HOT TOPICS  

Open Letter
AA3 Mentor FAQ
AA3 Known Issues
AA3 Easter Egg's
» See more topics

Page 1 of 3     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

NEW MAC PLAYERS: Look here before starting new topic! 

.[Ak4].Crunk-ACI-

Sergeant

Posted: 03 Jan 2009 20:07 Profile United States

I notice alot of you guys are posting here with issues that have already been answered. That's cool, I hate reading long threads too. So I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, you need to install 2.5 Assist. It does several things for you...

• Installs Hotfix A, which fixes the autologin bug. There was a bug where having autologin enabled lowered your FPS, this app will check for it, and if not installed.... install it for you.
  • Keeps your Punkbuster up to date. Normally you'll find yourself watching other people play as you watch in your console as it says "Punkbuster update 1% complete... 2% complete..." etc. There's a better way. This will update it virtually instantly.
  • Fixes your serverlist. This seems to be a big issue here for Mac users. Your server list will be empty. 2.5 Assist fixes this problem two ways:
    • Installs the unofficial Hotfix B. What this does is makes your Mac go to a 3rd party source to make your in-game server list work like it should.
    • There is a server list in 2.5 Assist itself... choose a server, click Join, and it will open your game and connect to it. Simple enough.

• Fixes the problem with your profile not being loaded.
  • Checks if you should be using this version of the game in the first place. I'll try to put this in pretty simple terms. When America's Army 2.5 was made, Apple was using PowerPC processors (called G3's, G4's, G5's). These processors used a different language than the rest of the AMD/Intel world. Later, Apple decided to switch to Intel processors. These use the language that the AMD/Intel world uses. Now here comes the problem... If you have a newer Mac, it will have an Intel processor, and the game was written in the PowerPC language since that's what Apple used at the time. The game will open and you will be able to play, but the code will need to be translated from one language to another while you're trying to play. This will be much slower. So basically your shiny new Intel Mac won't get more than 30fps! So what 2.5 Assist does, is checks if you have a PowerPC or Intel processor in your Mac. Then...
    • If you have a PowerPC (G4/G5) Mac (it will say so in green, which is good), you're good to go! Download 2.5 Assist and we'll see you in-game!
    • If you have a Intel Mac, 2.5 Assist will alert you to this problem. To play America's Army on your Intel Mac at full-speed, you will need to get Windows XP SP2 or newer, and use Boot Camp (included in OS 10.5 Leopard) to install the Windows version of the game. Then you basically run whatever the latest version listed at http://americasarmy.com/downloads/

• If you wish to run a server off your Mac, 2.5 Assist will set this up for you! It will check if your ports are open, all that good stuff.
  • Gives you an in-game buddylist. The 2.5 community is a close-knit one, and you'll find people you enjoy playing with. 2.5 Assist will let you add players to your buddylist so if they are online in a server, you can join them!

If anyone has any additional questions, or if something doesn't quite make sense, please reply and I'll update this post so it makes more sense.

Oh yeah, we have a community forum and our very own tracker on 2.5. Check out http://draat.net to check your stats, and converse with the community. Since we're a much smaller community than the rest of A*A, everyone knows everyone and we like to talk. Also due to its small size, there is a relatively small number of cheaters on our version.

Shameless plug... if you're totally new to this game, 9-20 honor, my clan is willing to train you so you can learn the game quicker. If you're interested in that, click here!

Can a mod please sticky this? The old FAQ is kinda outdated.

Last edited by .[Ak4].Crunk-ACI- on 30 Jan 2009 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 02:46 Profile

Please can someone sticky this!! people are still not reading it!

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 02:19 Profile

Bump, Again people are not seeing this Thread.

andrew4whl1

Recruit

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 02:38 Profile United States

I read your post, and went to the 2.5 Assist page, but I got a little confused. I already have v2.5 for Mac installed, so would I need to download 2.5 Assist for Mac or Windows? It has both versions. Since I'm using a iMac I would download the Mac version...right?

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 11:04 Profile

If you already have AA Installed 25Assist will make use of that Installation.
If you are using Mac OS you need the mac version, But if you are using Windows/BootCamp you need the windows version.

[VGO]mmchaos

Volunteer
Volunteer

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 11:36 Profile United States

is this software redistributable?

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 15:06 Profile

It is freeware and will soon be open-sourced once it is complete, So yes you can redistribute it.

andrew4whl1

Recruit

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 18:34 Profile United States

I've got the MAC 2.5 version of AA installed and am playing the training missions right now. a friend gave me a CD of the Windows PC v 2.8.4. If I want to try installing and running the PC version, which should I use 2.5 Assist for Mac or PC?

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 03:25 Profile

You can't install 2.8.4 on a Mac unless you use Windows. Also 2.5 Assist only works with 2.5, Not 2.8.4!

MafiaSPFC

Recruit

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 15:57 Profile

hey i cant do any of my missions its ready to deploy but it takes me to internet game play and its telling me to find a game in th elist but i have no list to pick out of i have refreshed the page but nuthing come up :[....?? HELP!??!?!

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 16:04 Profile

Use the server list in 2.5Assist under the DEPLOY menu.
Or click 'INSTALL' Next to HotFix B2 on the SITREP screen of 2.5Assist.

dragothofblades

Recruit

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 01:07 Profile

Hey, I just downloaded the mac version and the 2.5 assist, installed both and installed EVERYTHING on the assist, but when i try to log in on the personnel jacket page it says that either my internet is down or the authorization server is. I've read posts describing a similar problem, but i haven't been able to find an answer. Any suggestions? Embarassed

EDIT: I also can't do any of the training missions besides marksmanship!

Deletedaccount

Private First Class

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 02:32 Profile

Try creating a new account at login.americasarmy.com

AA25-JonnyM

Recruit

Posted: 13 May 2009 10:32 Profile

Bump, Again, Please could someone sticky this topic, Thanks.

JottaBR

Recruit

Posted: 08 Jul 2009 09:13 Profile

dragothofblades wrote:

Hey, I just downloaded the mac version and the 2.5 assist, installed both and installed EVERYTHING on the assist, but when i try to log in on the personnel jacket page it says that either my internet is down or the authorization server is. I've read posts describing a similar problem, but i haven't been able to find an answer. Any suggestions? Embarassed

EDIT: I also can't do any of the training missions besides marksmanship!

I've got the same problem...

Someone help, please.

NEW MAC PLAYERS: Look here before starting new topic! 

Page 1 of 3     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: