AA3 Known Issues
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 2     

NVIDIA GTX590 (burns) 

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 13:10 Profile United States

greeneyes wrote:

Nvidia recommends not to overclock GTX 590, then we're basically buying two underclocked gpu's..lawl.

There's nary a manufacturer out there that doesn't advise against overclocking. Overclocking will still void the warranty of just about every component that can be overclocked(if the manufacturer finds out).

In essence, yes, a 590 is two underclocked 580 GPUs on one card. Multiple reviews have shown the card a being capable of reaching respectable overclocks on recommended voltages.

Quote:

"Note on GeForce GTX 590 Overcurrent Protection and Overclocking

In the web release driver of GeForce GTX 590, we have added some important enhancements to our overcurrent protection for overclocking. We recommend anyone doing overclocking or running stress apps to always use the latest web driver to get the fullest protection for your hardware. Please note that overcurrent protection does not eliminate the risks of overclocking, and hardware damage is possible, particularly when overvoltaging. We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking, and avoid working around overcurrent protection mechanisms for stress applications. This will help maintain GTX 590’s great combination of acoustics, performance, and reliability. NVIDIA has worked with several water-cooling companies to develop water blocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk."

There's nothing in that statement that isn't chapter and verse for overclocking. Every component has a safe voltage range. Overvolting is the sure-fire way to shorten(sometimes dramatically) a components lifespan.

Embedded Image

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 19:09 Profile Satellite Provider

they said "We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking" which is basically the same, when overclocking we need always to adjust voltages in order to manage a stable overclock. of course always inside of safe range. with GTX 590 we cant do that, is simple. at least with stock cooler. not very a good thing when the competition has no such limitation, by principle.
either way i was expecting much more from this GTX590, especially after seeing what GTX580 are capable.
if i was a buyer would exclude this one, for now.

Embedded Image

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 19:56 Profile United States

Overclocking doesn't always involve raising voltages. Lots of people push their CPUs and GPU to the highest that stock voltage can achieve. I do this myself during the summer months to cut down on the heat my rig produces. My GTX460 is overclocked to 825MHz on stock voltage. MY Q6700 can hit 3GHz on stock as well.

There's not a huge difference in performance between a GTX 590 and GTX 580 SLI. Especially when you look at power consumption, heat, noise and price.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 10:10 Profile United States

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/...ex.html

Quote:

As always, there's a risk when it comes to adjusting the voltage and while more often than not we think manufacturers won't offer us higher than what is safe, it's of course important to remember that you do increase the voltage at your own risk.

Quote:

Some websites have said the issue is isolated to the ForceWare 267.52 drivers, but this isn't true as we only tested on the FW 267.71 driver and ours did die as well when overclocking.

I pretty much knew form the start that drivers weren't the culprit. Turns out it was idiots thinking "A 580 can take 1.2v, so a 590 should be able to as well" even after NVIDIA advised them of safe voltages when they sent out the test samples.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 16:29 Profile Satellite Provider

nothing against to this card, its ok but as i said expected more juice from it. we have to agree that 613 MHz are pretty low when compared with 772 MHz from GTX 580. it is normal that people want or need to overclock.
obviously those who buy such a graphic always wants to extract more juice of it for such overclocking this card should be faced as a normal thing.

talking a bit about the competing brand, HD6990 has 2 bios that allows to overclock (frequency and voltage) just with a simple click. and it has 830MHz (default bios), 880MHz (overclocked bios). but it can go easily to 960 MHz widely beating the GTX 590 getting a performance identical to 2 GTX 580 SLI.
http://www.tweaktown.com/revie...x5.html

when they said "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 Is World's Fastest Graphics Card" should have said "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 Is World's Fastest Graphics Card To Burn". lawl.

Quote:

NVIDIA have recently released their explosive GeForce GTX 590 dual-GPU video card and stated that it was the "World's Fastest Graphics Card" yet, never proved this with an industry-standard benchmark like 3DMark 11.
AMD have called them out on this and directly asked NVIDIA to "prove it, don't just say it". Dem be fighting words meester. Fisty Cuffs, go! AMD also listed a bunch of review sites pointing to their HD 6990 beating out the GTX 590.

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 17:56 Profile United States

Actually, the 590's clocks aren't too low considering it's essentially 2 dual-slot GPUs crammed into one dual-slot card. And if a straight clock-for-clock comparison were made, the 590 is more powerful than the 6990.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 18:19 Profile Satellite Provider

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

the 590 is more powerful than the 6990.

nope.

http://www.overclockersclub.co...0/2.htm

only with two or three applications at low resolutions the GTX590 gets a few points more.
at high resolutions HD6990 won all benchmarks. in general the HD6990 wins by a wide margin (stock).

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 22:36 Profile United States

I said clock-for-clock the 590 is more powerful. In that review the 590 OC'd to 675MHz.. Stock clock of the 6990 is 830MHz(?). So with a 155MHz clock advantage, the 6990 only gains a 10-15 FPS advantage at best. Clock the 6990 down to 675MHz and it would not stack up to the 590 at that speed.

NVIDIA GTX590 (burns) 

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 2     

Jump to: