AA3 YouTube Videos
Community Sites
» See more topics

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

What happened to the good old days? 

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 21:01 Profile Satellite Provider

I will make these words mine because they accurately reflect my state of mind, besides being an excellent opinion on the matter.

Quote:

My first RPG was Ultima on a family member's NES, but the first game I ever played was DuckHunt when my dad brought home an NES when I still lived in Georgia. Later on I went to the Turbo Graphix 16 DUO when I moved back to New York, and played Ys and Lords of Thunder. Then on the SNES I played the Final Fantasy series for the first time. In short, I didn't start with Atari and I am only 26, but I am old enough to have played quite a lot of games by now.

All those games I mentioned were packaged complete. There was no issues about games being rushed or being released unstable. They came packaged as a finished product. DuckHunt didn't have any targetting bugs or programming errors. RPGs had a complete battle system that didn't bug out. Even N64 and Sega Saturn games are in a complete & stable state on release. Some of these games sell for a lot on money on ebay to this very day, while others continue to be a cult hit more popular now than ever, many years after the fact, going so far as to be translated, and thus reprogrammed to fit the text, as a hobby for absolutely free in volunteer's spare time.

I played the Suikoden series about 10 or 15 times. I played breath of fire many times, and played it again when a german student completely reprogrammed the game with updated textbox and graphics in a completely stable state regardless of his lack of experience in the industry, for absolutely free. Until somewhere around 1995ish, given or take a few years, I would play certain games for many many hours.

Then at some point after or during 1995 that went in a completely different direction. That was about when I stopped buying video games as much as I had previously. Before that, I bought every Final Fantasy game as soon as it was released. I had a whole collection of Turbo Graphix 16 games that I still sometimes play today. But then I started buying games during the PSX era that were cut down to less than 20 hours of gaming time. The MegaMan RPG games were some of the best RPGs I ever played, and they were cut down to less than 15 hours each. That was the average.

Obviously today you have RPG games like Morrowind and FPS games like CounterStrike that people play for hundreds of hours, but these are only 6 or 7 games total, if that. Today most games are rushed for $$$$$ by the publisher that keeps taking a crap on itself and moves to make up for the loss by moving faster which causes them to trip over themselves continuously and thus lose even more of their base market--taking a crap on themselves all over again.

In short, today games are released in an utterly chaotic state, for various different reasons. So chaotic are games like VTMBloodlines that the lack of income and base would cause the development company to cave in under pressure and be lost forever. Practically every game Bethesda releases is released broken and incomplete.

But these are PC games. Everyone expects PC games to be released somewhat incomplete to some degree. It's always been that way more or less. What I didn't expect to happen was the same thing to domino into the consoles. I understand that the XBOX 360 was designed to be somewhat similar to a PC so that porting to and from the PC could be easier. But practically all games released today on every single console, from the PS3 to the 360, are released far too quick, untested and thus way too broken, thus requiring patches.

I never thought I would see the day where a console game would require a patch. Maybe I'm just getting old. I feel like 30 is just around the corner. But I never thought it would be like this. Games like Mass Effect are still just as short as MegaMan Legends, and most games released today are way more broken than they would have been otherwise if they had been tested a month or two before release. But that doesn't happen. And any complaints are scoffed by fanboys who would hear nothing of it, proclaiming free speech to be "projecting" which is nothing of the sort. Games released today are, in my opinion, complete and utter garbage, and yet companies like Square(enix) can still release a game in a somewhat stable design even today while branching out to different markets--like the PC.

So WHAT THE HECK happened? I don't know what to tell myself. For the last 15 years it has just kept going downhill year after year. I used to say to myself, "I've had enough, I am going to the consoles where I don't have to put up with this crap!", but that isn't true anymore, is it? Even some console games are released broken.

So what happened? Is it that development has been passed on to a new generation with less experience? Is it because publishers simply crap on themselves in continuous flows of brown and green digested fluid? Perhaps it's not the developers at all, but is simply the publishers that shorten development and rush the game for $$$$$ while thus crapping on themselves in the process when everyone starts to cry foul at a broken and incomplete game.
What is it? Does anybody know?

Originally posted by Talus057

What do you think about this? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

David

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 23:38 Profile United States

Wii.

Wii's don't have this issue with the games I play.

Well to be fair, Legend of Zelda for the Wii does actually have a few glitches. But they're those "Who would have ever thought that could happen" kinda glitches and a few "Those glitches are pretty much inevitable" (ie. saving RIGHT after killing certain monsters causes them to never respawn on next load in certain areas)

I never ran into them though.

Other than that, I'd pretty much agree with everything he said.

But also, games were a LOT less complex back then. I mean hit detection back then...it was just a simple if statement. Hell I made pong in C# with barely any understanding of programming outside my TI-84+

Games today...they have to deal with multiplayer via internet. Not just small LAN parties.
That's a pretty big feat to even out hitbox detection accounting for ping, lag, etc etc.

But I agree, I'd like games to be a bit more complete before being released.

Also: Mario Kart and Brawl pwn

Lich[001]

Sergeant

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 11:50 Profile

Gaming has never been more alive or vibrant as it is today. We lost some talent when the community moved from small, independent development houses to larger sponsored ones, but we gained a lot of stability.

There are still incredible games being made today, both by corporate houses and indie developers. Heck, Steam - a corporate delivery mechanism - has had a huge impact on the ability for indie developers to make hilariously quirky games and then sell them for significant profit to a huge audience.

If he seriously thinks it was VTM that killed Troika Games he really shouldn't be allowed to discuss the gaming community at large.

This entire thing reads like a "Back in my day!" rant - complete with nostalgia goggles. He complains about Bethesda games being "broken" out of the box (never mind that they've always been like that, even when they produced Arena and Daggerfall back in his "glory days" of gaming) yet doesn't seem to mention Myth 2 literally destroying your computer if you uninstalled it back in the day.

Anyone who puts the "glory days" of gaming in the mid-nineties is highly suspect as it is.

tl;dr

Bollocks.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 13:44 Profile Norway

W@@dy wrote:

Wii.

Wii's don't have this issue with the games I play.

Well to be fair, Legend of Zelda for the Wii does actually have a few glitches. But they're those "Who would have ever thought that could happen" kinda glitches and a few "Those glitches are pretty much inevitable" (ie. saving RIGHT after killing certain monsters causes them to never respawn on next load in certain areas)

I never ran into them though.

Other than that, I'd pretty much agree with everything he said.

But also, games were a LOT less complex back then. I mean hit detection back then...it was just a simple if statement. Hell I made pong in C# with barely any understanding of programming outside my TI-84+

Games today...they have to deal with multiplayer via internet. Not just small LAN parties.
That's a pretty big feat to even out hitbox detection accounting for ping, lag, etc etc.

But I agree, I'd like games to be a bit more complete before being released.

Also: Mario Kart and Brawl pwn

huh???? huh? Neutral Frowning Confused There are less good wii games than I have fingers. and there is alot more games than that made for the wii.

too much an complex topic to talk about, Would have to write about a page : / But short said compenies are more intrested in money than to make a GOOD game. compenies like activsion, EA so on is like siging a death trap with deals to make the game in 2 year not a day longer. The games now are much more complex, the playerbase for more simple games is much BIGGER than the old school and hardcore ones.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 18:18 Profile Satellite Provider

Thank you for the feedback guys.
If you have some more to add, please do it.
I'm going to use this feedback on a study that I'm doing.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 05:05 Profile Norway

what kind of study is it?

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 18:21 Profile Satellite Provider

a statistical study with the aim of establishing the relationship between games and social diseases.

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 02:17 Profile

Quote:

It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 03:47 Profile Norway

greeneyes wrote:

a statistical study with the aim of establishing the relationship between games and social diseases.

wrath_of_grunge wrote:

Quote:

It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

so basically some kind of pasta?

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 09:00 Profile Satellite Provider

not want the world to step into the past.
but I wish people could learn from the experiences of the past.

Embedded Image

Rombus

Recruit

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 10:59 Profile Bermuda

greeneyes wrote:

I caught gonorrhea from Sim City 2000.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 11:40 Profile Norway

greeneyes wrote:

not want the world to step into the past.
but I wish people could learn from the experiences of the past.

You mean like all the bad things stalin and hitler did?

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 14:20 Profile Satellite Provider

Rombus wrote:

greeneyes wrote:

oh.. my theory begins to make sense.
more feed back please.

Bozy

Volunteer Community Manager
Volunteer Community Manager

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 14:41 Profile United Kingdom

greeneyes wrote:

Rombus wrote:

greeneyes wrote:

oh.. my theory begins to make sense.
more feed back please.

I got Minecraft inventory "OCD" & quite a bad case of "First Person Shooter Psychosis"

^^^^ Truth! ^^^^

Embedded Image

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 17:54 Profile Satellite Provider

Bozy wrote:

I got Minecraft inventory "OCD" & quite a bad case of "First Person Shooter Psychosis"

^^^^ Truth! ^^^^

Not a social disease, anyway still find very useful your feedback since I'm starting another study in order to understand the relationship between psychosis and sandbox games.

What happened to the good old days? 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: