» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 8 of 10     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Forum Specific Feedback - Post it here! 

Skyracer

First Sergeant

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 22:55 Profile United States

Lilith wrote:

Spell check. I know it has been suggested in other threads, but not this one which is looked at specifically to affect the forums. It could just me a separate button (not automatic, because that might be annoying), so therefore, if some one is up to it, they can spell check their post before posting or after when editing as well.

Use firefox Smile

:: IRC Status :: My Video's :: Web IRC Client::
Embedded Image

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 23:29 Profile United States

Skyracer wrote:

Lilith wrote:

Spell check. I know it has been suggested in other threads, but not this one which is looked at specifically to affect the forums. It could just me a separate button (not automatic, because that might be annoying), so therefore, if some one is up to it, they can spell check their post before posting or after when editing as well.

Use firefox Smile

I don't care about third party software. This thread is for forum software.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 02:48 Profile United States

I have another forum suggestion. This has to do with the registering process.

Some sites now use a special security registration process that uses something like "captcha", which is like a random code generator that a person has to type in to register. It's to prevent spammers from entering and posting spam messages. I don't know if this is implemented or working well at all for the AA forums, because lately, I have been seeing spam posted in some forums. The same kind of spam and phishing items that belong in ones junk email box.

On the occassion one does go through, people should alert the mods and report it. However, in the last month, I caught at least 3 coming in. and this was the first time I've noticed since I've been here.

The_Lost_Marauder

Sergeant Major

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 08:05 Profile Brunei Darussalam

You can put all the security actions you like to prevent people from registering, but what prevents them from posting about 1k of spam replies at the same time (which I remember happened some ago) ?

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 08:42 Profile United States

The_Lost_Marauder wrote:

You can put all the security actions you like to prevent people from registering, but what prevents them from posting about 1k of spam replies at the same time (which I remember happened some ago) ?

Usually the people that post spam registered before posting it. The hole is in the registering process which allows people to post spam because of the ease of registering. Otherwise, it could be worse. Certain bots have been made by people with the purpose of making it self-register and post spam within milliseconds without added security measures. The random code generator requres the individual registering to copy hand type the code in person.

The_Lost_Marauder

Sergeant Major

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 11:15 Profile Brunei Darussalam

ah, now I get it... Confused So you're worring about chance that someone can use multiple registration and multiple spam without problems... Neutral
Who knows, I'm quite sure that MODs have secret weapons for such situations... Rolling Eyes
anyway, interesting point. Smile

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 11:21 Profile United States

Yes, that is my concern. All you have to do is reduce the ease of registering, so it wouldn't be possible to have people "hack" into the forums (which mind you is under control of the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense, and not endorsed or a guarantee of privacy or accuracy of information provided). In other words, it's a measure to keep the TOS Violations to a minimum. Otherwise, even if one does go through the system, it'd be failry easy for a mod to disable their account if that happens because they crossed the security line.

The mods may have secret weapons, but they don't have the ability to monitor everything in real time. I'm just suggesting it to save time, resources and effort for the mods to hunt down things like these.

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 07 Nov 2008 23:59 Profile United States

Yeah I've often wondered why AA didn't have that generator. I myself was surprised when there wasn't one there.

The_Lost_Marauder

Sergeant Major

Posted: 08 Nov 2008 18:08 Profile Brunei Darussalam

I've noted something strange when quoting someone who posted a URL address: if you use "normal" {url} tag, it disappears when you quote it; if you use the enhanced {url=*address*} it remains in the quoted text.
Is it some kind of bug or was it intened to be like that?

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 02 Dec 2008 21:07 Profile United States

When you subscribe to a Thread, is it supposed to PM you or something when a new post has been made to it?
Cus I never get one if that's what's supposed to happen. I still wonder what that button is for today.

Btw, I'm subscribing to this topic, so when I get an answer I can check if it really is working.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 02 Dec 2008 22:06 Profile United States

The_Lost_Marauder wrote:

I've noted something strange when quoting someone who posted a URL address: if you use "normal" {url} tag, it disappears when you quote it; if you use the enhanced {url=*address*} it remains in the quoted text.
Is it some kind of bug or was it intened to be like that?

No, you coded it wrong.

it is supposed to be:

Code:

[quote="[url=URL Link]Text[/url]"]blah blah blah[/quote]

W@@dy wrote:

When you subscribe to a Thread, is it supposed to PM you or something when a new post has been made to it?
Cus I never get one if that's what's supposed to happen. I still wonder what that button is for today.

Btw, I'm subscribing to this topic, so when I get an answer I can check if it really is working.

It's supposed to email you when a new reply arrives (if you do email notifications), and it sticks on the "view your posts" section[/code]

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 02 Dec 2008 22:09 Profile United States

Yeah, you're right lol. I opened up Opera and it said I had an Email from the forums. I freaked and thought I was banned or something lol.
Thanks for the feedback.

-Freek-

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 11:26 Profile Netherlands

how come when you click the link in Latest Posts, you get directed to the first post in the topic, not the last one? as you might aspect.... since it does update when someone posted inthat topic?

meaning...the post gets put at the top of the Latest Posts list when someone responed to it...but i gotta scrolldown/jump to the last page myself?

using firefox btw

dunno if it has been suggested be4...couldnt be bothered scrolling tru 8 pages

Embedded Image

[UN], The Movie:

http://www.wegame.com/watch/UN..._Noobs/

W@@dy

First Sergeant

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 13:54 Profile United States

There's a Page Jump button that you can use instead of going page by page.
Still I understand what you mean.

-Freek-

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 15:21 Profile Netherlands

ye i know W@@dy but thats not what i mean

i mean that u expect that you not only go to the topic, but also to the last made reply..but you just go to the topic

Forum Specific Feedback - Post it here! 

« Previous Page        Page 8 of 10     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: