Forums

Username:  

Password:  

       
Login Help

  LATEST POSTS  
 
America's Army Launc..
Learning BASICS of A..
can u give us hints ..
AA3 New Patch Releas..
Better Realism Alter..

Keywords:
 

More search options

  HOT TOPICS  
 
Remember when...
Come Back Stories..
AA Challenge Winner
Server Admin Info
» See more topics
  

    « Previous Page        Page 24 of 25     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

 Give us your feedback! 
 

Andriy

Recruit
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jun 2009

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 07:03 Profile Ukraine


It's a good game, I like it
but it have a very big ping, much more higher than in AA2.8
I am from Europe and I play on European servers only, so why it's so high ping?

frankof

Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7980
Joined: 28 Nov 2004

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 07:22 Profile Norway


Andriy wrote:

It's a good game, I like it
but it have a very big ping, much more higher than in AA2.8
I am from Europe and I play on European servers only, so why it's so high ping?


The numbers displayed isnt the regular ping, its total latency including server load.
Its ping + server information handling = latency.
You will see it increase on a server as you see more players join.

_____________________
Embedded Image Embedded Image

greeneyes

Sergeant
Posts: 339
Joined: 04 Jan 2011

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 08:59 Profile Satellite Provider


Lilith wrote:

Free to play. Of course you have to pay for a private server. But it's really no cost to you just to register an account and download the game and do training. There are even some official servers out there still not costing you extra.



Lilith

Sincerely with so many post on this forum and assuming that your knowledge matches with your status, committed several errors in this affirmation.

The game is not free to play, the fact that you do not want/cant pay a server to support this game and the fact that can you play freely, only happens because someone is paying for you. For you to play free of charge, I have to pay, if I do not pay a server for you to play the only thing you could do was downloading and practice offline.

The only thing that has no cost is download and training, all the rest has a cost even if you're not paying it. The correct words are, this game is free to download.

You are saying there are official servers, tell me where they are.

Note that I'm not complaining about the money I spend on this game. I do it because i want to support this game and i do not need over 7k posts to do that.

Lilith

Sergeant Major
Posts: 7172
Joined: 08 Dec 2007

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 15:42 Profile United States


greeneyes wrote:

Lilith wrote:

Free to play. Of course you have to pay for a private server. But it's really no cost to you just to register an account and download the game and do training. There are even some official servers out there still not costing you extra.



Lilith

Sincerely with so many post on this forum and assuming that your knowledge matches with your status, committed several errors in this affirmation.

The game is not free to play, the fact that you do not want/cant pay a server to support this game and the fact that can you play freely, only happens because someone is paying for you. For you to play free of charge, I have to pay, if I do not pay a server for you to play the only thing you could do was downloading and practice offline.

The only thing that has no cost is download and training, all the rest has a cost even if you're not paying it. The correct words are, this game is free to download.

You are saying there are official servers, tell me where they are.

Note that I'm not complaining about the money I spend on this game. I do it because i want to support this game and i do not need over 7k posts to do that.



It took me 4 sentences to say most of what you already said. Are you sure you read it right?

If not, let me reiterate:

I did not pay a cent for this game (ignoring any taxes I may have paid in the past that funded the project and development). Post release, I did not send a check, money order, or COD to post-release support. Just being on this forum, sometimes in conversations with volunteers, had not cost me a dime.

I did not see any page that led me to insert my credit card information upon registration of an account or two. I certainly didn't purchase a CD/DVD version backup copy of the game from a third party provider (though that's optional, you really only should be paying for the S&H costs). Even on Steam, there is no price listing (or third party provider who would provide digital distribution solutions that lets me download the game).

Using my (free) registered account, I could run the program, log in, and pick a server of my choosing, honor or non-honor. Those servers do not charge me for playing on them, whether they're private, or "Official" servers. I log off, and I do not see any emails billing me for any incurred charges for playing the servers, let alone operating the entire program. Not even on LAN (or Instant Action before you even finish BCT).

All of that summed up "Free to play", like I said.

You're talking about being charged for running a server. None of that has any merit for arguing about getting a better game. Pardon my French, but every time I hear or read that someone says that it's "not free", based on the fact they only paid for a server, is an asinine excuse. Anyone can pay for a server and can play any game they'd like with it. For an honor server, that's just only adding an extra perk for yourself, but for everyone else on your server, they didn't use any legal tender for that exchange. Without the extra stuff that you can purchase, the game basically can run alone at no cost to you (again, ignoring extra expenses that you would need: computer, internet, keyboard, mouse, etc.).

Arguing about how you "paid for the game" in essence, is like saying: "hey, I just bought a $3,000 supercomputer that should match the specs to run the game, and the game doesn't work! I demand a refund!". You see how ridiculous it sounds? Perhaps it's the consumer's failure to recognize (or lack of knowledge thereof) of how these systems work. Often, I've read reports of people who couldn't run the game because they ended up with Intel-based systems, even though they had top-of-the-line stuff or whatever. It ends up it doesn't work because their computer didn't match the specs to the letter (like a computer that could run the game, but get the purple texture on windows for having unqualified video chips).

The game IS finicky about what systems work. That's why I lean heavily in doubt when anyone says their system should work, when I am aware it had been designed over a very few strict configurations that had worked. Some of this depended on the Steam data, which I recognize that the majority specs the devs went with may not actually be cheap stuff, so not a lot of people can have access without the money (again, it's not the game you paid for, because you didn't pay for this game). So, the fact that some may not have updated or bought cheaper systems that are assumed to work, even if they were high quality, doesn't mean it will actually work for this game. Sorry, BF2, COD4, CS, ArmA, etc. game comparisons don't work here. this was a game made completely by scratch, enough that it could have been designed for a console, not a multi-platform hardware system that is known as the Personal Computer. Odd, I know, but that is what they went with when they said they were making a completely different game (hence the fact its not an upgrade to AA2).

It's a server. I was talking about playing the game, which is a completely different thing, and that is why I cry foul. Some have been arguing here about how the game is the problem. Just because you paid for the server, doesn't mean you're actually paying for the game (you're paying for server licensing to have a server authorized to play the game on, and extra for the honor to go with it). But all I said was "Free to play". I could go on an Official server, and that's basically a public server. No extra out-of-pocket expenses to you, or anyone playing there. Hey, if you got the server and paid for it, and it works, you got your money's worth. You use the game, and it's free, and somehow you're not happy with it (on yours or anyone else's server), then there isn't any obligation to you (the player) for the devs to fix it 100% competitively. For server owners, this issue is about the game, not the server they paid for. Your expenses aren't involved with this.

That's fine if you want to point out any errors, but I am VERY sure of this: If you don't know where there are official servers, check your filters. Mind you, I was mostly thinking of AA2, where most of the arguments here also apply (even the recurring ones). I know there are several of them because I have played in them from time to time, if I'm not playing on 3 or 4 different (private) ones. Technically, even if there were no private servers, the official ones still exist, and if you're playing on servers, there is no one paying for me (it's already acquired by taxes, and I'm here talking about extra expenses, such as paying for private servers).

Now, this should be the end of this tl;dr, but I hope this clarifies it, if this is complete.

_____________________
Embedded Image
Cheezburger Operator 2007 -

[96]Flatlander

Sergeant
Posts: 346
Joined: 23 Aug 2009

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 16:06 Profile Germany


Official server ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,great 1!!

pay 63 $ each and call this support ;)

greeneyes

Sergeant
Posts: 339
Joined: 04 Jan 2011

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 17:25 Profile Satellite Provider


Lilith,

A bit tl; I did read it, but it was not a great read, I must confess.

There are no "official" servers in AA3. The only ones that you find to play are paid by the community, private or public, honor or non-honor.
Without community support you will find zero servers to play. The game is free for you because you do not support this game, i have to pay for you to play, as i said on my previous post.

If you want debate AA2 servers, we can do that in the appropriate location.

Lilith

Sergeant Major
Posts: 7172
Joined: 08 Dec 2007

      Posted: 26 Feb 2011 22:59 Profile United States


greeneyes wrote:

Lilith,

A bit tl; I did read it, but it was not a great read, I must confess.

There are no "official" servers in AA3. The only ones that you find to play are paid by the community, private or public, honor or non-honor.
Without community support you will find zero servers to play. The game is free for you because you do not support this game, i have to pay for you to play, as i said on my previous post.

If you want debate AA2 servers, we can do that in the appropriate location.



You're still missing my point. You paid for a server. Anything else is a basic expense, and not costing you any extra to properly operate the game. The game can basically run without servers, and the multitude of problems that affect gameplay aren't caused by the servers as people have been complaining, but rather how the game was made.

Just to play on the game, doesn't necessarily require one to play on a server. You just spent that money for yourself, particularly if I wasn't playing on YOUR server. The fact you bought a server is irrelevant, and not any sense of entitlement. Community support here, is also basically made up of volunteers, who are also not paid for it. It can continue with or without extra money, and this won't affect their operating capacity.

You can pretty much play a similar game like this without the multiplayer portion. That part's just so people can learn teamwork, which hasn't exactly worked the way it could have for everyone. That's another problem, and one that servers are involved with.

[VET]Bud

First Sergeant
Posts: 3049
Joined: 19 Feb 2005

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 02:30 Profile United States


Remember AAMP initiative? A brain-child of the core members of this forum, it was a definitive attempt to resurrect the base, orient new players, and augment the launch of AA3. This project was to muster clans to support the initiative, while training new and old players through resource sharing. I kick myself for being talked into letting AGP take control of this project, for in the end, AAMP became a sore spot for the very same clans, where elite players were the only people invited, and the clans left out of the loop. The untold amount of poison-pen PMs I received over this reminds me each day why clans are disappearing.

What started out as a great idea, a program that should have unified the clans AND America's Army, is now another nail in the coffin for many, if not the last one. Where's AAMP today? Inactive.

greeneyes wrote:

I'm deeply disappointed with this, so I apologize for my previous words.. a bit exaggerated.

I understand that the Army Studio does not have the necessary funds to hire people enough, with the necessary knowledge, so that this project can move forward.

My appeal goes to the following, let the community help.
If you have doubts about people honesty, create a very restricted NDA, ask criminal record, ask curriculum, ask previous experience do whatever it takes for these people with knowledge and willingness may be able to help this great game. Refresh Beta program, allow the entry of a new fresh and responsible feedback.
Above all open your minds, do not let this project die, surely you will find dozens of people able to help.

_____________________

Duty ~ Honor ~ Country

United States Army ~ (Ordnance) Veteran ~ 1982 to 1990

Terms of Service | AA3 Game Manual | AA Game Manual | IRC Support Channel | Create Game Account

psych.clw

Recruit
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jun 2009

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 07:51 Profile


for now i can have only one request, but i think it's very important and will slove many community discontent
so here is it: be closer to community and be more open, make a page or sticky post with a public list of bugs u know about to let community know u r working on it
write there the main problem u r working on, write other thing u r working on, the progress of work etc
maybe a weekly report about work done
for now many ppl have the feeling the game is abadoned let them know that is not right
be live, show ppl that the work is going on

greeneyes

Sergeant
Posts: 339
Joined: 04 Jan 2011

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 09:00 Profile Satellite Provider


Lilith,

You're missing the point.

I will try to clarify this situation by comparing two games, I hope you understand.

I've got a dedicated server, Dual Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz CPUs, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SATA Drive, 100Mbit Bandwidth.
Let's start our server with 2 different games. Medal of Honor (MOH) and America's Army 3 (AA3).

MOH Ranked Dedicated Server:
To run and play MOH on my server, I have to buy the game that will cost me about $50.00 (server binaries are free). After a one year to run MOH in my server the only expense that I had was the initial expense to purchase the game, which was $50.00.

AA3 Honor Dedicated Server:
To run and play AA3 on my server, I have to download the game, which is free and I need to purchase the Honor to Pragmatic that will cost me $35.00 per month. After a year to run AA3 on my server I had the expense of $420.00.

With $420.00 could have bought 8 copies of MOH.
Is that your concept of a free thing? Certainly not, so I said let the community get involved on development and testing of this game since we're already giving financial support.

Lilith

Sergeant Major
Posts: 7172
Joined: 08 Dec 2007

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 11:12 Profile United States


[VET]Bud,

I think that happened to AAMP a little after I had ceased catching up posting the meeting updates, booted out of continuing after my brief hiatus (apparently for warnings over a LONG period of time). And I stopped attending anyway, though I did have a wire for the intel.

It really is no surprise to me clans would have lost interest in it. It probably wouldn't have happened if they took initiative as I suggested, as this reminds me, when they say the game was built for clans and competition. Yet, none of them wanted to train some bunch of unaligned players who may need to expand their skills (that also means they would have missed the chance to have a fresh bunch of recruits to continue their legacy). This was a little before AA3 was first released. I had appealed this to what was once the "clan-supporting" communities, AACommand (left to dust apparently, because now there are spammers). I wasn't talking about a full-blown boot camp, but at least they could have acted like it. Anyway, though there were a few side arguments there, in the core of this, I happened to spit out these words:

Quote:

Your rejection of this neutral approach to let the entire community compromise on ideas, will continue to set the whole community apart



Am I wrong now?

Your comment about the 75th R was precisely on the money.

GreenEyes, as much as you can try to convince someone (mainly me) anecdotes about your servers and examples, it still holds no water about how the game is being played, and how that affects the gameplay experience. You can't put a price on that, and your server was only just an extra perk out of it.

greeneyes

Sergeant
Posts: 339
Joined: 04 Jan 2011

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 11:31 Profile Satellite Provider


Lilith wrote:

GreenEyes, as much as you can try to convince someone (mainly me) anecdotes about your servers and examples, it still holds no water about how the game is being played, and how that affects the gameplay experience. You can't put a price on that, and your server was only just an extra perk out of it.



The anecdote here is you, I feel sorry that your vision does not allow you to see it.
Keep the good work of trying to achieve 8K post at all costs as soon as possible, your contribution towards this game is zero.

psych.clw

Recruit
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jun 2009

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 11:45 Profile


stop fighting guys and girls
GreenEyes the game is free u pay by ur own wish only for honor, u can make a server with no honor and play completely free

Lilith

Sergeant Major
Posts: 7172
Joined: 08 Dec 2007

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 13:24 Profile United States


greeneyes wrote:

Lilith wrote:

GreenEyes, as much as you can try to convince someone (mainly me) anecdotes about your servers and examples, it still holds no water about how the game is being played, and how that affects the gameplay experience. You can't put a price on that, and your server was only just an extra perk out of it.



The anecdote here is you, I feel sorry that your vision does not allow you to see it.
Keep the good work of trying to achieve 8K post at all costs as soon as possible, your contribution towards this game is zero.



I'll give you a key difference in what servers you're comparing:

MOH -
greeneyes wrote:

have to buy the game that will cost me about $50.00 (server binaries are free).


AA3 -
greeneyes wrote:

To run and play AA3 on my server, I have to download the game, which is free and I need to purchase the Honor to Pragmatic that will cost me $35.00 per month.




  1. MOH charges you to get the game. The server is not included, but you'll probably have to buy a server (your own machine or a third party provider)

  2. AGP lets you download AA3 for free. Server isn't included, but you can actually play on LAN, Instant Action mode if you didn't complete BCT, and special Official servers (with nice little icons to ID them) that aren't owned by any private entities like yourself.


What you're trying to argue is about getting servers to play with honor. psych.clw pointed out that you can get servers for NO Honor. The fact that I simply said "Free to play" doesn't exclude that. There's no effect on the ability to play with or without honor. The point was, it is no cost to the player to play, period. You don't need to even be on the multiplayer portion just to get some honor (as well as AP points to start). That was only an initiative so that you can play on multiplayer, to experience what the game has to offer. The cost to the server owner doesn't compute here. Even so, if it is worth $420 a year to you to run a server and say that you "paid for the player", then to expect what is currently 1,453,304 registered players to all be on your server for that year alone should be worth more than the money, making its value insignificant. THAT, also weakens your argument. It's almost 0.0003ยข each. The value of copper is worth more than that!

=IK=Doba=

Sergeant First Class
Posts: 1164
Joined: 03 Nov 2009

      Posted: 27 Feb 2011 13:29 Profile Canada


yes Ive been playing AA for nearly 9 yrs now.. havent spent a peny of my own money.. so yes its free.. however my post for those excellent people who pay for servers so that chumps like myself get to play, the game is NOT free.. without those people this game is nothing.. and all I was saying is that at this rate and where this game is heading.. those people are soon all gonna be gone !! and we will be left with nothing..

Psych.clw - NOONE !! wants to plan non honor servers !!!!!!


 Give us your feedback! 
 

    « Previous Page        Page 24 of 25     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

  

Jump to: