Open Letter
» See more topics

Page 1 of 1     

USCG In-game Icon Revisited 

cwo4coastie

Recruit

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 21:48 Profile

Good Evening,
I have read numerous postings on various threads concerning this topic; I have also noted that the most recent thread was "locked" and no reply or additional comment was allowed to be entered. I also have not yet seen a definitive reply posted by a Developer. So, I re-open the question here.
There have been numerous replies to this question posed in other threads that indicate a misconception as to the nature of the USCG. Some believe that the USCG is still organized under the DOT or, worse, still in the Treasury Department. Some see it as a "non-military" entity which never was, and remains, uninvolved in global military affairs. I can only challenge those who hold these beliefs to "do their homework" and spend an hour or so "Googling" our service history from 1790 up to today; anyone who does so with an open mind will end up with equally opened eyes.
All of the above having been said, the salient point at issue is simply thus: There are five (5) branches of the Armed Forces of the United States of America; not "uniformed services", not "government agencies" nor any other tangental description, but simply Armed Forces of the U.S.: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
This point alone should be the determining factor, and asking the game Developers for inclusion of a USCG in-game icon in this game is not an issue of "wanna-be's whining at the door", but of recognition of fellow Active-Duty service members who only ask to be given their just due.
And so, in closing I respectfully pose this question and (as an Active-Duty service member) charge a Developer/s to respond to this open forum with a definitive response that will put the matter to rest once and for all: Will a USCG in-game icon be added to the ones already available in AA, and if so, what steps must be taken, or assistance can we Coasties offer, to facilitate the process?
I offer my bona-fides to you, the developers, as an assurance that my question is both legitimate and sincere in intent.
Regards,
CWO4 (ELC) Allen T. Mordica
USCG Engineering Support Unit (ESU) Portsmouth VA
Active Duty: 15MAY78 - present

Unicorn01

Veteran
Veteran

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 00:35 Profile United States

I think that in the past when this has come up, the reason was that you don't have a ".mil" email address so the system can do it automatically. This is the sole reason as far as I know that you don't get an in-game icon. Get the Coast Guard to give you an equivalent to AKO or NKO, with a military email address and you're good to go. I seriously doubt it's an attempt to slight you or your branch of service as I'm sure that the devs do know that the Coasties have a long and rich history, to include current operations in the Persian Gulf (yes people, I do mean Irak).

Jumping around like a ... Jack Russell on a hot sidewalk is not something we do in the Army.

GBGangsta

AA Community Manager
AA Community Manager

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 02:54 Profile United Kingdom

I do not believe that this is a matter of discrimination or doubt that the USCG is a part of the "Armed Forces" rather a technical hurdle that, at this stage, cannot be overcome.

Given the abuses in the past of the Forces Icon, and the number of people deserving it an automated system must be used in order to enable icons to be applied to accounts. For this to happen a unique identifier must be used to verify as best as possible the authenticity of the person applying for an icon. Currently we use the .mil email address. It is not perfect but its the best we have at the moment.

If I understand correctly the USCG do not get access to .mil email addresses? This I would suggest is the real issue.

As Unicorn01 stated, it would make more sense to see if as a USCG member there was a way of acquiring a .mil address as that is currently the only way to get an icon in game.

cwo4coastie

Recruit

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 06:44 Profile

Sirs,
In fact, All active duty USCG members are now "issued" a ".mil" e-mail address when initially joining the service. If you wish you can also contact me at allen.t.mordica@uscg.mil, my work e-mail address used to validate my AA "nom de guerre", -{F^S}-coastiecwo4. I used my home address to gain membership to this forum simply for convenience's sake.
Regards,
ATM

GBGangsta

AA Community Manager
AA Community Manager

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 09:00 Profile United Kingdom

cwo4coastie wrote:

Sirs,
In fact, All active duty USCG members are now "issued" a ".mil" e-mail address when initially joining the service. If you wish you can also contact me at allen.t.mordica@uscg.mil, my work e-mail address used to validate my AA "nom de guerre", -{F^S}-coastiecwo4. I used my home address to gain membership to this forum simply for convenience's sake.
Regards,
ATM

Ok Doke, just so Im clear then the issue is as follows.

You have a .mil email account and when you use it on your player account you see the military icons but USCG isnt represented?

Is that correct?

cwo4coastie

Recruit

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 09:37 Profile

Sir,
There are two questions; one, I don't seem to have an option to select an in-game icon; two, I don't believe that there actually is a USCG icon available to choose. If I am indeed ignorant of the process of selecting an icon, then I appreciate any help you can give in steering me in the right direction to do so.
Thanks for the responses and the willingness to help out.
Regards,
ATM

cwo4coastie

Recruit

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 09:43 Profile

Addendum:
- Under "change Profile", my current e-mail address is a .uscg.mil one...
- In my "account management" under "change personnel jacket", where "Group/Icon:" is shown, only "normal user" is available to choose.
Regards,
ATM

GBGangsta

AA Community Manager
AA Community Manager

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 09:45 Profile United Kingdom

Ok Im gonna move this to a PM discussion as its not really feedback anymore.

Expect a pm in a min.

GB

CPO-Shifty

Private

Posted: 07 Jan 2011 11:04 Profile Australia

Yeah i am wearing a uscg icon to. but it doesnt show up in the AA Acount history just like my training because of autoban ore some reason.

OAS][Shifty

frankof

Posted: 07 Jan 2011 11:33 Profile Norway

CPO-Shifty wrote:

Yeah i am wearing a uscg icon to. but it doesnt show up in the AA Acount history just like my training because of autoban ore some reason.

OAS][Shifty

Thats because AutoBan is a third party app on a third party site that hasn't been updated for a long time, and not all servers used autoban anyways, so you would have to play on specific servers to get the info collected.

CPO-Shifty

Private

Posted: 07 Jan 2011 13:15 Profile Australia

Yeah i tried to play on 2.8.3 and 2.6 with this account on some servers but it is still not updated....

GuN_F{OC}KER

Private First Class

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 16:53 Profile United States

hooyah,

Tell those that doubt us to tell us (like myself) the men of ledet that we are not a force to be reckoned with. Not only are we specialized in CQC and NTT's but I also was just one of many who did see combat in 03 and 04 in Iraq alongside the army, marines, and navy.

I do thank you for being involved in getting us the icon. There are a few of us on here.

GuNn3R

-(K^FS)-coastiecwo4

Recruit

Posted: 08 Feb 2011 11:43 Profile

Good Afternoon,
When I lobbied the developers in September '06 to request that a United States Coast Guard in-game icon be created, the objection cited at the time was that USCG personnel were not US military members, because they did not have "@uscg.mil" email address to substantiate such an icon. When I proved that to be untrue the developers, much to their credit, were quick to create one. My fellow "Coasties" and I am grateful to you for doing so.
I notice now that foreign military players are now claiming/displaying USCG icons. Is this a fundamental change in the basic requirement for allowing service-related icons, that now a ".mil" email is no longer required?
Regards,
coastiecwo4 (CWO4, USCG)
allen.t.mordica@uscg.mil

m_hermann

Admin
Admin

Posted: 08 Feb 2011 22:23 Profile United States

.mil e-mail is the only method

-(K^FS)-coastiecwo4

Recruit

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 00:18 Profile

m_hermann,
Much appreciated for the quick reply, and for the confirmation.
Regards,
Coastiecwo4

USCG In-game Icon Revisited 

Page 1 of 1     

Jump to: