Deploy/AMW Features
» See more topics

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

The Lag & Hitdetection (Rant with constructive criticism 

simplethunder

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 19:02 Profile

Hey guys,

I've been playing AA3 for quite a while now and I have left a post here and there on the forums.
However recently I have felt the urge to express my discontent about AA3's current state.
The more I play, the more I get fed up with all the bugs and issues I have to put up with when playing.

Don't get me wrong, I've recently been promoted to SFC, I've been playing for a while and I've been playing because I obviously like the game, but I keep running into things that make me straight up facepalm and ragequit.

I am not here claiming that I am the best shot in AA3 and that I lose because of bugs and poor gamedesign,
but I'd be surprised if I'd be the only person noticing these things.

The lag & hitdetection

Lag and hitdetection form a diabolical couple in AA3 to the point where the game, especially when it comes to closequarters, simply becomes a game of chance.

We have all been there. You move around a corner and come face to face with an enemy.
Both of you open automatic fire at eachother from pointblank range and as you hear your gun say 'click' you notice that both you and your enemy are still standing and have mysteriously survived a hail of bullets.

A miracle, one might argue.

Not really, no, I stumble across this multiple times in every match I play. Sometimes when I'm playing, sometimes when I'm dead and watching other people duke it out in these Halo-esque slugfests.

It's all about the (lucky?) headshot.
So much that I've even started feeling like aiming down the sights is useless, unless at long range.

It all seems entirely random to me. Sometimes I drop my opponent instantly with a 'headshot' eventhough in some cases I'm not even properly aiming at my target, sometimes I do the exact same thing and I wade through many a ammo cartridge to eventually drop my opponent or get dropped by a single headshot.
Especially infuriating when you notice that you haven't been hit a single time, apart from that single headshot.

Funny thing is; when aiming through the sights this feel of 'randomness' is even worse. I've had moments that I was firing way next to a person's head, but suddenly he dropped dead. And more frustratingly; I've had times where a person came running towards me from around a corner, I fired full-auto while proned at his head and nothing happens until you suddenly get hipfired in the face.

The logic behind this; Aiming down the sights narrows down the area that your bullets might hit. Primarily when shooting at moving targets, consistently aiming at the head and getting headshots is near-impossible (or so are my experiences), unless you have incredible lag-calculating skills.
When hipfiring you suddenly have an area that is way bigger, just put the enemy in your crosshairs, which AA3 so happily provides when hipfiring and spray away!

One of those 30 bullets is bound to hit the enemy in the head, right?
Right...

The person spraying away beats the person that would try to actually aim at a person through his sights.
At point blank this isn't an issue, but it's gotten to a point where I hardly bother to aim down the sights at all when firing between 0-25 meters.

Next scenario;

Here you are, looking through the sights of your M16 and suddenly an enemy pops up at long range. Carefully you put your crosshairs and the enemy's head in a straight line and pull the trigger.
Through your mind flow the words "BOOM HEADSHOT!", in enthousiastic fashion, however "No." says AA3, brutally crushing the prospect of the pink mist that you eagerly desire.

Fair enough...

To your great surprise the enemy is still sitting there, apparently having shrugged off the headshot, thinking it was some kid with a peashooter.

Once again you set up for another 'perfect' headshot.
You pull the trigger, again... And again. And again.

... You get the picture.

Multiple rounds aimed at the head/upper body and nothing happens, not an uncommon sight indeed.
Often times the enemy crawls away in time and you end up feeling like you're the worst shot in the world.
When the enemies are moving it's even worse, up to the point where I can empty entire clips on people's heads at long range and not have one hit.

Once again; I don't claim to be the best shooter in AA3, but this is just silly.

Before the developers create any new maps, MOS, gamemodes or guns, I would suggest that first the gameplay issues are adressed, they're way more important.

I'd rather play a game with smooth gameplay and the realism it so thoroughly advertises with...

I haven't even gotten started about how the running&gunning-dance vs. stationary shooting ruins gameplay, but I'll adress that the next post.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this rant.
I'm by no means raging, merely fed up with seeing all these issues not being dealt with.

=IK=Doba=

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 08:21 Profile Canada

All I can say that its ALL PING RELATED !! play with a 40 ping and you will not make this post.. play with a 100+ ping and yes frustration sets in.

Kill-J

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 14:59 Profile Sweden

I wonder what junk AA3 devs put in the code since unreal engine can hold much more players than what AA3 can atm?

[96]Flatlander

Sergeant

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 15:16 Profile Germany

you have much to learn,young padawan! use the lag!!!

seriously,i adapted my aim so much that i probably cannot shoot a straight line in a good running game.

lucky that i dont play good running games Very Happy

zathras6

Private First Class

Posted: 05 Mar 2011 04:42 Profile

simplethunder wrote:

I am not here claiming that I am the best shot in AA3 and that I lose because of bugs and poor gamedesign,
but I'd be surprised if I'd be the only person noticing these things.

The lag & hitdetection

You are not the only one; I am also not claiming to be a good player, but even with low or medium ping on a server, I have exactly the same problems. It often feels like my rifle is throwing spitwads. I can aim from a prepared position (crouch or prone), use breathing control, and put the red dot (M68) right on the enemy, and fire in short bursts. But as often as not, nothing happens except me dying. I have expert in all training and have over 70 hrs play time, so I do at least know how to aim and fire the weapon. All my connection quality tests come back good for packet loss and ping.

As you say, AA3 is a "headshot lottery"... rounds to the chest, abdomen, legs, etc. don't even "stun" an enemy momentarily as would be expected. So you can be unloading into an enemy's chest or legs, and he just stands there like Superman and headshots you. And AA3 seems to favor the faster-moving player; a running or walking player can pass thru a solid stream of automatic fire and not get hit too badly, while a stationary player is often killed instantly.

Ping alone is not a solution, the game also feels out of sync when I have a very low ping and I'm playing against players with a high ping. I don't know if I should aim at them, ahead of them, or behind them. These rifles fire rounds at >2000 fps, you should not have to "lead" the enemy at all at the short ranges in AA3 maps.

By any chance are you using Windows 7? Just curious if something in Win7 is resulting in poor online play in AA3 (compared to XP).

greenpea

Recruit

Posted: 05 Mar 2011 06:43 Profile Portugal

Well im having this problems too and even with 40 ping like doba says. I fire 3 round to the head and the NME still alive and that happens a lot of times. Sometimes i dont even aiming properly and i hs the NME.
Using sights close range or middle range is useless , i kill more faster with the sights down than up lol.
The army teach you to use the sights for something.

simplethunder

Private First Class

Posted: 05 Mar 2011 06:57 Profile

[96]Flatlander wrote:

you have much to learn,young padawan! use the lag!!!

seriously,i adapted my aim so much that i probably cannot shoot a straight line in a good running game.

lucky that i dont play good running games Very Happy

I don't care as much for 'owning' as I do for a realistic gaming experience, which is the only reason I'm playing AA3. Sometimes AA3 delivers, and the game shines, most of the time the game feels buggy, glitchy etc.

I'm using a windows XP btw, for anyone who asked.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 06:42 Profile United States

Nothing can be as bad as trying to kill bots on Interdiction on AA2 :l

Today I was playing and I could flat out stand perfectly still, face to face with a bot, unload 20 bullets into the bot and only 5 would hit.

And then of course they do the single "pow. your dead" thing right after

MajorWinters

Volunteer Community Manager
Volunteer Community Manager

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 08:01 Profile Belgium

You have probably read this a few times by now, but we are aware of the lag issues and the developers will continue to work on it.

Youtube channel | Manual | Live Support

Brynhildr

Recruit

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 03:22 Profile

The problem is not the netcode... More like engine or what devs have done with it, basically the server don't trust the clients (players) at all to process info so all the load is on the server which increases hardware-based lag and screws hit detection over completely. The reason for this choice is protection against cheaters (make it harder for them at least) but in and of itself a weird choice considering that punkbuster is supposed to carry this role.

So perhaps if the devs go from maximum protection to maximum trust and relying on the clients for processing power more then hits will be detected much better and overall lag won't become isssue even with max load of 26 players... But something is telling me this is NOT going to happen, or anything else for that matter Laughing

xBarad

Recruit

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 15:40 Profile

To be honest, im quite sure its lagg, which is always the story on all online games.... the higher the ping u have, the greater the delay, but if u have 40 ping and u are firing directly at someone standing still with 100+ ping, odd's are, he's not even in that spot anymore.... hes moved and u didnt even see it, whats happening is, the person with the 100+ ping is skipping all over the place almost teleporting, but the engine compensates to make it look like hes not teleporting at all, not to mention that every bullet that is fired from ur gun in AA3 has physic's applied to it. on weaker engines such as the orange box engine for counter strike source, if u have 100+ ping u are teleporting all over the bouts skipping away and its so f***ing annoying if ur trying to kill this 100+ pinger coz hes teleporting, where as atleast in AA3 u have some indication as to where he is and where he is going and not have someone disappearing and reappearing every 1 or 2 seconds

AA3 is doing what it should be asides from the obvious bugs but its everyone els that isnt, ping is a huge factor when it comes to online games and some engines deal with this differently as i have just described.

I remember playing UT99 online near the time the internet first hit New Zealand, some people were on 56k and others on broadband, it was exactly the same thing as AA3, u had to either lead the target if ur ping was high, or follow behind the target if ur target had 150+ ping and ur ping was much lower, it varies on ur fps too, all i can say, is that there is NOTHING to rant about, AA3 is f***ing FREE and im quite sure its still in beta? anyway, i dont mean to anger anyone as i have been angered due to this pointless post.....

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 15:51 Profile Norway

=IK=Doba= wrote:

All I can say that its ALL PING RELATED !! play with a 40 ping and you will not make this post.. play with a 100+ ping and yes frustration sets in.

No you will still get quite much of this, just less often.

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 17:58 Profile Satellite Provider

everything will be fine above next patch.

Embedded Image

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 18:04 Profile Norway

greeneyes

Sergeant

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 18:17 Profile Satellite Provider

yes, we have Dev's word about that. do not we? I'm sure a Dev will confirm my words.

The Lag & Hitdetection (Rant with constructive criticism 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: