» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 4 of 5     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Autokick High Ping 

[Linux]KnightMare

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 21:34 Profile

Quote:

They dont "suck server bandwidth" that is a moronic statement. Ironically they use less bandwidth since they have a lower bps connection! Plus servers have a cap on bandwidth of 10000bps to each client, so you could be on cable or dialup, you can't "suck bandwidth"!

So what magical force is holding the data that is waiting to be sent to the uber lagger? How much memory/cache should we be using to compensate for these uber laggers? Do we need dual Xeon's with 2 gig memory for each node?

You get enough laggers forcing the server to hold the data, where does it go?

Quote:

What I find incredible is you guys are talking about pings of 300 or more being high enough to kick someone - what utter crap

300ms gone. My server my rules. And for some reason it is ALWAYS full. Hmm, wonder why that is.... I get up in middle of night, its full, get up for work full, home from work full....

I think i will take someones advice and write a script that will disconnect at a specified ping latency. Then release it to the public so we can rid the game of the uber lagger...

TonyEclipseGST

Private First Class

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 22:28 Profile

You can't just start kicking people for having high pings, I run a 210-300 ping on stat net in an east server but 90 % of the time I can still come out with a positive fragrate. And then what about Euro's that are playing with their clan in a US server because thats where all of them are playing.

[USMC]Pendragon

Sergeant Major

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 23:39 Profile Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Hasn't this been beaten enough? knightmare's been countered by at least 4 people, at least 1 who is a computer technician, one who is famous enough to have written an AA Tech Guide, and other people who have never experienced lag with high pingers. If he wants to play with low pingers, fine. But it's clear that most people don't mind the high pingers because they cause negligent problems.

I have played with a server full of 300+ pingers without any adverse side effects. Repeatedly. I have only experienced 1 minute of lag in over 20 hours of game time since the server fix. All other lag was attributed to my "Full Speed Ahead" ultra high settings, and the lag was instantly solved by flushing and dumpcaching.

PersianImmortal

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 02:55 Profile

[quote="knightmare1972"]
Quote:

So what magical force is holding the data that is waiting to be sent to the uber lagger? How much memory/cache should we be using to compensate for these uber laggers? Do we need dual Xeon's with 2 gig memory for each node?

Firstly, 300 ping is not an "uber lagger". 1000+ ping, maybe. 300 - no way.

Secondly, the server sends out the same information to all players, with less data to dialup users (e.g 5000bps vs 10000bps for cablers). The information that is sent is flowing along the internet to the player. A high ping reflects the fact that the information is taking longer to flow to the client. The server doesn't just sit there holding hundreds of KB of data.

Quote:

300ms gone. My server my rules. And for some reason it is ALWAYS full. Hmm, wonder why that is.... I get up in middle of night, its full, get up for work full, home from work full....

Maybe because people don't know the jerk that runs it? Seriously, if you want to live in a dreamland where superstition runs your decision making processes, that is your choice. Those of us with some clue are just clarifying the issue for others, so this sort of ignorant behaviour doesn't catch on.

Quote:

I think i will take someones advice and write a script that will disconnect at a specified ping latency. Then release it to the public so we can rid the game of the uber lagger...

Sure, go ahead and watch yourself get banned. Even if such a script were to work, all that would happen is that most morons like yourself would suddenly get on servers where everyone had less than 300 ping and find - lo and behold! - that the "lag" was your own cheap-[TOS Violation] computers struggling to render AA's graphics.

-=[10thSFG]=-Tater

Private First Class

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 02:56 Profile

If they implemented this there would be noone left to play untill they fix the Netcode.

The Devs really aren't here to cater to the community ...they are here to compile what the Army wishes...stop complaining ...as they are doing (their job) And yes, this topic is locked.

In short, you are already a statistic so Stuff it.

_Toe_Cutter_

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 09:00 Profile

knightmare1972 wrote:

You get enough laggers forcing the server to hold the data, where does it go?

Well since this is close to being a technical question, I'll answer it Very Happy.

The game (like most online multiplayer games) uses UDP packets to communicate between the client and server. This is a little different than most of the networking that the average user does, which uses TCP. You don't have to worry too much about the underlying details, but if you want to, please feel free to read http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc768.html and http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html, and do a google search on udp vs tcp.

One of the major benefits (among many) of using UDP is that when it sends out data, it does not really care whether or not the destination ever receives it, and it does not back up on the server, unlike TCP, which will back up. That way, if a crappy client connects to a decent server, the server will send off a bunch of data that might make it 90% of the way to the client, but will then get dropped on the floor, not by the server, but by some machine pretty close to the crappy client, thus not putting extra load on the server for crappy clients.

Personally, I've written code that uses both UDP and TCP (along with a couple of others), and both have their places, and the choice of which one to use is pretty application specific, but TCP is better for most. This category (multiplayer first person shooter) is one of the few that UDP should be used for.

Does that answer your question about where the data is going?

[Linux]KnightMare

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 16:29 Profile

Thanks toe_cutter for your well thought out and actually usefull message.
Quote:

Sure, go ahead and watch yourself get banned. Even if such a script were to work, all that would happen is that most morons like yourself would suddenly get on servers where everyone had less than 300 ping and find - lo and behold! - that the "lag" was your own cheap-[TOS Violation] computers struggling to render AA's graphics.

Banned for what again?? Talk is cheap... everyones a hero behind the keyboard.

And as for the script, it does work... Seems the "moron" has found his way to rid my game of laggers. But to make you feel better, i set the lag kick to 500ms

So, my problems are solved... Thanks for the laughs

allan m

Sergeant

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 19:50 Profile

If they kick all with pings over 300, there will be no one left to play, and that will absolutly solve the problem with lag.

thegeek187

Recruit

Posted: 20 Aug 2004 00:20 Profile

so what is someone ahs a high ping? a very good friend of mine plays on a dial up and is awsome.

And semi OT, to those people who dont realize that snipers are NOT on the front line, rather in the back "camping" and try to votekick them please stop playing the game

dan

_Toe_Cutter_

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 20 Aug 2004 10:17 Profile

knightmare1972 wrote:

Thanks toe_cutter for your well thought out and actually usefull message.

No problem - I love talking about networking, especially if it's really high performance/unusual stuff.

Off topic, but if you're interested, the BBC has just started (or will shortly) multicasting video. Neat stuff - see http://slashdot.org/article.pl...p;tid=1.

[777]Kosovo Sniper

Private First Class

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 03:22 Profile

I was kicked last night by some admin who did not want anyone playing on there server if there ping was above 300. Mine was 358 and got kicked. So those 1250-3000 pingers should just disconnect out of respect for the low ping folks. I hope i am not the subject of bullets, bricks and rock throwers who are on dial up.

Freakazoid{RnR}

Sergeant

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 04:45 Profile

[quote="LordHell"][quote="knightmare1972"]LordHell:

Your post is utter nonsense, I don't care how many networks you manage. It is apparent that you don't actually sit behind the Screen and PLAY with these uber laggers. Even on the Host machine, laggers will cause the gfx to get glitchy.

I stand by my post, seeing that i have seen this over and over and over again....

[quote]Infact, lower pings are more likely to make the server "laggy" for everyone than a higher ping.[/quote]

Good luck getting people to buy this one.... They actually pay you for this kind of crap?

Rubbish[/quote]

This post just screams out "The world is flat! The world is flat!".[/quote]

Oh, ya.

[quote]Infact, lower pings are more likely to make the server "laggy" for everyone than a higher ping.[/quote]

You're computer must really stink, then. O_o I never have that problem. In ANYgame.

skyfujin

Sergeant

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 04:32 Profile United States

I believe the world should [TOS Violation] burn far sooner then 2012.

r1pp3

Recruit

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 09:51 Profile Finland

Autokick should be added As soon as possible!.. theres always one or more guys afk, all the time(they propably join winning team and leave pc).. Players who's ping is 100+ for few rounds or are afk like 30secs should get kicked automaticly, so chat would be 'spamfree' from thesekinds of messages: "F5 Plz kick this afk/highpinger"..
make it for the community & the players who REALLY play this game ;) Ty <3

PinkPanther

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 10:25 Profile United States

Here's a very loose thought, we often discuss this and say that another players ping can not effect you or the server, because it's UDP, however the routers have to drop the traffic that's not being picked up, what I'm wondering is, when the client is lagging and their router is dropping packets they can't pick up I would think since they are getting the wrong packets then alot of the packets they are sending back would also be useless to the server and have to be dropped.

Example:

And this is very, very basic here and just to illustrate.

Client is trying to tell the server it's climbing the stairs at X
Server is trying to correct client and let them know they are a block away from the stairs
Client is overloaded and these packets are dropping
Client still tries to climb stairs and server still tries to correct

Now my questions are:

1. Do the routers at both ends have to work harder dropping these packets?
2. Do the server and client have to work harder to create the packets to try and correct the positions because of the waste?
3. Could this cause a flood type condition?

Granted this may not be in issue when things are working as they should, but what about when they are not?

Last edited by PinkPanther on 07 Oct 2009 10:43; edited 4 times in total

Autokick High Ping 

« Previous Page        Page 4 of 5     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: