AA3 On Facebook!
» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Punkbuster Troubleshooting [10-10-05] 

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 23:03 Profile

ok, when is it saying "cannot remove pbag.mac" ? Is it in the game while playing or when is it? Another thing you could try is to make sure you have permissions to edit that file. (right click files ; get info; pull down tab "Permissions" and then set user to "Read & Write"

~Balthamos

jtomas

Recruit

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 07:57 Profile

GREAT! Finally a PB Update fix for Mac that worked on my 1st try. I was about to give up on playing A*A v2.0.0a. All the other PB fixes I tried had me putting the PBWeb update in wrong file as you said. Using Safari didn't help either... HOORAH!

PitLourde

Private First Class

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 14:01 Profile

Thanx for letting us know where the REAL pb folder is. I downloaded PBWEB using Safari. I just control clicked the link and chose "download link to disk". It downloaded the .zip file no problem. Then I double clicked the .zip file and it expanded the PBWEB app which I then moved to the real pb folder.

The problem I ran into was when I ran the PBWEB app it said it couldn't convert the htm files to binaries. I'm gonna go into a game and see if it works or not.

I think the reason it won't update automatically is that I don't operate under an admin account for security purposes. I only use the admin account to install software and perform maintenance. So, the AAO pkg along with all of it's folders have the owner set as my admin account. The permissions give read&write access only to the owner. The group and other have read only permissions. I wonder if changing those to read and write will allow PB to update automatically.

BTW I had this same problem with the 1.9-2.0 update and all I had to do was change the permission for the pb folder that is under Library/Application Support/Army Operations 2.0.0/System/pb

I have to wonder why they decided to move the pb folder into the AAO pkg without documenting it.

But then being a Mac user I'm used to being treated like the [TOS Violation], red-headed step child.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 17:22 Profile

instead of using PBWEB, you can do it yourself manually. I've posted the instructions a little while back. you can try that if PBWEB isn't working for you

~Balthamos

PitLourde

Private First Class

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 18:05 Profile

Well, I played around with it for a few hours. Here are some of the things I tried:

-view package contents, navigate to system/pb, download PBWEB to /pb folder and run PBWEB.

PBWEB gave me error messages saying that it couldn't convert the .htm files to binaries.

-Changed permissions for system/pb to give "others" read & write access.

That didn't help.

-opened ports 24300-24350 on ipfw (MacOSX built in firewall)

No luck there either.

The interesting thing is that I had the same problem with PB when I upgraded from 1.9 to 2.0. All I had to do was give my user account admin privileges and it updated automatically. This time, that solution didn't work. Probably because I installed AAO under my admin account so the "owner" was listed as that account.

Finally, I decided to take drastic measures. I deleted AAO. Then, with admin privileges granted to my normal user account, I installed AAO2.0 and the 2.0.0a patch. Viol?. I no longer have any problems.

If you are not able to grant yourself admin privileges I'd suggest installing AAO somewhere under your home directory. That way you will be listed as the "owner" and shouldn't have these problems.

I sure wish the devs would take permissions into consideration when they change things like that. I mean I know WinXP handles permissions differently (in a less secure manner than Mac OSX), but the way *NIX OSes handle permissions have been pretty much the same for the last decade or so. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

"Never ask a man what computer he uses. If its a Mac, he'll tell you. If its not, why embarrass him?"

-Tom Clancy

Captain Billing

Recruit

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 18:48 Profile

WHAT IF U DON'T HAVE A RIGHT CLICK?

Captain Billing

Recruit

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 18:50 Profile

WHAT IF U DON'T HAVE A RIGHT CLICK?

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 22:38 Profile

control + click. I also suggest that you get a 2 button mouse. a cheap one will do because gaming with 1 button is not going to work out, trust me.

~Balthamos

madstoner

Recruit

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 22:22 Profile

Thanks a million for your help..followed your instruction...you made it easy. Any chance you know why i cant connect to Andromeda???? (Gamespy no problem but few servers) and unable to get slideshow/pictures in SF Classroom Vehicle and Aircraft recognition.I know from postings that alot of people having the same problem with Andromeda, but can't find anyone with slideshow problems. Question Question Rolling Eyes

madstoner

Recruit

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 22:23 Profile

Thanks a million for your help..followed your instruction...you made it easy. Any chance you know why i cant connect to Andromeda???? (Gamespy no problem but few servers) and unable to get slideshow/pictures in SF Classroom Vehicle and Aircraft recognition.I know from postings that alot of people having the same problem with Andromeda, but can't find anyone with slideshow problems. Question Question Rolling Eyes

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 16:28 Profile

i have never heard of the slide show problem before. my advice is to listen carefully to what the teacher says. Also, I believe there are some posts that have the slides posted to help.

Good luck Cheesy Grin
~Balthamos

Pvt Radio 77

Recruit

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 01:03 Profile

Can someone please go over, from the top, what to do with the punkbuster files. The thread has gotten so jumbled it is hard to know exactly what is what. I thought I did everything right and download the files correctly but it still says I need to update my pb files. Also when I try and run the pbweb app in the pb folder nothing happens. I am getting very frustrated with this. Someone please help.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 21:25 Profile

The first post tells you what to do. If it still does not work, try manually updating it, Which is around the middle of the page and is posted by me.

~ Balthamos

firewolf238

Private

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 00:24 Profile

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have the 2.0.0a patch for AA. Whenever I join a game I get kicked out after a round for no reason.
CAN ANYONE HELF ME FIX THAT PROBLEM?!?!?!?!?
how can I update punkbuster?
I need very specific instructions that anyone could follow.
thank u. Neutral Neutral Evil or Very Mad

firewolf238

Private

Posted: 11 Feb 2004 12:20 Profile

I updated punk buster but i still get a pb error when I play saying: pbweb ERROR: connot delete ________after unload. Where ________ is a file name, probably one from the htm folder.
I get that message constantly and then after 3-5 minutes i get kicked for no reason. Mad Mad Mad
I play AA from a standard user and can't delete files from AA directory, which might be the problem.
Please help me to fix that problem.

Punkbuster Troubleshooting [10-10-05] 

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: