» See more topics

Page 1 of 4     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Life of a 68W, or: How I learned to love the balm 

[Dev]Doc

Developer
Developer

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 00:02 Profile United States

So, it's come up that I'm in a position to help someone with an assignment and possibly a career choice on these forums. I'm still going to answer his questions in whatever way he deems fit, but I thought I'd open it up to the rest of the group since I'm new.

For those who don't know, I'm new to the army game team. Before going to school and winding up here, I was a 68W (I didn't get hired on talent, ya see Cheesy Grin ) - a Combat Medic, Active Duty in the army with 4ID and briefly with an unnamed SFG. Let me get this out of the way before I continue - I was NOT a green beret. I am not trying to impress you guys with how Hooah I was. Now that that's clear, I have extensive combat experience, both in offensive CQB and defensive Tactical Casualty Care.

The questions haven't arrived yet, but basically, I am to be interviewed about being a Combat Medic. So...since I'm here, what questions do any of you have about being a 68W? Anything that passes through the filters is fair game by me.

Nice to meet you by the way, stoic forum hounds.

Last edited by [Dev]Doc on 25 Sep 2010 02:15; edited 1 time in total
darksmaster923

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 18:27 Profile Sierra Leone

but this is the blog forums. you're supposed to write about your experiences n stuff

[Dev]Doc

Developer
Developer

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 01:38 Profile United States

And I'm going to. this is interactive blogging - it's to regular blogging what videogames are to movies. Infantile.

I'll probably post some stuff here without prompting soon. It's just easier to answer questions or comment on things than present, and i'm 7 kinds of lazy.

I'll start with this - I joined the army for several reasons. I initially wanted to be an interpreter (I spoke conversational japanese at the time, and thought I was good enough to make it into the school). I scored a 100/100 on the language aptitude test; I scored 0/3 on the japanese fluency test. They offered great benefits if I would become an arabic translator...after some thought, I reconsidered what I wanted to do.

My close second option was medicine. I had been a biomed student in college before family circumstances forced me to drop out (STAY IN SCHOOL. I'M SERIOUS.), and army medicine was a path to med school minus the student loans. I neglected to put this in my contract when I signed on as a 68W (it was 91W at the time), but I was offered the next step (nursing school) if I graduated AIT in the top 5% of my class.

I had no problems graduating top 5%, but the combat units were running out of actual medics and nursing school was pretty full. I was not offered nursing school at the end. I don't resent this for a second - I saved lives, I brought sons home to their parents and husbands home to their wives, and I wouldn't be where I am today without that experience.

(I may go in depth about basic and AIT at a later time...we'll see. This'll be an episodic series.)

Upon graduation, I was allowed to do a hometown recruiter assignment. That meant that I went back to my hometown and helped with the recruiting station, talked to people, went to my high school to talk about my experiences. After that was finished, I reported to Fort Carson - my first and only duty post. Normally guys will end up transferring to several different bases and units over their career, but I was able to stay at Carson.

This is where the meat of the story starts - I was assigned to 4ID's 3BCT (not sure I want to say which battalion on here yet). i'll delve into the guys I worked with, what training and deployment were like, and all of that at a later time.

AgentOrange[NL]

Sergeant

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 03:28 Profile United Kingdom

Dev-Doc,
I always understood that one of the golden rules in the army is to never try to be a rambo. Work as a team and wait for reinforments if it gets too dangerous.

But what would you do in the following situation:
Your squad is pinned down by the NME and you're waiting for reinforcements to arrive. One of your fellow soldiers is badly wounded in the open. If you leave him there until reinforcements arrive there is a big change he will die. If you retrieve him he will most likely live, but in the process there is an equal change you might get killed by NME fire. In other words Doing nothing he might die, doing something you might die. The changes are roughly the same. What will you do?

xxBacchusxx

Private First Class

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 06:13 Profile United States

Hi doc,good to here the info. looking forward to 68w medic. i dont have any questions,just wanted to say thanks for dropping a few lines in forum.keep in touch,let us know what you can,when you can. take care, Bacchus

[Dev]Doc

Developer
Developer

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 14:04 Profile United States

AO - this is actually a pretty pertinent question, since it also translates to how the game should be played (for all the tactical realism addicts).

First, someone steps out from semi-cover, hopefully with the SAW, to lay down suppressive fire in the direction of enemy approach or known enemy position. I and another soldier (or two other soldiers, if leadership would rather keep the medic safe) run out to the soldier, grab his drag handle/two-man carry under shoulders and legs/fireman's carry him back to cover, where I treat. To make this relevant to AA, you would never treat in the open. Ever.

The short answer, however, is that you would NEVER stay out of the fight or let your buddy down because you're worried about your own safety. Optimize the success and viability of your movement - don't run off like an idiot thinking it's bravery, but you will NEVER leave a fallen comrade.

That dynamic is what compels us to make the game more about completing objectives as a team than killing the enemy. In truth, the army completes objectives - defending, helping, securing people...combat only occurs when opfor get in the way. It's not about neutralizing bad guys.

Another interesting tidbit about being a medic (and how it relates to the game) is that, under geneva conventions, you cannot use lethal force on battlefield medical personnel and medics cannot participate in active, offensive combat. I'll clarify - medics are not allowed to be offensive fighters, nor can offensive fighters use lethal force on medics. I'll leave you all to surmise how one could go about solving that problem when putting the medic into AA3.

It may help to keep in mind how I am all about rewarding players for playing right instead of penalizing players for playing wrong Very Happy

Joe2.0

Private

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 14:46 Profile United States

thats something ive always wondered about. ive heard (from recruiters and such) that medics are armed but that seems to go against what ive heard about the geneva convention. now for the current situation in iraq and afghanistan i dont think that insurgents generally read up on the geneva convention. So are medics armed but only allowed to fire when fired upon, or should they not even be firing in the first place? or do the rules change when faced with opfor who dont "play by the rules"?
just some questions ive wondered about because im planning on becoming a hospital corpsman and serve alongside the marines. anything that you post on here about what combat deployment was like for you i would greatly appreciate. thanks.

Turtleleg

Recruit

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 15:16 Profile

I just have to join in on this one!

Back in AA2, I loved playing the medic. There were too many selfish medics who didn't walk those 10 steps to help a wounded teammate.
I think it's far more rewarding to help your team complete the objective, rather than running around the battlefield like in another Unreal Tournament Fragfest.

I have a few suggestions about the Secondary MOS 68W Medic.

1) He should have his own role in a squad (Like the fireteam leader, Adv. Rifleman, Automatic rifleman etc.) This is to prevent everyone from being medics.

2) Give him the ability to drag (or carry) his teammates when they are incapacitated. People that are NOT medics should NOT have this ability.

3) If an enemy shoots a medic while he is dragging someone, he should suffer a ROE Penalty. (BUT! To keep people from abusing the drag system, there should either be some kind of considerable delay after you let go of your teammate, before you can raise your weapon and shoot. Or make some sort of timer that works like this: When you play as a medic and you fire your weapon, a hidden timer begins, 5 secs for instance. Untill those 5 seconds pass, the enemy is free to shoot at you, even if you are dragging a teammate. They are of course still free to shoot you at any other time.. This would prevent players from shooting at the enemy and just grab a teammate when the enemy starts to shoot back, and possibly get a ROE penalty)

4) The current medic system, with everyone having an IFAK should be kept as it is, only the medic should carry more (2, maybe 3)

5) The medic should only be able to carry a minimum number of grenades and ammo. (otherwise you might find alot of Rambos who would pick the medic spot, just to give them the "extra abilities")

6) One last thing would be for the medic to "heal" a teammate for one lvl. Meaning that if he heals an incapacitated teammate who's health is in the red zone, he should be restored back to the yellow zone, and if in the Yellow zone, whould restore back to green zone (but only to the lowest possible amount of health in the given zone, meaning that he would NOT be able to heal anyone completely)

That was all I could think of.

Please, everyone! Complete the objective instead of just going for the kills!

-KFS-Lando

Recruit

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 15:24 Profile France

I'm glad to see here about Geneva convention. Some months ago, I asked a question about that issue but everybody made fun of me:

-KFS-Lando wrote:

To come back with the first posts of page 1, I would say that the new appearence of the Opfor is a progress that must be noticed. No more east-european groups to fight or arabic muslims to shoot. Even the geopolitical problems from last years are still not resolved (exple: Abkhazia or Afghanistan/Iran etc...), I find this is a good thing to show another face of threat nowadays, with no sovietic or muslims. I'm happy to see now decreasing the risks of prejudicing against some communities. The explanation of a possible war situation thanks to the AA3 comic is quite interesting, and make higher the involvment for playing the new AA3 game.

I heard on this topic: "There's nothing "politically correct" or "politically incorrect" about it. It's just set in a fictional country full of fictional people."

So I want to say that of course the game is fictional, fortunately. I would like war to stayl only a video game. But war happens every day in the world, and the US Army is real, its men died for freedom too. Because "every detail counts" we can't deny that the behaviour of the US Army soldiers in this game is not fiction. This is an image to the world which is given. So this image must be politically correct as much as possible. So of course we don't really care about opfor's deeds, but we must care about who they are simply because the US Army has to face them. Then we can discover that fiction disappear a lot when we analyze subliminal meanings: for exemple, maybe can you remind that the bear is the symbol of Russia and on the RDO's flag? Have you realised too that the NME's flag is close to the China's one with its star and the symbolic dragoon?
All that comment to say that I really appreciate the "story" in the game, because it is very, very interesting to analyze.

Well, actually I had a question about a point that it is quite confusing. I said how I admirate the Dev's work about the great credibility of this war situation. It is so realistic that the US army show how to proceed before an intervention in a foreign country (remember : in the comic and in the recon it is said that the RDO officially allowed the american forces to come on its territory to help the civilians). So, the US army have shown their willing to respect UN rules and Geneva Convention.
However I don't understant something important:
In the new Webmaster Asset Kit I saw an NME combat Medic. If a US army sodier shoot at him in AA3, won't it be a violation of international laws? We can tolerate that tne NME don't respect that kind of rules because they are already suspected 'accordind to the comic) of war-crimes, but is the US army urged to commit war crimes too? If I'm not mistaking, combat medics are protected by the Geneva Convention if they are wearing the red cross symbol ( knowingly firing at a medic wearing clear insignia is a war crime) :

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/1...m10.jpg

[Mod Edit: Image tags removed - file size exceeds the forum limit of 190kb]

So what about putting off this symbol from NME's uniforms?

[Dev]Doc

Developer
Developer

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 15:45 Profile United States

To help with some of this debate: soldiers WILL NOT knowingly fire on opfor medical personnel. You always play as US, and the opposing team sees you as opfor. Therefore, we seem to create a situation where you can't ever shoot the medic, right? But the medic can bring people back better than the CLS guys. We seem to create a huge problem here for AA's gameplay, don't we? Even firing on someone who is treating, medic or not, should garner an ROE violation. There are solutions, one of which is what I'm putting forward in the design. I'd rather see you guys discuss how it should work than tell you how I feel I've solved it, both to keep from spilling the beans on a new feature and because it isn't finalized (you'd be playing it if it was). I'm not about to suggest you wait for the guys to get up before acting, however - that'd be dumb.

To answer a corollary question, it never matters how the enemy fights. We fight according to our principles, because again it is NOT about killing the bad guy or keeping yourself safe. It's about going into dangerous situations to do what's right. Period. It's up to the soldier to live up to the army values like that, of course.

I will say this regarding objectives - I feel that it's on us to give you compelling objectives. That's when I'll start complaining that it's just being played wrong.

A clarification on medics being armed - the medic is armed to use lethal force in defense of himself and his patients. Under circumstances where his life or his patients' lives are being threatened, he has full authority to fight. A guy running around shooting is not acting in accordance with his role, and is therefore a combatant and free game. Shooting a medic that is running at you with a gun is perfectly acceptable. Shooting a medic that is not threatening you or is treating wounded of either side (that's right, we are obligated to treat ANY wounded without bias, not just blufor) is NOT acceptable.

There's also the issue of representing that medics are obligated to treat enemy opfor...hmmmmm, I wonder how that'd work in AA?

Last edited by [Dev]Doc on 25 Sep 2010 02:18; edited 1 time in total
-KFS-Lando

Recruit

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 16:01 Profile France

Thank you for your answer Doc.

Lando
Founder of the french speaker AA3 community

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 19:43 Profile United States

-KFS-Lando wrote:

Then we can discover that fiction disappear a lot when we analyze subliminal meanings: for exemple, maybe can you remind that the bear is the symbol of Russia and on the RDO's flag? Have you realised too that the NME's flag is close to the China's one with its star and the symbolic dragoon?

Actualy, the bear reminds me of he Republic of California (bear is still on the state flag). As for the stars, there's some differences. Also, if you treat the acronym N.M.E. phonetically, it gets pretty obvious who they are. I don't think the choice was a coincidence.

-=316=-peg_em

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 20:39 Profile United States

If AA3 is as real as it gets,then any soldiers role should reflect real life as much as possible.
So a fireteam medic should have the medic band as part of the uniform.And anyone who fires on the medic or patient while being treated should receive roe.
Since most of us have passed and are used to using the medic training,maybe something can be impemented as to a limited medic ability, if not the designated fireteam medic.
Next problem would be if the fireteam medic was killed in action no one on that fireteam should be able to assume that role.Meaning we would need to rely on the other medics from the other fireteam.

Now if say the fireteam leader protects the medic while treating a patient then that soldier should receive honor or points towards rank or maybe a coin.

I also like TurtleLegs comment that a medic should have the ability to drag or carry a fallen soldier,it works quite well in arma2.

This scenario would only take place while the medic was treating a patient.If a medic is taking an objective or providing cover fire, then hes fair game and can be taken out with no penalty.

viking_from_norway

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 12:23 Profile Norway

[Dev]Doc wrote:

A clarification on medics being armed - the medic is armed to use lethal force in defense of himself and his patients. Under circumstances where his life or his patients' lives are being threatened, he has full authority to fight. A guy running around shooting is not acting in accordance with his role, and is therefore a combatant and free game. Shooting a medic that is running at you with a gun is perfectly acceptable. Shooting a medic that is not threatening you or is treating wounded of either side (that's right, we are obligated to treat ANY wounded without bias, not just blufor) is NOT acceptable.

There's also the issue of representing that medics are obligated to treat enemy opfor...hmmmmm, I wonder how that'd work in AA?

Talking about aa3 gameplay now.
So a medic running around alone can be killed without breaking the ROE. so what would be considered alone, he's x meters away from a teammate? that would not be a so good idea, a good medic would flank from the best angle even if it means running all the way around and back, to get there, to not get shot.

Another system would be, a guy says medic you accept to heal him over the comm., and then you should be not considered alone and could flank to get to him. And if you don’t complete it, the patient bleeds out or you shooting enemies far away from the wounded soldier. you get ROE ( or some other punishment) also if you can’t heal him because of other more priority patients you can say sorry and cancel him as a healing priority

That’s a better way of doing it IMO..

[Dev]Doc

Developer
Developer

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 12:41 Profile United States

316 - the medic band got phased out a while ago. I'm sure that we will find some way to make the medic obvious when the medic class is visited.

Viking - I totally agree that ROE should result from LOS kills on patients or medics/first responders (correct -> both). I do not, however, think that people should have to wait them to successfully end treatment to intervene. I have a solution to this that's being worked on....what would you guys do?

I'll move back into blog mode soon on here. I'll get around to giving Joe 2.0 some info on what it's like to deploy next, I think.

Last edited by [Dev]Doc on 25 Sep 2010 02:21; edited 1 time in total

Life of a 68W, or: How I learned to love the balm 

Page 1 of 4     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: