More search options

HOT TOPICS  

AA3 Mentor FAQ
The Graphic Novel
New Videos YouTube
AA3 Easter Egg's
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

Lilith! And anyone else who took computer science HALP! 

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 11:35 Profile United States

Okay so I signed up for CSE 113, which is basically an introduction to programming (it's the course description actually).

We'll be learning Java.
I looked up reviews on the professor. People generally said she sucked. Albeit most of those negative reviews were for more advanced classes, not mine.

How hard is Java to learn? I know this probly GREATLY varies by teacher, but I really need to know.
I know a lot of people around me that are nearly failing college that used to be geniuses in college, and they all came out of Java classes with C's.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I got a C (okay, maybe a little).
What I'm scared about is that if I get below a 50% on ANY ONE of the 10 labs, I automatically fail the course.

"Wow that's a little rash..."

yeah. I know. Getting below a 50% on a lab disqualifies me from taking the final exam.
If you miss the final exam for whatever reason, you get an F.

I'm kinda hoping I fail the first lab so I can just switch out for another class >.>

You probably forgot the question. Or at least I did. So...

Is Java hard? I taught myself some C# over the summer. I hear it's based off of Java
Would you advise taking a class with such a...idk how you'd say it...such a...cliff? Ya know?
That honestly scares me poopless. I usually don't do so hot in labs, like 60-70's (something to do with I never fully do the instructions >.>)

[USMC]Pendragon

Sergeant Major

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 11:47 Profile Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Java is not bad. Object-oriented programming may be confusing at first if you're not familiar, but using Java is inherently easy to understand. If you've done C++ before, it's C++ without pointers and the addition of a bunch of other user-friendly tools including auto-reference.

The OOP ethic is that you have individual classes have their own methods. Let's say you have a Car class.

You want the Car to be able to drive. So you implement a method called void drive(float distance); and then implement a method to get mileage called int getMileage();

Now all you have to do is create a car. So it goes like this:

There's more complicated stuff allowing you to define that Car is a type of vehicle, but that's later. We have a Car right now.
Code:

Car myFordMustang = new Car(1969 /*that's the year or something if it matters*/);
//this creates your own Ford Mustang, a car!
//Now, to drive.
myFordMustang.drive(500.0);
//drives 500 miles!
System.out.println(myFordMustang.getMileage()); //Prints 500.0 to CONSOLE

Here's your compiler.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloa...ava.php

Your biggest issue may be converting code from one compiler to another. I commonly had to copypasta to NotePad and recompile manually because each program uses a different file linking method. It's silly.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute...1205677

That was my textbook. Buy it used.

For reference, this was me having not coded for at least 2 years. It's very eassy to remember because it relies on easy-to-remember terms.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 12:53 Profile United States

Hum. That sounds exactly like C#

The reason I took this class is because I can make code in C#, but I don't have much of a clue as to the meaning of what I'm doing.

Just had my first lecture with her. She seems nice. Although she talks like she just had 10 redbulls O.o

I'll see how it goes...

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 16:47 Profile Norway

java can be a bit different from C#, not much, C#<C++<java similarity now if you understand the consept of OOP you will most likely be fine. the rest Is general programming.

when you come so far that you guys use compile your script could you tell me if you guys are using notepad, to write or a program or something else. that will most likely tell alot of her teaching style. notepad is considered most places old. btw

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 17:18 Profile United States

Our book is called Greenefoot or something. During class she talked of it like it was a program we were going to use to write Java, but I don't know anything more than what I just told you about that.

I kinda like programs that point out where you make mistakes, but notepad is fine for me as well.

Since this is an intro class, I'm assuming that we'll be using some sort of program to make it easier on us

wrath_of_grunge

Private First Class

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 04:59 Profile

try to avoid problem teachers. keep in mind that some college teachers have their job simply because not enough people have complained about them.

also it's your money. make sure you're getting your money's worth from the classes you're taking. if you're spending $1000 a semester for someone to read the textbook to you, you're probably over paying. i know people that will do it for much less, some can even record the reading, so that you can listen to it at your own convenience.

i wish more teachers were like that. i have to take some 'filler' course for my degree. doesn't matter what i take, my school just wants to make sure we're liberal enough, (ever notice that there's no Conservative Arts courses?).

i'm not saying go against your teachers or anything, but in my opinion school is there to challenge you. if you're a philosophy teacher, i shouldn't be able to pick apart your teachings with 5 minutes worth of effort. if i can, the you're a horrible teacher. (had a long day today Embarassed )

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 12:21 Profile United States

Lol I can tell Lily.

Most of my teachers do record their lectures actually. But I can't imagine listening to it at home sitting at my computer for 50 minutes. I'd fall asleep.

Everything you said to watch out for is everything I've been afraid of, and have noticed in my Cell Bio Class :l

They started of the the Endosymbiont Theory and I honestly, with a quick look at my notes from last semester, could have told them more about it than what they gave me :l

Granted it's not the subject of this class, but this class is more related to that theory than last semesters class in which I learned about it.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:38 Profile United States

W@@dy wrote:

Lol I can tell Lily.

Most of my teachers do record their lectures actually. But I can't imagine listening to it at home sitting at my computer for 50 minutes. I'd fall asleep.

Everything you said to watch out for is everything I've been afraid of, and have noticed in my Cell Bio Class :l

They started of the the Endosymbiont Theory and I honestly, with a quick look at my notes from last semester, could have told them more about it than what they gave me :l

Granted it's not the subject of this class, but this class is more related to that theory than last semesters class in which I learned about it.

what the carp...? how did I miss this thread? and when did I post here?

Bozy

Volunteer Community Manager
Volunteer Community Manager

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:44 Profile United Kingdom

Lilith wrote:

and when did I post here?

just now Laughing

better late than never, w@@dys probably passed by now Cheesy Grin

Could be a split topic? looks like that's the case.

Embedded Image

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 20:06 Profile United States

well, because his reply was 'Lol I can tell Lily", even though that was before I posted at all.

Brigadier

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 21:05 Profile Canada

He was replying from the past.

Lilith! And anyone else who took computer science HALP! 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: