Most Common Topics+Answers 

=NOLB=Kratos

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 20 May 2009 16:04 Profile

game_freak62 wrote:

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

game_freak62 wrote:

Will there be a Mac/Linux version?

The odds are good that there will not be a Mac/Linux version. This is because the Army's target audience are teens to young adults in the United States. The amount of people who fall into that category who also use a Mac/Linux system are small. Even smaller is the amount of people in that category who would join the Army. That makes it not worth the time and money to develop. As for having other people port it, the Army wants to develop the game in house, they would have to contract those people, which costs time and money.

Actually, the Linux/Mac gaming community is larger than that. And actually, a big part of the Linux/Mac gaming community is getting Windows games to run on Linux/Mac. Direct X compatibility from compatibility layers or emulations are terrible, but opengl support on Linux is great(it's really the only 3D option left after Direct X). I would think that if an opengl rendering were done for the game, Linux/Mac gamers would find new and inventive ways to make the game run on their systems.

i think your answer is no there bud, i could be wrong but they answered this in another topic its only windows platform as far as we know it try going to aa3.com or what ever the page is it dosent have either of those os listed as of yet.

I have no doubt they have. I was suggesting that if the game had an alternate rendering in OpenGL, then Linux/Mac users could make ways to install it without having a native install for those operating systems without having to worry about how poorly Direct X games render through emulation on those platforms.

now i know i heard of a program that works on unix that runs windows o/s stuff but im not sure what it is

game_freak62

Recruit

Posted: 20 May 2009 16:28 Profile

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

game_freak62 wrote:

=NOLB=Kratos wrote:

game_freak62 wrote:

Will there be a Mac/Linux version?

The odds are good that there will not be a Mac/Linux version. This is because the Army's target audience are teens to young adults in the United States. The amount of people who fall into that category who also use a Mac/Linux system are small. Even smaller is the amount of people in that category who would join the Army. That makes it not worth the time and money to develop. As for having other people port it, the Army wants to develop the game in house, they would have to contract those people, which costs time and money.

Actually, the Linux/Mac gaming community is larger than that. And actually, a big part of the Linux/Mac gaming community is getting Windows games to run on Linux/Mac. Direct X compatibility from compatibility layers or emulations are terrible, but opengl support on Linux is great(it's really the only 3D option left after Direct X). I would think that if an opengl rendering were done for the game, Linux/Mac gamers would find new and inventive ways to make the game run on their systems.

i think your answer is no there bud, i could be wrong but they answered this in another topic its only windows platform as far as we know it try going to aa3.com or what ever the page is it dosent have either of those os listed as of yet.

I have no doubt they have. I was suggesting that if the game had an alternate rendering in OpenGL, then Linux/Mac users could make ways to install it without having a native install for those operating systems without having to worry about how poorly Direct X games render through emulation on those platforms.

now i know i heard of a program that works on unix that runs windows o/s stuff but im not sure what it is

There's WINE for unix/linux systems that works pretty well on games so long as they don't use that DRM bull. There's also bootcamp for Mac, which is very slow on games but works. Neither is a very good option when using Direct X though, thus my OpenGL idea. I think Linux/Mac users could install using the Windows install via a system like one of those if they didn't have to worry about graphics incompatibility.

BigBoss44

Recruit

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 13:12 Profile

i can play aa2 like a dream but with the shader 3.0 i can't play aa3 and a lot of people cant. i live with 3 other people that play aa2 and cannot play aa3 and that sucks because i got a taste of it at a friends house and a round of applause to the makers cause it is SWEET!!! so maybe but i doubt it you guys might consider changing back to shader 2.0 for aa3 that would make me and lol$-shadow, and Js5ohlx a lot happier (not like many people care but im just speaking out for the other bunch of people that cant play aa3 Cheesy Grin

DCSp3x

Recruit

Posted: 29 Jun 2009 12:32 Profile

Hirukaru wrote:

Think the real army would do it also,

well US Army doesnt support sidearm to all troops, but if iam correct they support them to Special forces troups, (most of the time)
If not,

EVERY line medic in my platoon get issued a M9 pistol for the field and combat, and this is in the big army

82ndABNDIV

historylover00

Private

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 01:26 Profile

Enough with the flaming. There is no reason to lock this thread over some petty squabbling.

{-{FMJ}-OMEGA-} your post was so full of misunderstandings, wrong ideas and inaccuracies, I'm not sure where to start...

I can't let the SAW part go though... The SAW is no way, shape or form a heavy machine gun.

shadowcreaper

Recruit

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 10:04 Profile

hi all

I have a question for this

Quote:

Bayonets

No, while soldiers are trained how to use bayonets, they just don't use them in combat anymore.

this is actually very untrue as the bayonet is being used sadly more in combat, as the CQB are more common in the war zones troops are now stationed in.

So actually a bayonet is much more realistic and far better to be used in game than the CTRL melee funtion which would NEVER be used as troops are told fighting technques and hitting someone with butt of rifle isnt one of them, instead bayonet drills are used.

so might be idea to update this to be in line with real life, just look at the honor roles/medals awarded to our troops, quite a few were awarded recently to men who had to use bayonet in combat.

PinkPanther

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 10:46 Profile United States

RE: Linux and Mac

While your crunching numbers subtract the number of people that join the military who are low income ( 14.6 percent ), because these people probably never heard of this game and don't even own a computer, I didn't back then. Then subtract those who are not poor but are also not in the target zone who are running Windows. Also, anyone can put up a website saying whatever they want, so where did "Bud's" numbers come from again?

http://www.heritage.org/resear...-08.cfm

BTW:

"So 1.375 million / 281.4 million = 0.5% of the population.

So once again, we'll take this number and assume that out of any randomly selected group, about 0.5% of the population either is in the military or will join the military."

Is obviously wrong, since it's 0.5% of the population, not 0.5% of the people who use or don't use Windows or "any randomly selected group", but the ENTIRE population, your now subtracting apples from oranges. You also don't know how many of the 1.375 million didn't and or don't use Windows either. ;)

More numbers for you:

http://counter.li.org/estimates.php

That being said I've read before that the easiest way to port something to Linux from Windows is by using Wine lib, but it wont work for everything, it would be nice however if we could even get it to install and run under Wine though, which is another subject, AA ran much better in Linux and with less hardware. I'm sure this house is dead though.

http://www.kegel.com/wine/isv/

I think the Army values computer intellect and I'm certain that they like many others in the government and film sectors know where their best value is on that.

Last edited by PinkPanther on 16 Sep 2009 21:48; edited 1 time in total
longjon76

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 14:57 Profile United States

shadowcreaper wrote:

hi all

I have a question for this

Quote:

Bayonets

No, while soldiers are trained how to use bayonets, they just don't use them in combat anymore.

this is actually very untrue as the bayonet is being used sadly more in combat, as the CQB are more common in the war zones troops are now stationed in.

So actually a bayonet is much more realistic and far better to be used in game than the CTRL melee funtion which would NEVER be used as troops are told fighting technques and hitting someone with butt of rifle isnt one of them, instead bayonet drills are used.

so might be idea to update this to be in line with real life, just look at the honor roles/medals awarded to our troops, quite a few were awarded recently to men who had to use bayonet in combat.

I have never used a bayonet in combat. I have hit someone with the butt of my rifle.

As far as "quite a few" medals being awarded to our Bubbas for using a bayonet in combat, could you link me to a citation for one of them?

PinkPanther

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 21:59 Profile United States

We learned both methods back when I was enlisted, but hey, we used to have to shine our boots, make sure we didn't have ANY loose threads, had to sew all our patches on, the thought of not having your trousers bloused was never something that was to run through your head and our uniforms didn't look like PJs either nor were they near as comfortable, I feel those things instilled discipline, which seems to be an issue now days. That was back when soldiers cursed, a lot even and if you didn't know any good cursing you'd learn it from your drill sargent, because they cursed, a lot. It really wasn't that long ago either.

dirkcutler

Recruit

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 22:46 Profile

Its okey with me if there is no knives in america's army because there are still lot of weapons. You can use guns, swords, etc.

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 23:36 Profile United States

dirkcutler wrote:

Its okey with me if there is no knives in america's army because there are still lot of weapons. You can use guns, swords, etc.

There are no swords either.

BoomBom

Private First Class

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 11:37 Profile

Lilith wrote:

dirkcutler wrote:

There are no swords either.

Pikes then??? Please, prettyplease Crying or Very Sad

dodz

Recruit

Posted: 04 Mar 2010 12:27 Profile

Knife is really prohibited in America? How about when they used as a weapon or used it as a self defense? Still prohibited? How about hidden knives still prohibited?

Lilith

Sergeant Major

Posted: 04 Mar 2010 12:30 Profile United States

dodz wrote:

Knife is really prohibited in America? How about when they used as a weapon or used it as a self defense? Still prohibited? How about hidden knives still prohibited?

You misunderstand the position on knives. It's not prohibited at all. It's not USED in the Army as much as people think these days in COMBAT. It's for those days when an MRE is a "Meal Refusing to Exit". There's just no reason to use knives after melee can be used.

dodz

Recruit

Posted: 04 Mar 2010 13:03 Profile

Lilith wrote:

dodz wrote:

Knife is really prohibited in America? How about when they used as a weapon or used it as a self defense? Still prohibited?

You misunderstand the position on knives. It's not prohibited at all. It's not USED in the Army as much as people think these days in COMBAT. It's for those days when an MRE is a "Meal Refusing to Exit". There's just no reason to use knives after melee can be used.

Ahh thank you for explaining.

Most Common Topics+Answers 

« Previous Page        Page 25 of 26     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: