FAQ Support Issues
» See more topics

Page 1 of 47     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

The Official Computer Building Help Thread 

Paragon

Private First Class

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 11:24 Profile

Ok folks I see threads about building computers pop up just about every week so I figured it might be a good idea to create a single thread wherein the accumulated knowledge of R&R might be stored for future reference.

If you need help building a computer post here. Looking for a hardware review? Post here. Want thoughts on the specs of the rig you're building? Post them here. Want to know if another person here has a piece of hardware and what they think about it? Post...well you get the idea.

Just keep it on topic eh?

Halo_Rules

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 11:42 Profile

Some good Computer building tutorials, hardware reviews, places to buy stuff, etc:

AA System Requirements: http://www.americasarmy.com/su...amp;t=4
DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/windo...lt.aspx
Nvidia Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/content/...ers.asp
ATI Drivers: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Windows Update http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

If anyone needs any help I would gladly do so.

the_eleMent

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 13:01 Profile

Also another good one is www.tigerdirect.ca if you live in canada.

lunt

Recruit

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 10:52 Profile

Also www.ncix.com They are out of Vancouver....excellent ultra fast service and support....kick a%% prices too

MrSpiff

Sergeant

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 13:18 Profile

www.motherboards.org <--- great for mobo and other hardware reviews

http://storagereview.com/index.html <--- more info than you would ever want to know about hard drives, and reviews

Paragon

Private First Class

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 14:15 Profile

http://www.hardocp.com <---very nice site for reviews and interesting articles.

Sam Spade

Sergeant

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 16:52 Profile Israel

Embedded Image

Dr. Ashen's Tutorial!

DISCLAIMER: Dr. Ashen cannot, and by God will not, be held responsible for any harm or misfortune that befalls yourself or any of your belongings as a result of following this tutorial. The information in this tutorial is provided "as is" - no guarantees, warranties, promises or proposals of marriage are given or should be implied. Under no circumstances will Dr. Ashen or any of his wholly owned subsidiaries provide recompense for any loss of goods, earnings, health, hair, sanity or virginity incurred by following this tutorial. The value of investments can go down as well as up. Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it. Dr. Ashen should be considered dangerous, and should not be approached by members of the public.

I recommend extreme caution when following this tutorial,
I've lost a few fingers already!

DesertFox_59 {X}

First Sergeant

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 19:51 Profile

If you want to get a book, PC Building for Dummies isnt bad...

Hey, my dad got it (not me, I laughed at him)...

Halo_Rules

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 22:45 Profile

Mediator wrote:

...the 'accumulated knowledge of R&R' ? Laughing Laughing

Which can all be stored inside this book

Embedded Image

AmishGuerrilla

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 13 Oct 2004 03:45 Profile

Halo_Rules wrote:

Mediator wrote:

...the 'accumulated knowledge of R&R' ? Laughing Laughing

Which can all be stored inside this book

Embedded Image

Written in which you'd then find a complete text of my landmark treatise "Wai Tompootarz R Teh Devil" Razz

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 10:26 Profile

I will make this thread live a little. My next computer will be based on the s939. I have yet to decide my motherboard (AVI or Nforce, that's the question! :-) I saw too that newegg added many new processors this week for that socket. Prices will drop overall that's for sure. But anyway, for the motherboard I will make a choice soon. I'm just not sure how to decide my memory in the high end category (corsair, kingston, etc...) . I don't plan to overclock right after I get my stuff, so a 3200 makes sense, but I may overclock later, maybe in one year, so should I take the 3500 or higher and why choose a brand instead of another brand for pratically the same memory settings. Any suggestions ?

By the way I won't wait for the PCI express to get out for AMD. I will instead buy another motherboard in maybe one year instead. I don't want to pay a premium for that right now.

Varius

-=NNC=-Behindya

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 10:46 Profile

what is s939 ??

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 12:03 Profile

-=NNC=-Behindya wrote:

what is s939 ??

It's "s" for socket. The socket, the thing you put the processor in, have 939 "holes" in it to fit a processor with 939 pins. So we can say I want a motherboard having a "socket 939" or s939. Simple as that. Only a few processors (but since this week we have alot more processors ) exists with 939 pins in it for now. For now it's all AMD 64, but I think that the semprons that are coming will be the new "celeron" of AMD and I don't remember if these will be 64 bits.

Hope it helps Behindya. I don't wanna mess with you... :-)

Varius

-=NNC=-Behindya

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 12:22 Profile

varius wrote:

-=NNC=-Behindya wrote:

what is s939 ??

It's "s" for socket. The socket, the thing you put the processor in, have 939 "holes" in it to fit a processor with 939 pins. So we can say I want a motherboard having a "socket 939" or s939. Simple as that. Only a few processors (but since this week we have alot more processors ) exists with 939 pins in it for now. For now it's all AMD 64, but I think that the semprons that are coming will be the new "celeron" of AMD and I don't remember if these will be 64 bits.

Hope it helps Behindya. I don't wanna mess with you... :-)

Varius

heh -- very funny -- I assume you are referring to the infamous "Defending Texas" picture... Laughing

Thanks for the info -- I have been kicking around the idea of building a new machine -- and I have been looking at the AMD64, but haven't really sold myself on the benefits of the price premium yet.

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 13:10 Profile

Yes, how can we forget some of your pictures! :-)

Each day passing, the premium aspect is disapearing and we go toward the "sweet spot", considering that many new processors are out, now under 200$. If you think AMD 64, the way to go is the 939 for some good reasons, the way I see it.

Go to newegg and search 939 and you will get a good picture of the options you have.

Varius

The Official Computer Building Help Thread 

Page 1 of 47     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: