Common Solutions
» See more topics

Page 1 of 8     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

THE solution for the widespread fps problem in 2.5 

edd1e

Private First Class

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 23:18 Profile

UPDATE: As slonar pointed out, the dev made a patch to fix the automatic login issue. I have tested it and it appears to work, with only minimal loss of framerate while logged in.

Direct link to update: http://treefort.icculus.org/ar...50a.dmg

original post
fps too low to play? most likely you are a victim of automatic login. have you noticed that nice new automatic account login feature in your personnel jacket?

Do NOT let it automatically log you in.

In fact, do not ever log in directly through the personnel jacket while you intend to play the game. Instead, as soon as you start up the game (restart it if you already logged in), go to deployment directly and join a server. The game server will make sure you are logged in without the fps drop.

I went from average of 9fps to 34fps on bridge crossing.

Edit: inexperienced player-proof instructions:
1. open AA
2. go to personnel jacket
3. ensure that username and password are entered
4. ensure that "save login info" is checked (I think that's what it's called)
5. ensure that "auto login" is unchecked (again, paraphrasing actual button name)
6. quit AA
7. open AA
8. go to deployment
9. join a server
10. check your fps, verify that it is indeed higher Smile

Last edited by edd1e on 11 Nov 2005 15:49; edited 4 times in total
Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 23:30 Profile

When I try to join it tells me to log in. Maybe it depends on the type of server.

~Balthamos

(and yes, this is known that logging-in drops your performance, though I think it has been subtly posted)

[xXx]zeusbap

Sergeant

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 23:36 Profile

Hmm... I'll give it a shot. I hope you're right.

flightace37

Sergeant

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 23:49 Profile

If this is the case...

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THE LOGIN SCREEN BE EATING COMPUTE CYCLES!!!!!!?????

Shocked Shocked Shocked Mad Mad Mad Confused Confused Confused

If true, that is simply insane!

I'll sample it when I have time... That is if JJ doesn't beat me to it. If the menu routines are still typing up clocks when we're not using them, then there's some really bad code in that fine-business, long-awaited binary.

EDIT:

I just did a quick check of AA on singleplayer Bridge with logging in, and without logging in... Two seperate runs of the program. Looking at roughly the same spot, in roughly the same location, I got: 43 (without logging in) and 25 (logged in) FPS...

Wow... I don't even need to GDB/Shark/Sampler to know that something is going on, and it is related to the login routine. WOW.
Shocked

Now... that figure of 43 in singleplayer is still way below my figure of 57 on Bridge in that same spot on AA 2.3 but 43 is definitely acceptable.

- GUI version - filefront

Last edited by flightace37 on 02 Nov 2005 00:00; edited 1 time in total
[xXx]zeusbap

Sergeant

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 23:59 Profile

Ok... I don't know if I did it right, but every time i unclicked the "Automatic Login" button and joined a server, it just turned itself back on again. I'll do it from the .ini file tomorrow and see what comes up.

PS: Yes, it's insane.

-MaC-LiquiD.au

Private First Class

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 02:54 Profile

i'm reinstalling 2.5 to put this theory to the test. To get it to automaticly login withough u doing anything in Personal jacket, go to the user ini and put ure username and password in that section for it down the bottom somwhere.

-MaC-LiquiD.au

Private First Class

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 03:10 Profile

HOO [TOS Violation] HAAA!!!!!

IT bloody works!

i did my method and enterd my user name p/w in my user.ini. my name had a litte square after it but i still joined a server with exactly same fps as 2.3, maybe even better.

flightace37

Sergeant

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 04:05 Profile

I wish I could play extraction with better than 9 FPS with 1on1 multiplayer like that... SIGH.

EDIT:

I just played two games of Bridge Crossing and a game of SF Pipeline running an average of 20-25 FPS! Bottom was 15, top was 35-40. WOW!

This trick is the ticket.

Set your username and password in the User.ini file, and DON'T under ANY circumstances, log into AA. Once you do, you have to restart AA to get your framerate back.

Sadly, SFextraction still runs at 9 fps, though that was with 4x FSAA and 8x anistroph. I might be able to run it better at 2x FSAA and 8x anistrophic filtering, and maybe with some texturing turned down.

My system config:

PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz 15"
Resolution: 1280x854
1.0 Gigabyte of RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility with 64 MB of VRAM. (Uses the 9600XT driver, apparently)
ATI Display Utility providing 2x/4x Multi-FSAA and 8x Anistrophic Texture filtering
VARsize = 96
CacheSizeMegs = 64
UseCompressedLightMaps = True

More optimizations will be added/adjusted later.

Runs Bridge Crossing in a fairly full multiplayer server (12 peeps) at 20-25 FPS average, with peaks to 40 and lows to 15 (usually just 18.) That's only right at the start of the round, when everyone is spawning. Definitely playable. I get slightly lower minimum framerates than AAO2.3, but higher maximums. I used to only get 29-30 tops in 2.3.

Now, talking about the new Windows playerbase... I'm 17 honor because I wasn't super-active, and then they shut down our honor servers a while ago. Someone on one of the bridge crossing servers had quite the attitude in calling me a inexperienced player, when I politely asked to use the sniper rifle because no one was clearing the defense stairs. Frankly, I don't care if he has 83 honor. He has no right to mistreat other people. I'm also curious if that is a violation of the TOS (mistreating other players). I'll read up on that.

Last edited by flightace37 on 02 Nov 2005 06:25; edited 4 times in total
GeneralBommel

Recruit

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 06:09 Profile

ok... i'm just downloading 2.5 again... man i hope this works Shocked

Mr.Porkchop

Private

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 08:02 Profile

dude it works..i just played and i was averaging 20 fps...recently it was 10 the most... but unplayable..i can now play... btw I put my settings all on highest.... im on a g4 ibook..

do u think if i put them on normal it would run even better...or just leave it where its at

[BM]MacKane

Private First Class

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 08:10 Profile

Works for me too.... Cheesy Grin

piNKsta

Private First Class

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 09:00 Profile

where in the ini do i put my username and password?!??!?!

Dooom

Private

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 09:20 Profile

This worked somewhat for me....15-20 fps now. However, previously, I could boast 30fps after screwing with the .ini. It's playable now, but I still think we can make it better.

-MaC-A2Zulu.eu

Sergeant

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 09:21 Profile France

U R STILL looking for, the .ini files Petepete...ROFL u makes me laugh.....
Go to username/Library/application support/Americasarmy2.5/System/User.ini

Open it with textedit and scroll ... u ll find it easily.

jjoonathan

First Sergeant

Posted: 02 Nov 2005 09:26 Profile

hmm didnt work for me Confused

oh well, if it works for you, thats great. I don't see why it should do anything from the samples... maybe somebody who DOES get a performance boost would be kind enough to shark it and post the results?

THE solution for the widespread fps problem in 2.5 

Page 1 of 8     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: