Server Admin Info
AA3 Easter Egg's
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 2     

My new PC build! (opinions?) 

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 13:31 Profile

oh ok. i guess those things i've been playing on my laptop aren't games.

hey greeneyes, why don't you try to get in touch with Micheal Dell and let him know that Alienware is destined to fail since people can't buy gaming laptops.

i guess my 1GB GTX260m isn't for gaming either. they must've just put all that ram on it so it would run solitare really good.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 13:40 Profile Satellite Provider

well now it seems to me that the analysis in this regard depends only on the personal opinion of each one of us.
in my opinion laptops does not provide a good gaming.

Embedded Image

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 14:37 Profile United States

Quote:

Guys, guys! Look at us. Squabbling. Bickering. Like children. What's happening to us? We never used to be like this.

Laptops have their uses, and can perform quite well for gaming, but there tends to be a premium for that performance, be it cost, battery life, heat. But for raw performance and versatility as far as DIY, desktops are where it's at.

What holds laptops back from being a upgradeable or customizable as desktops is the lack of a form factor standard. This means there are no interchangeable parts for laptops The only thing that comes close to doing so is NVIDIA's MXM, which has seen very limited adoption with manufacturers.

Embedded Image

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 15:52 Profile

that's what asus and alienware use for their cards. that's why they're upgradable. the problem with asus is they turn the mxm slot around so basically only asus cards will work in them.

in the past decade we've seen laptops come from being a tool for professionals to a tool of the masses. used to be that a low end laptop was 1000 dollars easy, nowadays a low end laptop can be had for as little as 300.

from a manufactuerer standpoint laptops make more sense, as when they become outdated people tend to sell them and buy new ones, as opposed to the several years of upgrading one gets out of a desktop. also lcd tech has improved greatly and each newer generation brings us a higher pixel count and 3d.

sure battery life is a joke once you fire up that video card, but that's what the power plug is for.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 22:08 Profile United States

Laptops.
in their current state.
are not.
Nearly.
as futureproof
as Desktops.

End of discussion.

For future proof...well...honestly, don't go all out. There's a number of technologies coming out for the PC in a few short years (2015-ish)
such as DDR4 and Graphene processors (although that may be later than 2015. not too sure).

I wouldn't bother getting an SSD yet. Just get a mobo that supports it. SSD's will drop in price in a year or two (maybe sooner).

In my opinion, though, if you're a gamer, or someone who just wants high quality/speed computer parts, there's no such thing as futureproof outside of the Mobo. You'll just always be having to change everything.

If you're a casual user that knows little to nothing about computers that only does email and facebook, then you could probably get a 2003 computer and be future proof up to 2020 >.>

Which is basically how Mac makes their money I suppose. They prey on the ignorant...
"THIS REVOLUTIONIZES EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING AND YOU MUST HAVE IT BECAUSE IT'S BETTER THAN ANYTHING AND ONLY $999"
when it's really not much better than last years model. Maybe just a new GUI and a camera on the front >.>
They do it
every
single
year.

I hate Apple...

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 22:42 Profile

that's just Apple's schtick, you know. they're marketing gurus really. like Jobs has said, they're basically the only company left that makes the whole widget.

that said, "future proofing" is a buzz word created to get consumers to spend more money on parts for more exotic technologies (faster ram, newer sockets for CPU's, more connections for HD's when the reality is you'll have two hooked up at most) than you really need.

people who build computers know how to go cheap without going too cheap. stick with a name brand company that has a solid reputation for stuff.

Asus for boards
Corsair for memory
AMD or Intel for CPU (depending on what you prefer)

companies like these get their reputation not from marketing but from people who buy their stuff, use it, and find it to be high quality.

what i'm getting at it is this, you can spend a ton of money when building a box, especially when you start talking about future-proofing, but you should try to ignore that and build something solid. save the extra cash, it'll be future-proof for sure.

besides if you buy quality components, you'll be able to use them in a newer build on down the road. a good video card is always a good video card. a good sound card doesn't really change much. same with the drives, power supply, and case.

i like to tinker with cars for a hobby. in relation to my current project, i'm installing a 2002 or newer GM 5.3L engine in my 1977 Buick Skylark. now i could go all out if i wanted and blow $2500 on a new crate motor (without the Fuel Injection equipment or any accessories), or i can go to a junkyard and get one with everything and 100,000 miles on it for about $700.

since the motors are good for 300,000 miles, and i'm not exactly building a show car here, i'll go with the junkyard motor.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 01 Apr 2011 11:28 Profile United States

Is Corsair good? I've read good comments, but never bought any. I started with GSkill and I haven't had any complaints yet.
But, I mean, it's RAM. If it works, then it works. I've never done any testing on speeds and can't compare them to any other brand.

Asus is definitely a good brand, but they're more expensive. I'd like to believe that part of the expense is going towards they're name.
But they're name includes reliability and good support.

Speaking of motherboards,
I almost bought a Foxconn for a cheap computer. Did some research and found out they're employees are treated pretty badly. They had something like 30 suicides at one point within the company o.o
Reports of physical abuse and what not from something like 20% of employees, and a higher percentage reported other abuses.
Sooo....stay away from foxconn if you don't like that >.> I heard they're going under anyway.

frankof

Posted: 01 Apr 2011 11:38 Profile Norway

W@@dy wrote:

I heard they're going under anyway.

That would be some shocking news, Foxconn is a really huge actor on the OEM market, lots of cheap brand computers contain one or more component from that company.
Lately they have set their eyes on the "performance" market also, selling performance parts under their own brand.
(they sold something like 5 million motherboards under their own brand in 2010)

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 01 Apr 2011 14:00 Profile

yeah foxconn makes parts the other makers use to make their boards.

asus was founded by former acer employees. most of their gear is high (vid cards, sound cards, etc) but their boards are usually pretty cheap as long as you opt to not buy the deluxe versions, which usually include features people don't use anyway.

corsair is good, but i don't buy their high performance line. seems like it's for suckers and overclockers. i buy their Value Select ram when i used to get it. never had a bad chip, and the ones i bought i gave to a friend of mine for his comp, he's now building a new one and giving them back to me for a little server i'm going to make. so they've been around the block and still work great.

most of the different ram manufacturers just repackage someone else chips anyway. samsung is a big maker of the chips themselves, i've seen their markings on nvidia cards even.

next time you get to poking around in your comp look for Foxconn's logo. i bet it's in at least two spots. probably on one of the connectors and almost certainly on the CPU socket.

frankof

Posted: 01 Apr 2011 15:43 Profile Norway

wrath_of_grunge wrote:

next time you get to poking around in your comp look for Foxconn's logo. i bet it's in at least two spots. probably on one of the connectors and almost certainly on the CPU socket.

I hope not as, IIRC, they burned when O/C Cheesy Grin

nikooo111

Sergeant

Posted: 02 Apr 2011 19:13 Profile Sweden

i see a nice discussion going on here, always good to learn more!

here is a update this is what i have ordered, and should be receiving it this coming week!

ASRock P67 Extreme 6 REV B3
Corsair SSD Force Series 120GB
Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz
Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1536MB
Cooler Master HAF X ATX
Samsung SH-S223 22X Lightscribe DL SATA Svart
ESD hand wrist band
Corsair AX 1200W 80+ GOLD

as you can see i made some changes as the PSU i switched from 850W to 1200W (Fully Modular) so that i can update the pc in the future with 1 or 2 more additional GPU's.

i can barely wait lol its going to be fun i hope to build my 1st PC on my own and test AA3 on it Smile.
I hope i will get more then 5-20FPS as i currently have lol!

My new PC build! (opinions?) 

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 2     

Jump to: