More search options

HOT TOPICS  

2nd Video Challenge
AA3 Known Issues
Deploy/AMW Features
AA3 YouTube Videos
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

AA 2.5 slow as molasses on linux but not on windows? 

meatpuppet210

Recruit

Posted: 15 Jul 2009 13:22 Profile

Well this is the issue...I have sucessfully installed and played AA 2.5 on windows XP before on this EXACT same computer but have since switched over to Linux mint and when I try to play it on here now its extremely laggy...I know it cant be the graphics because it ran fine on windows on this same system....PLEASE HELP! Frowning

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 15 Jul 2009 17:51 Profile United States

moving to linux support

Milyardo

Private First Class

Posted: 15 Jul 2009 22:58 Profile United States

Hi meatpuppet210,
Could you tell us more about your system?
What Linux Distro are you using? What version of that Distro?
What kind of GPU do you have? And Which driver are you using with your GPU?
How did you install AA2.5?

What attempts have you made already to trouble shoot your problem?

meatpuppet210

Recruit

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 11:19 Profile

Ok no problem....

GPU: Intel 82945G/GZ integrated graphics

Driver: Open GL renderer/ Mesa DRI Intel 945G GEM

Milyardo

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 12:14 Profile United States

I'm not exactly sure what version of the Xorg stack is used in Linux Mint 7, but if its anything recent its likely going to be effected by the recent performance regressions in the Intel driver.

The performance regressions are the result of the introduction of many new graphics technologies into the driver at the same time. Recently added to the Intel driver is a new graphical memory manager called GEM(which I can see you are using), UXA , a new acceleration architecture replacing the older EXA, support for Kernel Mode Setting, a new DRM(Direct Rendering Manager) module, a new DRI(Direct Rendering Interface) for using the new DRM kernel module, and Galluim3D, a software library that provides layer between the graphics API and the operating system.

All of these pervasive changes at the same time made the last few releases of the Intel driver very unstable. As a result, many distributions began shipping different combinations of all of these parts of the Intel driver, choosing whichever combinations they thought was most stable at the time.

For example some distributions had the new GEMified intel driver but also used an older DRM. Or had the newer DRM, but used DRI1 instead of DRI2.

Keith Packard(The lead developer of the Intel Linux driver) wrote a very informative blog post about this a little while ago which can be found here:http://keithp.com/blogs/Sharpe..._Focus/.

I suggest reading what he wrote, it explains whats happening much better than I could.

As for fixing your performance problem in AA, you have 3 options.

1.) Compile newest intel driver release(not all that easy to do, may need a new Linux Kernel and XOrg stack as well).
2.) Wait for the next release of your distribution, that has a newer Intel driver, Kernel, and Xorg stack.
3.) Switch to an experimental distribution(like Fedora Rawhide, Debian Sid, Ubuntu Karmic, Gentoo) that will have newer(but untested) versions of all these drivers.

AA 2.5 slow as molasses on linux but not on windows? 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: