Community Sites
Remember when...
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

Download issue 

Bellerophon{Hoser}

Recruit

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 18:51 Profile

Two separate issues and sorry if the first has already been brought up. I have lurked on the forums for years but never joined until now. I have been a member of the AA community since 2003 if anyone cares to check my AA2 jacket.

I am retired US Air Force living in the Philippines for the last 6 years and have been playing AA off and on since the early 1.x days. There was a method by which having a .mil email address got you a special service related icon in game and was just wondering if such a thing still existed for AA3. Is it possible for some method to be developed for those of us who have proudly served and like me are now retired? I seem to recall there was some abuse to this well-conceived idea which made it bad for all concerned, but it would still be nice to have. . .

The second issue concerns the downloading of the game. I understand the want and need of the deploy client but is there an alternate way of installing the game? Back in the day one could go to the local USA recruiting station and pick up a copy of the game and, I think, even order a copy sent to you. That would be particularly nice for someone like me living in a country where download speeds are nearly the same as early 1990's pre-56k/ISDN technology took the US by storm, even with what they locally refer to as DSL.

To make matters worse, after a day and a half of the seemingly endless down load, I received the dreaded file is corrupt error (which is exactly what one would expect having to wait so long) and must start the d/l all over again for more fun-filled adventure. Oh yeah, when the little screen popped up saying "save this data for support" there was no way to highlight and save the 300 or so alpha-numeric hex characters so I took a screen shot and saved as a .jpg. Since I can't host a URL to include the shot, I will be happy to email it if someone wants it to ponder. . .

EagleReid

Volunteer
Volunteer

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 20:22 Profile United States

Bellerophon{Hoser} wrote:

Two separate issues and sorry if the first has already been brought up. I have lurked on the forums for years but never joined until now. I have been a member of the AA community since 2003 if anyone cares to check my AA2 jacket.

I am retired US Air Force living in the Philippines for the last 6 years and have been playing AA off and on since the early 1.x days. There was a method by which having a .mil email address got you a special service related icon in game and was just wondering if such a thing still existed for AA3. Is it possible for some method to be developed for those of us who have proudly served and like me are now retired? I seem to recall there was some abuse to this well-conceived idea which made it bad for all concerned, but it would still be nice to have. . .

The second issue concerns the downloading of the game. I understand the want and need of the deploy client but is there an alternate way of installing the game? Back in the day one could go to the local USA recruiting station and pick up a copy of the game and, I think, even order a copy sent to you. That would be particularly nice for someone like me living in a country where download speeds are nearly the same as early 1990's pre-56k/ISDN technology took the US by storm, even with what they locally refer to as DSL.

To make matters worse, after a day and a half of the seemingly endless down load, I received the dreaded file is corrupt error (which is exactly what one would expect having to wait so long) and must start the d/l all over again for more fun-filled adventure. Oh yeah, when the little screen popped up saying "save this data for support" there was no way to highlight and save the 300 or so alpha-numeric hex characters so I took a screen shot and saved as a .jpg. Since I can't host a URL to include the shot, I will be happy to email it if someone wants it to ponder. . .

Welcome Belle!

I find it very neat that you were in the U.S. Air Force. I, myself, have shared interest in applying. There is the ability to get a service icon in America's Army 3 as long as you have an AKO address. Information you may be seeking - http://forum.americasarmy.com/...=318453

You may also download America's Army 3 via Steam. The link is http://store.steampowered.com/app/13140/. Steam is more of a community/game based installer. You can add friends, buy games, etc... That is the only other alternative to Deploy. I do not know if they still give America's Army on CD's. But, I know it has been a problem at support because when we have a user come in and say that have a CD version, we have to have them generally uninstall the CD and download Deploy and then update it that way. Of course, it is not impossible, it just requires patience Smile

Let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with!

* I've been in the Virtual Army Experience
* Eagle Scout
HOOAH!

Bellerophon{Hoser}

Recruit

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 22:38 Profile

Well., my career spanned from just after the Lebanon hotel bombing through our adventures in Iraq 2.0 and Afghanistan. I came in with the intent of making it a career given the economy at the time. I don't regret my decision but it wasn't a bed of roses. As anything worthwhile in life, there are sacrifices that must be made in order to get those things you desire, and even then there is no guarantee. I guess the best advise I could give to anyone considering the service is to have some sort of plan in place but remain flexible and above all, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.

I guess what I was trying to say was an install of the game that didn't require the full 3+GB download, or at least the ability to save it and use it once again after the initial install. Even now I think you can still get version 2.8.3 from FileFront (and save in a handy place for later use) and then just get the small upgrade through deploy client to 2.8.5. I suppose the answer to that is no so it was just wishful thinking on my part, or at least the seed of an idea for the future. . .same thing as with the suggestion for a retiree specific in-game icon. Probably not likely feasible for either but still a wish on my part.

Thanks!

BillyBishop

Private

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 23:57 Profile

I would highly recommend using Steam to download the game. Steam downloads the game in small pieces that can be started and resumed at any time with little likelihood of the files being broken. This method works great if you don't have a lightning fast connection or if you do not have a lot of time.

Bellerophon{Hoser}

Recruit

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 00:30 Profile

Thanks Billy!

I am about 34% finished with the second attempt to download and if this go round is corrupted again will certainly give Steam a shot.

Bellerophon{Hoser}

Recruit

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 00:40 Profile

Ha! Just as soon as finished sending the past post I checked the status of the d/l it was stopped. Instead of resuming what would likely be corrupted again I opted to just go to Steam. . .as expected the rate is about the same hovering at about 50k/s so the problem remains a bottleneck more at this end. . .

BillyBishop

Private

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 00:41 Profile

Yeah Steam is great at resuming downloads. I hate downloading big files without it.

Download issue 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: