HOT TOPICS  

AA3 Easter Egg's
Open Letter
Common Solutions
Server Admin Info
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 7 of 7     
  Page Jump     

What competition players want to see in this game... 

[Dev]4ohn

Developer
Developer

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 10:19 Profile United States

Thanks to everyone who posted constructive feedback. I know myself and a few others have been following this thread because we do want to provide useful functionality for competitive play. There have been several things thrown around here that we'll consider and even more that we're already looking at, but have just gotten to yet.

We appreciate the continued support and patience from the competitive community.

m2-stryker

Private

Posted: 06 Dec 2010 08:27 Profile Canada

I'd like to see more competition gamers as Beta Testers.

I once had it versed to me by Coe on the Facebook site that 'beta testers don't spend much time playing on pub servers. They spend more time on non-honor servers.'

Uuuuhhh..Okay? Where do most competition players play their matches? On NON-HONOR servers. Most dedicated competition clans have more then 1 server to play on.
You want real interaction and real input, that's what you need. I think I can count the number of Beta testers I've played competition wise on 1 hand, with room left over to count more.
It comes down to the fact that I think most Beta Testers come from 'who you know, not what you know" and when a competition players slaughters them, on a regular basis they get the '..i don't like them, they shouldn't be a beta tester, I'm sure they are cheaters" attitude.
I've rarely ever seen a Beta tester 'stick it out' in Pub game play, 8 times outta 10 I've seen them leave as soon as the competition players enter the room. (I have a second super inexperienced player account that I go trolling Beta Testers with).
We spend more hours playing in BOTH Honor/Non-Honor servers then anyone that plays. Constantly our views, until now, were m00t. (Not Ranting, Happy we are finally being heard)

Still got the run bug and the clone nades are still there once and a while. I chalk that up to lag. Oh..the distance doesn't matter rule of thumb, is poppycock. The only thing I can think of that brings forth that ideal is not playing enough in loaded servers with people from around the world. You can't get that info from Beta Testing, IMHO.
Really Really Really need to sort NA/Europe Servers. It's RUINING the game. I love this game, I have a couple thousand dollars in other games, I play my FREE game.
Hit boxes seem to be getting much better. Yay!!! Melee is still messed up it appears, but it seems to be improved.
Really would like to see Shanty Town Very Happy Even with the bugs in the past, maps were released. In the interest of keeping people here and playing release a map or two.

CyberNinja

Sergeant

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 21:16 Profile

Interesting thread... glad to see the competitive guys are being taken care of....

Did current management kill competitive(tournament) play?

SoyEsTwitch

Private First Class

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 19:36 Profile

Bring it back to your roots.

At the end of the day, competitive games need to be fluid, which AA3 is not. Spend the time and money now to make the game feel right. Right now it feels the human being controlled feels more like a tugboat as opposed to a Lamborghini.

After making the game smooth, fair, and leaving things in that better gameplay.... they will come.

A great article was posted on Game Central about what makes a good competitive game.
(http://game-central.org/2009/editorials/what-makes-a-competitive-game/)

If you watch some of the old frag videos from AA2 you can see what I'm talking about. For instance, The Uprising, while not the best gameplay, truly showed how well the people could control the characters. Making precise moves, and not being held back by the game is, in my opinion, one of the most important parts of a great FPS.

I do not know the current gripes of the competitive AA community, but you should really be contacting them more directly to see what they would like. When I used to play AA I almost never went to this forum, because it always seemed like it was ruled by people who would sit on it all day.

If you want real answers of what to change for the AA community please post on whatever league is actually active to see what should be implemented. I completely understand that this games goal is to get young adults interested in the armed services, but early AA2 seemed to be able to balance what was realistic vs what was fair.

Lastly, you should consider the many factors that used to be in place that a skilled player had on their side.
1. Movement (never take an unplanned step)
2. Map Knowledge (Knowledge of "hot" zones)
3.Tactical Awareness (Knowing why that noise is occurring)
4. Game Knowledge (What move is safest to make vs what move gets most kills)
5. Aim (This is last because a good player will be in a position to have the upper hand)

These are my 2 cents, but you can pretty much look at any other competitive FPS and see how smooth they are. Also, take a look at the film FRAG and e-athletes to see what type of people you are dealing with.

What competition players want to see in this game... 

« Previous Page        Page 7 of 7     
  Page Jump     

Jump to: