Server Admin Info
» See more topics

Page 1 of 10     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

VOTE FOR UPDATING AA MAC VERSION!!!! 

aRt!sT

Recruit

Posted: 09 Jun 2008 14:16 Profile

I am hoping to rally enough MAC users together to get the AA Devs to want to update the Mac version of the game as well....

Please post a reply below and forward to everyone you know to vote for updating the Mac version as well. If enough responses are there, we may be able to get them to provide Mac updates for the game as well. Worth a try!

Neuenhoff

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 09 Jun 2008 21:55 Profile United States

Good luck with that, your going to need alot of luck to get this to happen, besides, the DEVs don't decide weather to put somting in AA or not, well, they kinda do, but, if the higher up say no, well. And, without alot of mac owners being in the target auduance, well, it sucks for you guys, what you realy should be trying to do is to get more of the target persons on macs.

armorpiercing

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 04:37 Profile Germany

AFAIK, the person who made the linux und mac versions was doing it "on his own". That is, he was allowed to do it, but not paid for it. The code appears to be cross-platform, but uses a lot of 3rd party libraries which simply dont exist for mac/linux. Hence he re-wrote a lot stuff for mac/linux, but simply couldnt catch up with the many new libs used for the windows platform. Finally, he didnt have the time and other obligations and projects, so he had to abandon the mac/linux project.

How can you possible find another guy like him?

Neuenhoff

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 08:03 Profile United States

armorpiercing wrote:

AFAIK, the person who made the linux und mac versions was doing it "on his own". That is, he was allowed to do it, but not paid for it. The code appears to be cross-platform, but uses a lot of 3rd party libraries which simply dont exist for mac/linux. Hence he re-wrote a lot stuff for mac/linux, but simply couldnt catch up with the many new libs used for the windows platform. Finally, he didnt have the time and other obligations and projects, so he had to abandon the mac/linux project.

How can you possible find another guy like him?

He wants the devs to do it, not some unpaided person.

armorpiercing

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 12:16 Profile Germany

AFAIK the Army doesnt pay for Mac/Linux, because the intersection of mac-users and draftees is too low. You need to find a enthusiastic dev that does it in his spare time.

gusduenas

Recruit

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 15:49 Profile

Hi count with me for the update thing...I want a new mac version either.

.[Ak4].Crunk-ACI-

Sergeant

Posted: 14 Jun 2008 20:55 Profile United States

Being as the Mac marketshare is minimal, I can understand why the Army chooses to use its resources on supporting the Windows platform. Plus... most PPC Macs get like 15-50fps on A*A 2.5 as it is, do you think your hardware could really handle 3.0 and its later versions smoothly?

What I would ask of the devs to do is perhaps release a Cider port. For those of you unfamiliar with Cider, it's a system which allows unaltered PC code (say - A*A 3.0 compiled and ready to go) to run on Intel Macs under OSX at near native speed. The advantage of doing this with Cider is that it would require minimal effort and resources to do this since nothing really needs to be altered. There's even been unofficial Cider ports of PC games done by gamers themselves... that's how simple it is. However, at this time Cider ports only work on games which don't have a splash screen, so some cooperation with the devs is needed for this to happen.

So while my request will prob result in nothing, I thought I'd throw it out there. The Mac marketshare is growing, those people are getting Intel Macs, and it would be nice for them to be able to play America's Army on their machine without having to run Boot Camp with a $99+ Windows license.

So yah, plz consider doing a Cider port. More information on Cider available here: http://www.transgaming.com/pro.../cider/

WallOfPain

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 14 Jun 2008 22:13 Profile

Mac's these days are basically a re-badged Windows box anyway.

DarkRaverNL

Private First Class

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 05:45 Profile Netherlands

WallOfPain wrote:

Mac's these days are basically a re-badged Windows box anyway.

Whats that suppose to mean Evil or Very Mad

HunterM90

Recruit

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 18:22 Profile

yes, please update mac version !!!

Kamikaze470

Private First Class

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 18:35 Profile United States

Why don't you guys just switch to Windows? It's that easy.

Neuenhoff

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 19:52 Profile United States

Kamikaze470 wrote:

Why don't you guys just switch to Windows? It's that easy.

Because they like Mac setup or somting, or, they cant afford to do it.

TigerD7

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 20:04 Profile United States

Apple has made MAC Game development somewhat obsolete (for now). Take AA 3.0 for example: The only MAC's that will do a good job running it are basically glorified PC's and can run windows natively. Since most gamers use PC's/Windows, the DEV's save money that would have been spent on hiring out porting to MAC and spend it on better graphics (or extra coffee Smile ).

(BTW: I've used MAC's from the G3 iMac Sad to the Santa Rosa MBP Smile )

(BTW II: The old Mac & Linux versions were not made by an amateur, A company called Icculus was contracted to do the job http://icculus.org/~icculus/resume.txt )

armorpiercing

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 18 Jun 2008 07:33 Profile Germany

No, not by an "amateur". But by a DEV in his sparetime:
http://forum.americasarmy.com/...=213321

Yes, it is true that he was contracted by the Army to do the ports (linux/mac), but the army dropped the support "long time ago". He was working on it for free for the sake of the mac/linux-community. So later on it has become a matter of priorities, which tend to shift from time to time.

ashtrp

Recruit

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 11:53 Profile

I still dont see why they dont make a mac version 3.0

VOTE FOR UPDATING AA MAC VERSION!!!! 

Page 1 of 10     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: