» See more topics

Page 1 of 4     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Inducing movement lag? 

Fingergrass

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 06:54 Profile Satellite Provider

Hello.
My revolutionary and unique idea is: introduce "smooth" movement lag for aiming weapons.
Sure it would be a mess at start, but in the long run it would give beginners a fair chance against quick-handed veterans.
Hack coders would have to work extra for their programs to work well, and also because of the movement restriction their effectiveness could be diminished greatly. Right now as in pretty much all shooters you can turn 360 degrees in less than a second. With sights aimed down...

inb4 bash and "nobody else has ever done it before so it's stupid".

Embedded Image

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 07:13 Profile United States

Sounds like you mean adding inertia to the weapon. Not being able to swing 4.5 pounds on a dime.

Fingergrass

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 07:25 Profile Satellite Provider

That's right. Also thinking about the SAW since some people say it's used by rambos.

I'll throw this in for color.
Embedded Image

(Edited for pic.)

Last edited by Fingergrass on 28 Mar 2011 07:53; edited 1 time in total
Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 08:09 Profile United States

inertia..ok. But I don't think it really works to compensate for lag. Just so that it'll make it harder for someone to shoot at you if you're not particularly good.

For lag, movement would probably have to be "predicted" that the player would continue his course of path. In AA2, it was easy to see lag occur when people had "frozen" while in motion, rather than actually moving. That way, the server can actually pick off where you would have ended up, and you can re-orientate yourself there. It's kind of like running in circles until you forget where you were exactly, then position yourself relative to your surroundings. It worked in Wolfenstein: ET. Though, the way they did it, sometimes you're actually left back to where you were when the lag occurred. Latency would still ultimately be the caveat of realistic gaming for 'real-time' results. Players just have to adjust the way they play IMO.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 08:56 Profile Satellite Provider

the only way to compensate for the lag is formalizes it as a function of the game, since it is already a permanent function.

Embedded Image

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 11:35 Profile

Reduce lag = better service providers not ona a shared vitrual network thats an idea all in it self

Wonkss

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 11:58 Profile Canada

How about you fix the game so people dont need to spend 250+ a month on a server this game is in bad shape and saying make lag on guns is stupid..You guys make it sound like american soldiers are a bunch of wimpy babies who cant handle thier own weapons.....If you guys played the game like the vets( hours of free time spent) maybe you wouldnt be thinking of that.. its really lame for you to change game play because you suck at the game itself.....How bout we put training wheels on the dang guns for the people who think they are good enough to run wih the big dogs when really they are still peeing on the porch with the puppies

965be@4.0ghz, 4gb ddr3 1600,ga-790fxta-ud5,corsair f60 boot drive,hd6870oc,samsung 2494hm
Logitech g15 keyboard,Cyborg Rat7,magalodon hp

dgodfather

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 14:29 Profile United States

So let's level the playing field for beginners? Seriously....

You become a veteran by putting in TIME and patience. I don't see how this would be realistic or any fun if everyone played at the same level. Server honor level filters should be introduced to allow you restrict the type of skill in your rooms. I can see it from both sides, but putting a game changing restriction like inertia in the game probably isn't the better idea.

If you want inertia then each person should be able to decide if their person is skinny and weak or big and strong as wonks had somewhat indicated.

Embedded Image

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 16:04 Profile United States

dgodfather wrote:

So let's level the playing field for beginners? Seriously....

You become a veteran by putting in TIME and patience. I don't see how this would be realistic or any fun if everyone played at the same level. Server honor level filters should be introduced to allow you restrict the type of skill in your rooms. I can see it from both sides, but putting a game changing restriction like inertia in the game probably isn't the better idea.

If you want inertia then each person should be able to decide if their person is skinny and weak or big and strong as wonks had somewhat indicated.

How does one make filters on skill? It's like being picked last for dodgeball.

dgodfather

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 17:30 Profile United States

Did I hit a sore spot?

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 17:46 Profile Satellite Provider

a skilled player play it good no matter what, it seems some people are afraid of loosing some run&gun "skills".
so i said, this game have the wrong player base, they are equivalent to player base of some arcade games, just like they like to play for free with realistic weapons. what they want is a run&gun arcade game similar to others which they claim to hate.

Wonkss

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 20:15 Profile Canada

Where do you come up with this info..I as well as many other "GOOD" players can run & gun as well as camp or move slowly so where you get your info is completely wrong im not sure why people call running and gunning a bad thing in the first place you can kill runner very easy as many of them know and that makes a good player better? the ability to adapt to the game and the situation with in that server/match

Best player with most honor,points(medic as well as the other points),kills maybe length of life alive kinda like how aa2 works for gun choices....

darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 01:34 Profile Sierra Leone

running and gunning bad thing in the first place cause this game becomes call of america's army, instead of the tactical shooter that made it great.

dgodfather

Private First Class

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 07:42 Profile United States

People are going to find another way to run and gun you down. Game changes are not going to stop that. People will adapt and you will then have a new problem and want a new change. The game as it is allows for you to adapt how you need to. We run and gun when we think we can, but if we are put up against a challenge then we take our time and use tactics.

You can't expect to lean out or sit behind something and stare down a long hallway and expect to kill anyone just because you are in a prone position. A good shot can spray you down in movement, or communicate with teammates and have another soldier come through another direction and drop you from the side or back. If you want to get better you put in your time and learn the game, not change it.

Fingergrass

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 07:59 Profile Satellite Provider

dgodfather wrote:

If you want to get better you put in your time and learn the game, not change it.

This suggestion thread is not about us becoming better at the game, but the game becoming better for us. I personally think the change I'm proposing will add realism by forcing people even more to work as a team.

Inducing movement lag? 

Page 1 of 4     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: