» See more topics

Page 1 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

How to use the SAI 

-Zait-

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 13:25 Profile United States

Having played in Official servers for the last few days now I see some confusion in people with respect to using the SAI and what it tells you. Below is a diagram of the icons and what they represent.

Embedded Image

The keys are the Objective Above/Below and Teammate Above/Below as they will tell you the most info.

Squad Leader: You should use the SAI to direct your team to objectives that you want to focus on. Hit the "O" key then the letter of the objective (A, B, C and so on) and the objective icon will [GLOW=orange]flash.[/GLOW]

Team Members: You should follow the direction that your squad leader sends you in. Taking objectives =winning the map.

Everyone else: Use the "Report enemy location" key when you see the enemy. Doing so will allow your team to know where the enemy is and they can suppress them and flank them when possible.

**Note - For those of you so concerned about your precious Fragrate and that reporting the enemy will let someone steal your kill, get a brain and report them in as you shoot or after you killed them or missed them. That way everyone knows where the battle is.

Please don't turn this into a SAI bashing thread. If you don't like the SAI then all you have to do is go to your settings menu and under the HUD tab disable the SAI and it will remove it for every map. If you want to disable it for a single map then you can use the [ and ] keys to remove it and bring it back on individual maps.

SAI settings are found in the "Settings" menu under the "HUD" tab. There is a setting there for showing "Player Names", "Elevations" or "Both". I recommend setting it to both until you get used to it.

You can find more info using the "Support" button on the game menu or in the Quickstart guide in the "Help" folder of your America's Army file.

Here are the answers to a few questions that have been asked in Tracker:

Quote:

Originally posted by Welshy
What does the white circle (linked) mean? FTL and SL both have it.
That they are in your Squad?
Also, above players, do they have there icon and the "team mate above" icon?
Quote:

Originally posted by [Dev]AceKilla
Yes, the white circle around player icons indicates you are linked with them which in turn indicates the following:

- You are now a part of that group and daisy-chained to anyone else linked in.
- You and those you are linked to are now benefitting from the teamwork CEM bonus.

There are multiple ways to use the SAI, for example:

You can hit F4 to bring up the full screen SAI, then hit [ key to toggle the SAI off. This way, the SAI is not on your main Hud, but you can hit [ again to toggle the full screen quickly to see where you are (and bringing it up this way doesn't stop your movement).

Quote:

Originally posted by Stormsorter
I've noticed that sometimes a teamates icon is a shade darker than the others....what does this mean?

Quote:

Originally posted by [Dev]AceKilla
Team members who are in your fireteam are a light green color. Teammates who are in a different fireteam than you are a darker shade of green.

Any questions?

Last edited by -Zait- on 17 Sep 2006 21:37; edited 1 time in total
Looking-for-a-team

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 13:53 Profile

good job. i personally didnt think it was that hard but when i geton snake plain and we get the intel i tell someone to get in a humvee and go get obj D and i will get C they say "where is D at" then i tell them to look at the SAI and they still have no clue. hopefully some ppl look at this and it helps them.

The_Sultan

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 14:37 Profile

Sticky!

mikeusa8

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 14:52 Profile United States

I must say, that does help.

Palivizumab

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 16:14 Profile

Yes that answers a few questions.

unforgiven91

Sergeant

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 17:43 Profile

bravo *applauds rediculously* *sheds a tear*

strayshot

Sergeant

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 18:20 Profile

wow thanks, i was wondering how to find out where the objective is elevationwise

BullseyeSoldier108

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 21:02 Profile United States

Yes, thank you, very helpful. But I just have one question. When I say "Enemy Spotted, I do not see the red diamond show up on the SAI. But when other teammates say "Enemy Spotted, I see the red diamond. Am I not supposed to see my own "Enemy Spotted" diamonds?

Tomorrow night I "dine in hell". Then head off to "where we fight, and they die" to watch teh movie "in the shade". I know, I know "this is madness!". But in reality THIS IS R&R!!!!

Teh funneh...

Ranger51

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 21:10 Profile

Nice work. *cheers loudly* Very Happy

-Zait-

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 21:33 Profile United States

BullseyeSoldier108 wrote:

Yes, thank you, very helpful. But I just have one question. When I say "Enemy Spotted, I do not see the red diamond show up on the SAI. But when other teammates say "Enemy Spotted, I see the red diamond. Am I not supposed to see my own "Enemy Spotted" diamonds?

You should unless you are reporting farther away than your map can see. Try zooming the SAI map out using the mouse wheel and see if that helps.

The_Sultan

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 22:50 Profile

BullseyeSoldier108 wrote:

You have to say Enemy spoted using your Z button(thats the default). If you go in through the radio commands, it will not put a red dot.

foghorn

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Sep 2006 23:26 Profile Australia

Nice job, helped. Thanks Laughing

[Dev]AceKilla

Developer
Developer

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 01:19 Profile United States

More 'SAI Chi':

Remember when reporting enemies that you shouldn't try to aim at them directly, but at the ground or wall near their position. This will help in avoiding trying to spot an enemy directly and missing their character model, thus spotting a position well beyond.

This can also be used when you don't want to expose yourself again, and can spot the wall or ground anywhere near them that you can safely see. Especially useful is spotting an enemy higher or lower than their position vertically since the enemy spotted icon does not indicate elevation, just horizontal position.

=UnwireD=

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 01:46 Profile Philippines

It helps me alot... Very Happy

Nice work.

Embedded Image

Romulus

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 19 Sep 2006 16:24 Profile

thx for the SAI settings note .. that helped me the most.

Cool

How to use the SAI 

Page 1 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: