Server Admin Info
AA3 YouTube Videos
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

Airborne, Air Assault/Fastrope, Sapper 

Torrix

Recruit

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 01:50 Profile

As in the subject line, I believe that Airborne training and missions should be brought back as in AA v2.x as well as Air Assault/Fastrope training and sapper school added in future patches. In version 2.x the aircraft was controlled by the AI for airborne operations and in this same manner, air assault and fastrope insertion could add a lot to both training and in mission choice. Sapper training (aka Sapper Leader Course) could also provide more varied training that can also be used in missions (great for creating and removing bottlenecks as well as in hard target assaults). Mountain warfare would also be another great training course and could add to future missions (maps).

Seriously, I am thoroughly disappointed and surprised that airborne was removed and no one thought to not only keep it but to add more training like these suggested above. To be honest, I would have expected all this and Ranger School, Q Course, and a lot more variety in maps and missions. It's depressing to see AA 3 actually having less variety than AA 2, and only makes me think that the Army has less interest in the game now and is going the way of EA Sports with Madden, ie take features away from future versions and then give back half-baked alternatives.

-=[Texas12]=-Bloody

Recruit

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 02:53 Profile

I completely agree with you on this one! I believe AA3 is weak compared to AA2. I believe it has something to do with the Army being overstrength right now..?! Just my opinion. It seems like things have been put to the back burner. I played AA2 for years and my entire clan (which was #1 in the world on Border) quit playing after AA3 was introduced and abandoned AA altogether. I have continued to play, hoping that AA3 will increase the training options and offer more gameplay to the user. I have to admit that I would rather play AA2 if the graphics were better. E&E training was awesome, airborne was awesome, the entire SF classroom was awesome, and speaking to the squad of SF guys really showed alot of effort and insight into the army. This game has only produced a few maps (which are fun to play) and the training is minor and very basic. SERE training would be nice to see here. What is happening with this game? I waited months for the last patch to come out, and only recieved a few bug fixes? It has been entirely long enough for a decent "Game Changer" to have been released. WHEN?! When will America's Army return to being a game that shows the effort that has been put into it? This game is showing very, very slow progression and is lacking the luster of AA2!

Last edited by -=[Texas12]=-Bloody on 14 Jan 2011 04:47; edited 1 time in total
darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 16:06 Profile Sierra Leone

Torrix wrote:

As in the subject line, I believe that Airborne training and missions should be brought back as in AA v2.x as well as Air Assault/Fastrope training and sapper school added in future patches. In version 2.x the aircraft was controlled by the AI for airborne operations and in this same manner, air assault and fastrope insertion could add a lot to both training and in mission choice. Sapper training (aka Sapper Leader Course) could also provide more varied training that can also be used in missions (great for creating and removing bottlenecks as well as in hard target assaults). Mountain warfare would also be another great training course and could add to future missions (maps).

Seriously, I am thoroughly disappointed and surprised that airborne was removed and no one thought to not only keep it but to add more training like these suggested above. To be honest, I would have expected all this and Ranger School, Q Course, and a lot more variety in maps and missions. It's depressing to see AA 3 actually having less variety than AA 2, and only makes me think that the Army has less interest in the game now and is going the way of EA Sports with Madden, ie take features away from future versions and then give back half-baked alternatives.

it took the team several years after the games release to add airborne.

Torrix

Recruit

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 19:42 Profile

Modular Code. The foundation for these features is already done, and with very limited modification it could be employed in AA3. Why this has not been done is the mystery. Why AA3 was basically "dumbed down" and created to be far more limiting is the even bigger mystery, considering that AA2 was such a huge success *with* the airborne, SF, SERE features.

darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 21:02 Profile Sierra Leone

aa3 is a completely new game with a different engine. that's why.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 22:31 Profile United States

Well, you won't really be seeing sappers in either game for good reason, and not much of it is combat. I don't see how that's fun when you've got bullets flying past your ear when the enemy is in short range and you don't have a rifle in your hands. If it's broke, don't fix it.

As for rappelling, I'm not seeing much of the appeal if an M302 were to suddenly go off for the OPFOR's side. Game Over for you, probably. That's just an offhand situation I can think of right now.

Torrix

Recruit

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 00:12 Profile

I'm kind of surprised that I'm catching flak here, as some responders are defending AA3 against what they must perceive as an attack from me. Let me be clear, as it is now (after all the bug fixes) AA3 is a solid shooter, however, as thoroughly explained, it can be much better and offer far more than it currently does.

The fact that AA3 uses a new game engine is immaterial to the idea of using (hopefully) modular code to put in airborne, because code is code and the new engine is no way going to be so different or itself coded in some other unknown programming language to where the 'airborne' code from AA2 could not be modified and used.

As for the other ideas, lets face it, the map selection for AA3 was greatly reduced compared to AA2. I believe this was done with a focus on the war in Iraq. Now Iraq is nearly done, but Afghanistan is at a fever pitch, and there could be more maps made that do *not* only emphasize stacking up and kicking in doors. No, I would like to see the mountainous terrain used. With an air assault module put in, why not rappel down a cliff in 5 minutes time rather than walk down a ridge line for an hour (using time differentials not seen in the game to emphasize what the skill could bring to the game).

I would like the maps to emphasize having to actually plan a mission as realistically as possible and to greatly, GREATLY lower the emphasis on just jumping into the map and being in contact within a minute of loading in, like every other FPS on the market. AA2 required the teams to have to think on occasion, I would just like to see it again in AA3.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 09:45 Profile United States

How people actually stack? Just saying.

How do they coordinate an air assault, or drop off the roof of a building via rope?

simplethunder

Private First Class

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 16:49 Profile

darksmaster923 wrote:

That it's an entirely new engine is no excuse for it to be worse than it's predecessor.

darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 18:44 Profile Sierra Leone

transferring code to an engine is a full time job, not something you can just simply do. also, there were unfortunate circumstances that went along with the original dev team.

simplethunder wrote:

darksmaster923 wrote:

That it's an entirely new engine is no excuse for it to be worse than it's predecessor.

you've been around long enough, you should know why the game is terrible.

[VGO]mmchaos

Volunteer
Volunteer

Posted: 04 Feb 2011 18:12 Profile United States

darksmaster923 wrote:

Torrix wrote:

Sapper training (aka Sapper Leader Course)

it took the team several years after the games release to add airborne.

hooah on the sapper course... americasarmy is a work in progress...every day the development go's on...they just dont tell us untill release day.

Qbert987

Private First Class

Posted: 04 Feb 2011 19:16 Profile United States

yah, this is still under construction...... heavy construction.

there is not really a particular aria of the world that the maps are built around. they just haven to follow a fictional storyline set somewhere in eastern Europe/western Asia.

from what I read and know about modular coding a program can only have one code language so if the modulus are in different languages (which would be the case between aa2 and aa3) it would not really be as easy as just copy and paste. it would have to be completely rewritten in unrealscript. feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

after all the hot air we blow it will really boil down to patience. we will get an amazing game we just need to be patient.

Airborne, Air Assault/Fastrope, Sapper 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: