» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 20 of 23     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Competition team map: Ship 

Crusha K. Rool

Private

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 18:38 Profile Germany

=NOLB=Kratos,

Sure, I know all their great tutorials and they even built a topdown game with bots and all that, but setting up Kismet sequences takes ages in compare to scripting the thing and is harder to reuse in other maps.

Kismet definitely has it's place since it replaces the old Trigger-Tag system of UE2 and is something like programming for guys who are not "enlightened" (good old clash between coders and level designers Razz), but one should keep in mind that it's even more from machine code away than UnrealScript. The latter is about 20 times slower than C/C++, the engine's core.
And now Kismet is yet another thing on top that works as interpreter at runtime and is not compiled at all, so it's even slower and you definitely shouldn't do everything in Kismet if performance means something to you.

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 21:03 Profile

well im not sure about that really i really cant comment on it. i do belive aa3 use's Kismit in some sequence's but i wasnt actually stating i was building everything out of kismit i was just stating some features if possiable i would use kismit for thats all

[VET]Bud

First Sergeant

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 01:10 Profile United States

Crusha K. Rool, outside of AA's use of UE, Avalance and IW engines would be viable alternatives, considering. Why the producers choose UE, instead of authoring their own language, is beyond me. Perhaps deviating from its own in-house talent, the producers felt UE package offered the best bang for the buck; safeguarding "protected" government coding. Even so, the return on investment compared to AA3's track record, I wonder how long the franchise will continue to bleed overlook the obvious?

Duty ~ Honor ~ Country

United States Army ~ (Ordnance) Veteran ~ 1982 to 1990

Terms of Service | AA3 Game Manual | AA Game Manual | IRC Support Channel | Create Game Account

KoldRayne

Sergeant

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 02:39 Profile United States

The problem is not the game engine. I have played an unreal engine 3 game that had 80 players on an instance with a huge district map, cars, live action shoot outs, NPC's, changing time of day, and so on. The thing causing lag for them was PunkBuster when they enabled it. Otherwise it ran smooth.

downloaddummy

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 04:26 Profile Germany

KoldRayne,

Yeah, With PunkBuster my Base-Ping is never below 200ms, rather near 400ms, without it is continually down below 100ms.

---
Typical objectives:
- Rescue person / Eliminate person
- Identify and destroy object / Secure and protect object
- Retrieve object / Secure and protect object
- Secure object until reinforcements arrive ( would make sense for a level with a fixed time ,and one side respawning regularly until the timer runs out )
- Protect moving object ( Vehicle has to get ( in given time ) to given position, and has to be still intact ) / Destroy moving object / Delay moving object until time runs out
- Evacuate / Eradicate ( Each player escaping through a point alive from one team is a point for the whole team, or a penalty for the other team; stack points for squads/ teams making it intact )
- Area securing / Convoy Espionage or Sabotage ( timer runs: each surviving player at the end of the round is a spy / terrorist / target-marker that'll endanger a convoy entering the area "after the round is over" )

That's just a short list I remember; you can combine them easily at leisure, like several objects having to be extracted after destroying a certain object.
Like:
A Company is dealing illegally with weapons, so the weapons cache has to be secured ( photographed ) then destroyed, and then the photos have to be brought off-site for legal actions against the company, which tries to cover up their misdeeds with a lot of hired mercenaries...
Call that map "legal actions"

Trepidity

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 04:53 Profile

[Dev]Doc,
Could you please define "competition map"?
I got excited when I first heard of this thread as I thought it was implying that a map would be designed specifically for competition play, eg a 4v4 league style map.

Nearly all of the ideas that have been thrown around so far are 100% anti-competitive ideas.
Things like NPC's, changing conditions, rubble and distractions littering the map, I think someone even suggested a condition that if triggered, both teams lose... WHAT??

Seriously, please either rename the thread to "non-competition map #2" or lay down some guidelines so this thread can have a chance at being on topic.

I honestly don't think there are any comp players still playing this game, something like this, if done properly, could potentially get them to check it out again..(along with a bunch of other fixes still needed Razz)

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 06:58 Profile

Trepidity,

Actuallty i dont think you read tigger an npc and you both lose that would be plain silly... and Dev Doc really isnt involed into this he just helped out along the way.Secondly this is the Comp map. but the thing is Describe Comp really it isnt about 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 5v5.. its about how Competive it can be thats what were going to try to design, Secondly please try not to rant about this.. we will keep you posted on any future updates and Suggestion of renameing a thred is a lil absurb becuase you dont like a certain idea of gameplay.. see Comp to me is not just Secrue Defend Take and Hold Recover etc etc... to me i would like to see if we could do something diffrent to keep the mission going a lil longer thats what makes it more competive in the frist place Say hey Squads go to point a... Once you get there take or do what ever you need to do then you get another call to go to another obj it vcould be one more or 2 more.. thats what competive is to me then just a single Obj having more then one obj is a lil more comp...

You might ask why would we even consider this. well we havent its just one of my ideas.. so dont think it will go in there until the team discuss's it really this thread is nothing more but a mer look back to see diffrent veiws and ideas so plaese dont rant on anyones idea as there is many out there... thanks for understanding Tre but we will try to keep it as comp as we can..

Trepidity

Private First Class

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 08:09 Profile

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

thats what competive is to me

Exactly, I'm asking for clarification on whether this is about a competitive map (as in for e-sports) or some other meaning like you're describing...

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 09:25 Profile United States

Trepidity,
If you read all 20 pages, you would understand that this is a map making exercise for a competitive style map. Just because a member of the public posted something doesn't mean that it will get included.

The team has already been selected, however, if you have something to offer, you should present it to the parties involved. There is also no guarantee that this design will ever make it to production.

Taking pot shots at their initial design discussion will not be tolerated.

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 27 Nov 2010 12:25 Profile

Trepidity,

it is a comp map this is confirmed by the topic...

Other then that Herman is right if you have an idea plz by all means post of what you might like but it has to be on topic because despite of what people may think will work or will not work the topic is ship and were gonna make that happen.

Now as of yet no Discussion has been made at this time due to the recent Holiday i will assume we will be picking up on Monday for some type of Discussion but i am also waiting on something else as well Which i sent them a pm but havent recived a word yet

Kill-J

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 08 Dec 2010 18:13 Profile Sweden

Did this project die?

dgodfather

Private First Class

Posted: 08 Dec 2010 18:17 Profile United States

No, but it is quite slow at the moment.

Embedded Image

[VET]Bud

First Sergeant

Posted: 08 Dec 2010 20:12 Profile United States

This is a true statement in an ideal world. Unreal touts the following:

• Power
    UnrealScript features a built-in compiler and integrated preprocessor. Java and C++ programmers can jump right in to scripting.

• Simplicity
    Artists and level designers can string together actions, inputs and events in Unreal Kismet to dictate how the world flows and how the player interacts without having to touch a single line of code.

• Flexibility
    Unreal Kismet supports math, conditional logic and event handling to create new script actions.

• Prototyping
    Have an interesting idea for a character feature, object type or gameplay mechanic? Use Unreal Kismet to throw it together and test it out.

With Kismet, functionality within AA3 should be fairly straightforward, with object-oriented scripting. I'm concerned with the robust nature of the engine manipulation, many of the bugs within the game should be easily addressed, providing the development team is well-versed in the use of.

And while UE3 works well with other titles, granted, they have more assets to throw at the project, there is something to be said about the on-going bug issues within AA3. Having said that, it has been said often that AA3 is an on-going project, with no final release focus. This precludes a product that functions as well as 'other titles'. Thus, we get a mixed-bag of playability, functionality, and enjoyment.

KoldRayne wrote:

The problem is not the game engine. I have played an unreal engine 3 game that had 80 players on an instance with a huge district map, cars, live action shoot outs, NPC's, changing time of day, and so on. The thing causing lag for them was PunkBuster when they enabled it. Otherwise it ran smooth.

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 08:28 Profile

yea it isnt dead we have not posting anything becuase this topic is fixing to be locked for refrence i belive and a new topic will be made... further more i have been really bust at the plant but now that its over i can jump on the project yes the god of wart lives again to fight all the minnions of aa ( <~~~~ WOW ~~~~>)

but yes sorry we have been doing slow but since im back into it right now and not as busty as i was im sure things will be picking up... keep in mind we all do work for a living there will be times we will have to pick up someones else work to help out the rest of the teams ( Yes Team's)

but belive me guys i think everyone will love what we will bring in this map i have full confendence with the rest of the team to make one of the most outstanding maps in aa3... we just need to decide where to point it and click it and add it and bamyou have something going dont worry Doc kick started us again Joke !!!!

Pwned You

Sergeant

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 13:15 Profile United Kingdom

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

the god of wart

EWWWWW! A giant wart!

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

not as busty

Damn surgery!! Hehe i love spelling mistakes! Laughing

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

Pwned You rules and Kratos smells!

Laughing Laughing You can change people's quotes! Laughing Laughing

Kratos, have you checked your therealcombatants account in a while because i sent you a pm about some design work for the ship map?

Competition team map: Ship 

« Previous Page        Page 20 of 23     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: