Name that AA map!
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 3     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

2.8 Linux Client? 

billbravo

Recruit

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 11:08 Profile

Hi ... if the problem is the time to development the linux version of the game, think in release the game to the comunity and secure they can help to make a good port of the game

[MIA]KCToker

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 17:39 Profile United States

Except nobody is ever going to convince the Army to let some (un-contracted) people port the game.

TheGunny wrote:

Abstract is to Art as KFC is to chicken

Finger licking good?

WAFEL

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 09 Feb 2008 08:42 Profile Europe

How can TUX empower if there is no up to date version Crying or Very Sad

Rodox102

Recruit

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 11:28 Profile Argentina

The devs would have to work hand in hand with the community, which is much harder than hiring skilled people to do it (although cheaper). I don't think they have time for that, although it would be pretty nice Cheesy Grin

Cope57

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 21:16 Profile United States

Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for.
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does.

OldStunna

Private First Class

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 22:18 Profile

Aries.Quitex wrote:

If AAOps would be available for PS3 at least, I could get myself one of those, and then dual-boot either into YDL for working or PS3 mode for playing. It really sucks having to stick with the old 2.5 AAOps just cause they suddenly decided to be able to reduce the number of customers they have.

your lucky your stuck with it. Cheesy Grin

silviumc

Recruit

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 12:36 Profile

Can we have a poll on the forums to count how many people would play on a Linux client?

At least we'd have some hard facts, like numbers.

a_small_cake

Private First Class

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:29 Profile Poland

Developers don't care and they will not care, no matter how many times will you ask or beg them. USArmy uses Linux everywhere but they won't release game for this platform.

[MIA]KCToker

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 04:39 Profile United States

a_small_cake wrote:

Developers don't care and they will not care, no matter how many times will you ask or beg them. USArmy uses Linux everywhere but they won't release game for this platform.

I don't know why I keep repeating myself, since it's obvious you just don't listen, but here it goes again:

The amount of people using Linux in the US is small
The amount of those people playing games on Linux is smaller
The amount of those people in AA's target demographic of teens to young adults is even smaller
The amount of those people who would be influenced to join the Army because of AA is almost nonexistent

There aren't many resources, they need to put those resources in the places where they will receive the most return (in the case of AA, return is someone joining the Army). The return they would get would be almost nil if they spent resources on developing a Linux version, yet the resources spent on it would be massive (at least in terms of AA). It. Isn't. Worth. It.

You want a Linux version? Here's what you need to do:

Get people in the target demographic to use Linux as their OS.

Until a sizable amount of people do that, there won't be a version.

And before you say "They had enough resources to make earlier versions", no, they didn't. That was a [Dev] (who has since left the project) porting the game on his own free time, for free. No [Dev] with the knowledge to port the game has that time now, so you don't get a version.

You can blame whoever you want, it doesn't change the facts.

ottk3

Recruit

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 08:02 Profile Germany

We just have to to find a lot of Linux nerds in the USA who want to join the army... sounds pretty easy... :-/

a_small_cake

Private First Class

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 16:56 Profile Poland

USArmy is like "300 Spartans" : they take everything and give back nothing. But hey, I have got more time for reading now, not a bad thing, is it?

[MIA]KCToker

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 18:51 Profile United States

a_small_cake wrote:

USArmy is like "300 Spartans" : they take everything and give back nothing. But hey, I have got more time for reading now, not a bad thing, is it?

Wow, you just don't get it.

Last time for everyone:

They don't have enough money to make the game for Linux, period.

a_small_cake

Private First Class

Posted: 23 Apr 2008 03:51 Profile Poland

No money but they made AA version for mobiles...Good joke. I understand it as a political decision. They won't support Linux, because Microsoft will pay them more (give hardware and OS licenses). I wish they stop releasing Linux server version of AA. it would be fair IMHO. No client and no server (no money means no money, right?).

[MIA]KCToker

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 23 Apr 2008 21:17 Profile United States

a_small_cake wrote:

No money but they made AA version for mobiles...Good joke. I understand it as a political decision. They won't support Linux, because Microsoft will pay them more (give hardware and OS licenses). I wish they stop releasing Linux server version of AA. it would be fair IMHO. No client and no server (no money means no money, right?).

Yeah, you are aware that the only version the Army made was the PC version, right? They licensed out the rights to make the gimmick versions to commercial companies, hence why they suck... and cost money.

And lol @ MS paying them to put the game on Windows. MS pays them nothing. It's basic economics, if you don't have enough money to reach everyone, you put your money into the method that will reach the most people.

WAFEL

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 08 Jul 2008 11:57 Profile Europe

they should ask recruits.

you were playing AAO Linux or Windows?

2.8 Linux Client? 

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 3     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: