AA Challenge Winner
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

One on One with SGT Rieman 

Phoenix

Army Project Team
Army Project Team

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 15:27 Profile United States

Over the next few months, the AA team will post interviews with SGT Rieman about his deployment, keeping in touch with family, and coming home. To kick off this interview series, we wanted to reintroduce SGT Rieman to the AA community by talking with him about his AA experiences.

If you'd like to ask SGT Rieman, about the game or his career as a Soldier, please post your questions here. Selected questions will be featured in a live TeamSpeak Q&A session where you'll get the chance to speak live to the Silver Star winner and Real Hero, SGT Tommy Rieman.

The cut-off for questions will be approximately 5 days, so make sure you post soon, and post as many questions as you like. We'll announce the details of the live TeamSpeak session shortly.

Now, on with the first part of this interview:

AA: How did you come to be associated with the America's Army game project?

SGT Rieman: In 2007, the America's Army team was working on a couple of different projects that were being highlighted in the Pentagon. I had been stationed there for a few years, and in 2007 I happened to run into the former project leader, COL Wardynski. He asked me my thoughts about the convoy trainer that was being showcased. I gave him my honest opinions and he asked me to do a live interview on CNN about the trainer. I did and it was a great relationship with the project since then.

AA: How knowledgeable about the Army and Army life did you find the Development team?

SGT Rieman: The development team for the game was very knowledgeable about the Army and I was impressed. The team really did their research, but didn’t know everything. It was nice to come in and give my thoughts and ideas to the developers. They knew my lingo and were able to make a great game.

AA: In what capacities was your expertise used?

SGT Rieman: The developers used my expertise in several different ways. I'd make sure the missions made sense and ensure that the mission incorporated the Army Values. I would make sure that the sounds and equipment were authentic. In addition, I'd check that the movements and tactics were real, and everything being projected through the game was equivalent to the U.S. Army.

AA: What was it like watching your image being modeled into the game?

SGT Rieman: Seeing my image being modeled in the game was kind of a trip for me. It would make me laugh from time to time knowing that it was me on the screen. At the same time, it was such an honor because I was representing my peers and especially the United States Army.

AA: Tell us a little about working in the motion capture studio.

SGT Rieman: Besides having to wear the spandex suit, the motion capture studio is a great experience. I would don this extremely tight spandex suit with motion capture balls located at the joints and moving parts of my body, then I would execute different movements that would be captured in a video program. Once it's captured, the artists would add their magic to the characters and bam, you have the movement sequences for the video game. This is an extremely important feature as it ensures authenticity. Anytime we would do anything in the game, we wanted to make it as real as possible.

AA: How authentic would you say certain movements are in-game; such as reloading, low ready, etc?

SGT Rieman: The difficult part of making an authentic military video game is making sure it is still fun. Sometimes the Army isn't so fun, but when it is, it's incredible. When a video game isn't fun, people stop playing it, so we have to make sure that both fun and realistic are accomplished. It's a very fine line, but I believe we accomplish both. The different movements in the game such as loading, reloading, low ready, etc are as accurate as it gets. I think it's great in America's Army because in most games you don’t even reload. That is not realistic!

AA: Do you play AA3 and if so, how often and how can fans find you?

SGT Rieman: I play AA3, but I play it to test it. I don't play publicly that much because I’m a proud person and most of you players and fans can beat me pretty badly!

AA:What squad role do you prefer playing and why?

SGT Rieman: I always enjoy playing the squad leader. I've always been in a leadership role and there's nothing manlier than leading your men into combat!

AA: When playing AA3, do you prefer to complete the mission or win by eliminating all enemy combatants?

SGT Rieman: When I play AA3, if I don’t complete the mission, I feel like a failure! Same thing in real life. The mission always comes first - - you can do it without hurting everyone and you want to do it with the least resistance possible. That is a test of a true Warrior.

AA:What was it like being modeled into an action figure?

SGT Rieman: Being modeled into an action figure was a key moment in my life. It means the world to me because my kids love it so much. I grew up loving action figures and to be one is such a privilege.

AA:Which figure in the series do you like the best (not your own!)?

SGT Rieman: My favorite action figure in the Real Heroes series is probably that of Jason Mikes. His pose is the best and he's got two amazing weapons. I really believe that all the action figures are great and represent the greatest force in the world!

Blackthunder7

Mentor
Mentor

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 15:45 Profile Belgium

Thank you for letting us share this interview Phoenix,
Thank you for your service and your commitment to AA Sir " SGT Rieman:"

All The Best

Blackthunder7
Support US Troops Belgium

EagleReid

Volunteer
Volunteer

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 16:04 Profile United States

Great interview! Hooah!

* I've been in the Virtual Army Experience
* Eagle Scout
HOOAH!

Oth.Louis

Private

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 16:40 Profile Poland

Great interview

http://i54.tinypic.com/34oa2v5.jpg

Phoenix

Army Project Team
Army Project Team

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 11:56 Profile United States

Don't forget:

Quote:

If you'd like to ask SGT Rieman, about the game or his career as a Soldier, please post your questions here. Selected questions will be featured in a live TeamSpeak Q&A session where you'll get the chance to speak live to the Silver Star winner and Real Hero, SGT Tommy Rieman.

This is your chance to learn about the Army first hand from one of our best, and also his take on playing America's Army. Please post any questions you have and you'll get your chance during a live TeamSpeak session.

gxzp6

Recruit

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 12:32 Profile Germany

1. I read much about tortures in Iraq. What do you think, why there are so many cases of torturing soldiers?
2. Friends of me came back from fighting in Afghanistan and it took a long time to see them all right after their return. Has there been a change or improvement in the psycho-social care of the returning american soldiers in the last years?
3. Germany wasn´t active involved in the iraq-war. What do you think about that? Have you been disappointed?
4. In the last few years we got to know, that the main reason for the iraq-war (possessing or research of nuclear weapons) was a bit faked by intelligence apparatus. Do you think about the reasons brought you to iraq?

if thats asked too straight, np. I´m really interested. The questions may sound critical, but there´s no offence intended in them.

Silent^Reaper

Posted: 29 Oct 2010 19:54 Profile United States

All of my question's got answered on his bio page :-/

Embedded Image
IRC || Forum TOS || Forum Help || EULA

trieman11

Army Project Team
Army Project Team

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 08:23 Profile

AA Community,
Thanks so much for my welcoming home. The last year in Iraq has been easier because of supporters like you in the AA Community. Since I have returned home, I assure you that the AA team is working on some great projects to bring to the game. For me, I'm excited about playing with some of you. We will have the opportunity here in the near future. Not that I can match most of your skills, but you guys are the ones that make AA possible. Please, if you have any questions about AA, Me, or the Army, feel free to post them here and I will get to asap.
Thanks Everyone,
SGT Tommy Rieman
America's Army Real Hero

trieman11

Army Project Team
Army Project Team

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 08:44 Profile

This is response to gxpz6:

1. I read much about tortures in Iraq. What do you think, why there are so many cases of torturing soldiers?
Answer: The deal is that "We" as US Soldiers have rules. We treat others with respect and dignity. Our enemy combatants don't offer to fight under the same rules.

2. Friends of me came back from fighting in Afghanistan and it took a long time to see them all right after their return. Has there been a change or improvement in the psycho-social care of the returning american soldiers in the last years? Answer: This is a great question. The need to take care of our returning Soldiers' and Vets has become a major issue. The Army, Department of Defense, and organizations like VA (Veteran Affairs) have drastically improved. Due to the improvement of technology, we as a Country have learned more about PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), and Concussions. We are learning and teaching new ways everyday how address the issues of the Soldiers' once they have returned back to society.

3. Germany wasn´t active involved in the iraq-war. What do you think about that? Have you been disappointed?
Everyone's involvement in Operation Iraqi Freedom just as important as the next. Just because we have the heaviest involvement doesn't necessarily mean everyone else needs to commit like the US has. I have worked and served with German Soldiers and they have done an amazing job! Would I like to see more of them? I would because they are very good at what they do.

4. In the last few years we got to know, that the main reason for the iraq-war (possessing or research of nuclear weapons) was a bit faked by intelligence apparatus. Do you think about the reasons brought you to iraq?
I think their are several myths about why we started Operation Iraqi Freedom. I believe the faked intelligence apparatus is one of them. None of us know the complete fax. What we do know is we as a Country entrust our Government with those decisions, and our job as Soldiers is to follow their guidance.

if thats asked too straight, np. I´m really interested. The questions may sound critical, but there´s no offence intended in them.

No offense taken. These are great questions, and I hope that I answered them for you.

Take care,
SGT Tommy Rieman
America's Army Real Hero

gxzp6

Recruit

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 14:24 Profile Germany

Thanks for your open and above board answers.
Wish you good recreation back in your homeland.

One on One with SGT Rieman 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: