AA3.0.6 Update
» See more topics

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

My new PC build! (opinions?) 

nikooo111

Sergeant

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 17:31 Profile Sweden

whats your opinion about this PC?
its joust a preliminary build for now haven't bought nothing yet but eventually i will!

Is the mother board good thats the only thing im bad at picking i dont know witch i should choose really!
my goal is to build a future proof PC so that it will last for some years to come and i planed on joust upgrading the GPU to 2way SLI and the RAM if and when needed!

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 REV B3----------------------------------------300$
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ----------------------------------45$
Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz-----------------------------------------------240$
Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE-------------------80$
Noctua NH-D14--------------------------------------------------------------- 68$
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 (OC) 1536MB----------------------------420$
Corsair HX 850W 80+-------------------------------------------------------136$
Cooler Master HAF X ATX---------------------------------------------------159$

NOTE: that the pricing is not 100% accurate since i roughly calculated the currency from swedish KR to US Dollar!

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 18:06 Profile Satellite Provider

thats a good configuration.
if was me i would go for a ASUS board. and maybe a SSD.
http://usa.asus.com/product.as...plete=2

Embedded Image

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 21:22 Profile United States

any reason that you went with the 1155 socket vs the 1366?

nikooo111

Sergeant

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 23:57 Profile Sweden

greeneyes wrote:

thats a good configuration.
if was me i would go for a ASUS board. and maybe a SSD.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n&templete=2

Well the reason why i chose the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 REV B3 motherboard was becouse its one of the rare Mobo's that can run 2way SLI x16 x16!

But i joust found out a few hours ago that its got no better performance running both GPU's with x16 x16 compared to the x8 x8 PCI Express lanes, infact in some cases the x8 x8 setup was performing a little bit better so it changed my mind on the Motherboard selection,
witch means i will go for a cheaper motherboard at least half the price and still get the same performance and power!

you can read all about the x16 x16 vs x8 x8 GPU's here!

Now since i managed to save 50% of the money on the Motherboard im going to spend it on a SSD Smile

m_hermann wrote:

any reason that you went with the 1155 socket vs the 1366?

Well the reason i chose the 1155 Socket is that its supposedly the next Gen Socket witch means the 1366 will be limited from here on out,
since all the new stuff that will be coming out is going to be adapted for the 1155 Socket, So i thought that investing in a "Future Proof" PC one must or should chose the 1155 Socket.
That is the reason why i chose the 1155 Socket correct me if im wrong or if you know something more about the difference's, or if you got any thoughts about them!

frankof

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 04:49 Profile Norway

1155 is the follow up to 1156, 1366 will be followed by 2011 in Q4 this year.
1155 is the "mainstream" platform, while 2011 is the "enthusiast" ditto.

the platforms is targeted at different audiences.

Oh, and btw nikoo, seen this?
http://www.sweclockers.com/for...koprad/

nikooo111

Sergeant

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 08:09 Profile Sweden

frankof wrote:

1155 is the follow up to 1156, 1366 will be followed by 2011 in Q4 this year.
1155 is the "mainstream" platform, while 2011 is the "enthusiast" ditto.

the platforms is targeted at different audiences.

Oh, and btw nikoo, seen this?
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/86-stationara-datorer-koprad/

thanks Frankof for clearing it out in such a easy way about the difference in socket's.

and yea i have or i already am a member of that site "forum" if you look actually i posted or helped some ppl with advice and i also got some advice from there too its a awesome site!

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 16:14 Profile

buy a decent laptop. problem solved.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 19:20 Profile United States

But if you want longevity (I hate using "future proof" in association with computers) a laptop isn't going to be as good as a desktop. With a desktop you can upgrade any component as needed, while with a laptop you can usually only upgrade RAM and HDD. GPU and CPU upgrades are difficult if not downright impossible on a laptop.

Embedded Image

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 19:49 Profile

not necessarily true. my asus laptop features a removable GPU and CPU. that's not to say it's worth it to rip out the old one and try to shoehorn in a new one, but all the same laptops are the future of computing. i predict that within 10 years, desktops will be a thing of the past. giving way to more portable and smaller form factor pc's.

if you want something that's future proof, sit on your cash. it never becomes obsolete.

darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 21:00 Profile Sierra Leone

wrath_of_grunge wrote:

if you want something that's future proof, sit on your cash. it never becomes obsolete.

inflation, turn it to gold first.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 23:45 Profile United States

I can see the mainstream, e-mailin', youtubin', netflixin' user or casual gamer going with laptops more, but for enthusiast gaming or overclocking I don't think the desktop will ever die. Kinda like how vinyl was supposed to die when CDs became mainstream.

nikooo111

Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 05:22 Profile Sweden

wrath_of_grunge wrote:

lol to buy a laptop in the Same class as the PC components above witch cost me about 1200$ a laptop would cost me 4000$ witch is insane and also laptops with this power would die really quick since they have problems with Heat and power any how! So until they come up with a Hologram 3D laptops or portable pc's il continue to Build Gaming Stationary pc!

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 05:49 Profile

not so. my G51 is pushing 3 years old and is still handling newer games. true it's starting to show it's age. but considering i bought it for $1000 new, and it has a 2Ghz Core2Duo that i regularly overclock to 2.3Ghz. it can actually accomodate up to a 3.06Ghz C2D. the higher end models used quad cores.

the newer ones are even more insane. 9 cell batteries (gets you about 2-3 hours of run time), 2GB Video Cards will be out this year. 8GB of ram, two hd slots, and built in 3d gaming.

all that for about $1500. the only real difference going on in laptops these days is that they're doing more with less juice. rule of thumb used to be that laptops were significantly weaker, or couldn't be upgraded, or etc...

that's really been going away in the last few years. sure you can blow money on a alienware, but several other companies are vying for your dollar and will give you more for less.

so you like having a desktop, that's cool. but unless you're going to walmart, picking up a e-machine, and throwing some ram and a vid card in it, it's getting harder and harder to beat prices on a decent laptop.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g5...30.html <--- there's a good one, price is $1350

i digress dude, i'm sorry. you asked for some help on a desktop and i went off on a tangent about laptops. that's my bad. i do hate to see people waste money though, and really if you're paying 1200 for a desktop you're building yourself, well that just seems a little high, that's all.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 08:10 Profile Norway

wrath_of_grunge wrote:

why not just buy a mac, while you are at it?

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 12:05 Profile Satellite Provider

You can buy a hybrid, you can buy a russian rifle, you can buy a chinese phone, you cant buy a laptop for gaming.

My new PC build! (opinions?) 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: