though DDR2 and DDR3 are both 240 pin, they are not compatible.

The Official Computer Building Help Thread 

« Previous Page        Page 45 of 47     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: