That's tragic, Ouch! Shocked

Embedded Image

frankof

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 11:01 Profile Norway

Fun info, they fried two of them Mr Green

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 11:52 Profile Satellite Provider

it seems the driver was the cause (i have my doubts). voltage and clocks were pretty low.
looks like a once again Nvidia fail.

frankof

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 12:21 Profile Norway

The Sweclockers crew fried the first card with some gentle overvolting it was something like1.02V, they then switched to working drivers and did their revue.
When that was done, they teamed up with one of the card supplier and rolled back the drivers and recreated the incident, the film is the second card burning up

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 14:14 Profile United States

The plot thickens:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com...frying/

Quote:

While using the beta drivers which were not intended for release, some reviewers willingly took the voltages of their GTX 590s far past NVIDIA’s limits or recommendations.

Beta drivers are always used at your own risk, and any component can be fried with too much voltage, regardless of the drivers.

Embedded Image

frankof

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 16:17 Profile Norway

they used the drivers Nvidia shipped with the card (267.52), the voltage was 1.025V, not anywhere close to the 1.2V Nvidia claims, and they did it twice with the same result.

Bozy

Volunteer Community Manager
Volunteer Community Manager

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 16:23 Profile United Kingdom

Not advisable to go out and buy one then ? Laughing

Buckaroo Banzai

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 16:57 Profile United States

Perfectly safe to buy, just don't use the 267.52 drivers. Download 267.85 directly from NVIDIA.

Strangely, these faulty drivers are nowhere to bee seen on any of the overclocking forums I frequent. Not even Guru3D, which usually sniffs out beta or modded drivers from numerous sources(EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc).

So far I've only seen two separate cases of cards being fried and one of them was indeed overvolted and not using the suspect drivers:

http://www.techpowerup.com/rev...26.html

Quote:

Drivers: GTX 590: 267.71

Quote:

Moving on, I tried 1.2 V to see how much could be gained here, at default clocks and with NVIDIA's power limiter enabled.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:44 Profile Satellite Provider

some of the first NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 video cards to ship come with Forceware 267.52 drivers.

EagleReid

Volunteer
Volunteer

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:48 Profile United States

I think I will just buy a 580 instead after seeing this Very Happy

* I've been in the Virtual Army Experience
* Eagle Scout
HOOAH!

Danlo

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 06:30 Profile United Kingdom

Some cheaper versions (cheaper than a 590) of the 580 appear to out perform the top the range 590's anyway

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 08:47 Profile Satellite Provider

Nvidia recommends not to overclock GTX 590, then we're basically buying two underclocked gpu's..lawl.

Quote:

"Note on GeForce GTX 590 Overcurrent Protection and Overclocking

In the web release driver of GeForce GTX 590, we have added some important enhancements to our overcurrent protection for overclocking. We recommend anyone doing overclocking or running stress apps to always use the latest web driver to get the fullest protection for your hardware. Please note that overcurrent protection does not eliminate the risks of overclocking, and hardware damage is possible, particularly when overvoltaging. We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking, and avoid working around overcurrent protection mechanisms for stress applications. This will help maintain GTX 590’s great combination of acoustics, performance, and reliability. NVIDIA has worked with several water-cooling companies to develop water blocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk."

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 09:57 Profile United States

It's tough to tell from the video, but looks like a single component on the board smoked, rather than the GPU.

frankof

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 10:19 Profile Norway

m_hermann wrote:

It's tough to tell from the video, but looks like a single component on the board smoked, rather than the GPU.

As i understood it, its a component that is fairly easy to change and is often used as a "fuse" without actually being a regular fuse, bridge it and repeat the test and you will fry more important components.

NVIDIA GTX590 (burns) 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: