The Graphic Novel
Server Admin Info
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

Mission Editor for America's Army 3? 

BobBarker

Private

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 17:06 Profile

Will there be such a thing? I've never actually mapped for AA but I do have some experience in the Unreal Editor. From my understanding the mission editor was a feature included with previous installments of AA up until version 3. I tried to import some AA files into the Unreal Editor (I have three games with SDK's that feature the UnrealEd) but I was unsuccessful to say the least. I did notice the EditorRes folder had the icons from the UnrealEd. All of the assets seemed to be .upk files inside of the cooked PC folder. So can anyone fill me in on this topic? Thanks.

-VVaFFenPanZZeR-

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 19:57 Profile United States

Don't even bother with it til they say so..

Embedded Image

"If you want peace- Prepare for War."

Bridge Crossing Northeast H.A.L.O.

Timmoboy

Recruit

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 10:29 Profile

Sorry to steal this thread but I'm really interested in how big maps AA3 actually supports? IMO the maps are too small and linear, it would be fun to make a pretty big but not too big map with a little city or village in the middle. But, is that possible?

151Alpha

Sergeant

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 12:28 Profile Japan

Here's DEVs interviews from AA Poland.

Quote:

Raiden : Will there be any open area maps? If so then how much ammunition will we have, where will we get it when we run out of it if we can't pick up weapons?

DEVs : Unreal isn't really all that great for large open areas, look at Gears of War for example -- each level is a series of small streaming levels that are usually very contained locales. As you increase the draw distance and, as a result, the number of objects that must be rendered at various levels of detail there is a significant hit to performance. Because of this our initial map set does not feature any large-scale open area maps.

Ammunition is really a separate question, but I'll reward your ninja-like skills for getting it past the moderator and answer it. You will be able to create custom loadouts with varying amounts of ammunition; the amount of ammo you carry will affect your speed so it will become something of a tactical decision. If all else fails, you will be able to pick up weapons from the battlefield.

=M4LuTkI= : Do you plan to release map editor together with version 3.0 or do you plan to do it later?

DEVs : We would like to release it eventually, but do not yet know when that will be.

http://www.americasarmy.pl/art...nne/496

Timmoboy

Recruit

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 13:07 Profile

Thanks, that helped a little, too bad about the performance tho... Maybe if you make a map that is a little bigger then they are now, but more non-linear.

chaosdruid

Private First Class

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 09:40 Profile

we made a map of an airfield and surrounding area which is roughly 1.5 x 1.5 km and has a full sized concrete strip long enough for a C130

it does cause some problems as the real limit to file size is terrain area size. Also the graphics are not so good with fog turned off as repetitions of terrain polygons can cause a chessboard effect

The main problem is draw distance and number of objects. We could not have made a map that size of a village or similar without lots of problems but as long as the cull distance is kept low on most objects it can be done for more sparse areas.

Qbert987

Private First Class

Posted: 01 Jan 2011 17:22 Profile United States

Timmoboy wrote:

Thanks, that helped a little, too bad about the performance tho... Maybe if you make a map that is a little bigger then they are now, but more non-linear.

this issue was dealt with quite nicely in UT99-2004 with zoning. basically it divided the map up into sections that would get rendered as the player entered the zones. this theory is overlooked in UT3 I don't know what they have in its place but it dose not work as well as zoning.

Mission Editor for America's Army 3? 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: