Page 1 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Punkbuster Troubleshooting [10-10-05] 

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 02 Jan 2004 17:05 Profile

HOW TO FIX PUNKBUSTER
Last Updated: 10-10-05

Hello, and welcome to the revised edition of ?Fixing PunkBuster?. Due to scattered information and confused people, I have collected all important information and rewrote the entire post in order to help people like you in understanding exactly how to fix the dreaded PunkBuster (from now on referred to as ?PB?)

Step One? PunkBuster and you
The reason you came here for is because PB has been doing weird things. Here, we consider ?weird? things PB does normal. Kicking because of a new version is common among us Mac users. Don?t worry, you are not alone. PB has it?s own website support for AA, which can be found here. When I wrote this post, they knew nothing on how to update it for Mac, and now they magically do. Makes you wonder... Anyway, here are a few guides that can help you understand PB to its fullest.
PunkBuster Guide for Players
PunkBuster Guide for Admins

Step Two? Fixing PunkBuster
There are multiple ways of fixing PB. One of the most common (by common I mean it?s basically the only one that works) way of fixing PB is by manually downloading the necessary files PB needs in order to do whatever it does (nothing).
Necessary pre-knowledge
You need to know where the real PB folder is. Here are steps to getting there:

1. Find your Army Operations application (in this case, Army Operations 2.3.0)
  2. Right-Click (Control-Click) on the application itself, no shortcuts (aliases)
  3. Click "Show Package Contents"
  4. Click the folder named "System"
  5. Click the folder named "pb"
    So all together, the complete path is "Army Operations 2.3.0/System/pb"

You no longer need to download files with Internet Explorer. You can now download files straight from Safari. (Right-click (Option-click) the links and click ?Download liked file as?)
Manual Fixing
Here is what you need to download and where to put it
  • Manual Update File #1: PB Client v1.204?Goes in ?htm? folder located inside ?pb? folder (Army Operations 2.3.0/System/pb/htm)
  • Manual Update File #2: PB ClientA v1357?Goes in ?htm? folder located inside ?pb? folder (Army Operations 2.3.0/System/pb/htm)
  • Security File: Player Security File?Goes in ?pb? folder (Army Operations 2.3.0/System/pb)

Automated Fixing
Sounds easy but it rarely works. Worked once for me, and that was a long time ago.
  • Download PBWEB
  • Place PBWEB in the pb folder (Army Operations 2.3.0/System/pb)
  • Run PBWEB
Step Three? Troubleshooting
Should you have tried these methods and still have problems, there are other ways. Summed up from other posts, here are some other ways you can fix PB.
  • Change permissions from ?Read-Only? to ?Read-Write?
  • Use Internet Explorer to download the files
  • sporter wrote:

Finally got it to work. LIke the initial instructions say, copy the PBWeb file (bundle) to System/pb inside your AAO folder. But before you can run that file, you'll probably need to fix the permissions. In a terminal window, type (this assumes AAO is installed in your /Applications folder)...
    chmod -Rf a+rx /Applications/Army Operations 2.0.0a.app/System/pb/PBWeb.app
    ...then you should be able to double-click the PBWeb file (bundle) in Finder to run that script. It'll take a while to run (a couple minutes on my dual 1.8 PowerMac) and at times it will seem as though it is doing nothing. Wait.

• WozniakMac wrote:

Here is the fix for all with my problem:
    Start a game and type " pb_security 0 " in your console. Then you will need to answer "Yes", which I believe is "2".
    -Dustin

I do not know what this does, might be bad. Don?t try it unless nothing else works.
Other Stuff? Links, suggestions, etc.
Here are good links you will find helpful

Hope you got something out of this post

~Balthamos

Last edited by Balthamos on 10 Oct 2005 01:13; edited 8 times in total
Brian Bang Donofrio

Recruit

Posted: 03 Jan 2004 13:24 Profile

Balthamos,

Thanks I'll try it. But I still think they need to Fix the software so it works automaticaly.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 04 Jan 2004 01:45 Profile

software works with highest system (10.3.2), but you are probably right, it wont update by its self, but hey, it updates nevertheless Cheesy Grin

Brian Bang Donofrio

Recruit

Posted: 04 Jan 2004 02:08 Profile

I have a strong feeling that by using explorer you are actualy using the old 8.0 series of the stuffit expander, which properly expands the Zip file. Safarai if you updated to the latest version is using more current version of stuffit which seems to be unable to properly expand the zip file.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 04 Jan 2004 22:33 Profile

no and yes. ya see, internet explorer doesn't even unzip the file, instead, it leaves it as a zip file for you to decompress any way you wish. there may be some preference that changes this but im not concerned. and another reason in using IE is the right click "save link to disk" feature. this may be in safari, but im aiming for simplicity here. as for safari, the most current version (1.1.1) uses a some decompressing program (probably stuffit) that is corrupting the file. what i do know is that StuffIt version 8.0.2 does decompress the file correctly. i have no clue wether my version is outdated or not, as long as it works im good Very Happy

Brian Bang Donofrio

Recruit

Posted: 05 Jan 2004 11:35 Profile

I use Safari as my main browser never touch explorer. So Safari is linked to the latest version of stuffit where as IE is linked to the old version of stuffit. I need to reload, I test this theory and get back to you. If it safari we should file bug reports with apple. They are very good at fixing Safari issues.

JohnnyDarko

Recruit

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 12:34 Profile

AO 2.0.0a is not a package so pbweb doesn't find what it's looking for.
Can I do it's job manually?
What files do I need?
Is there a newer version of pbweb?
Is there an end to the insanity? Confused

PPC_G5

Staff Sergeant

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 19:04 Profile

JohnnyDarko wrote:

AO 2.0.0a is not a package so pbweb doesn't find what it's looking for.
Can I do it's job manually?
What files do I need?
Is there a newer version of pbweb?
Is there an end to the insanity? Confused

It is, make sure it's the actual "Army Operations 2.0.0a" app package not the patch or install file you downloaded. Read it again and follow Balthamos instructions above...

Balthamos wrote:

... (1) find Army Operations application (aka what you click to run aao) (2) right click on it and and push "show package contents" ...

thegeek187

Recruit

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 16:10 Profile

Balthamos wrote:

hey guys, my punkbuster wouldnt update,it was giving me all this trash and then kicking me. None of those manual updates worked or that PBWEB, until it hit me. Man those people are stupid; they gave me the WRONG FILEPATH guys the real pb file lies within Army operatioins itself! in order to access the REAL pb folder, all you need to do is: (1) find Army Operations application (aka what you click to run aao) (2) right click on it and and push "show package contents" (3) click the file "System" (4) click the file "pb" and there you have it. now that you are in the real pb folder, click http://www.evenbalance.com/ind...epb.php after scroll down until you get to "pbwebmac.zip"Exclamation IF YOU ARE USING SAFARI, SWITCH TO INTERNET EXPLORER Exclamation right click "pbwebmac.zip" and save it to the pb folder. (the way i did this is by dragging the pb folder into the sidebar so that it will show up in the save bar menu) the reason you had to do this with IE is because Safari corrupts the file with the default expander; you want to use STUFFIT EXPANDER. after that you move the newly expanded app to your pb folder if its not already there. run the program and you are done. THIS PROGRAM MAY TAKE A WHILE TO UPDATE, IT WILL TELL YOU WHEN ITS DONE
i hope this helps you, it sure helped me Wink ~Balthamos

im lost i put the pb folder in the sidebar hae the file dloaded now what?

dan

thegeek187

Recruit

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 17:56 Profile

i tryed this 2 times and its not working

major withdrawl comming soon

hheeeellp

[HaLo]rashad frelin

Recruit

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 23:21 Profile

make sure youve opened the pb file.

{Sarcen}Cpt. Gibson

Private First Class

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 00:29 Profile

i have done this and for me it still says cannot remove pbag.mac after unloading

thegeek187

Recruit

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 12:03 Profile

the PBWeb app wont even open!

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 21:50 Profile

This has never happened before, but you can try the following:

First off, get to that pb folder that is located in the application "Army Operations" (instructions on first post) Then right click the links below (using Internet Explorer) and save them by one of the following ways: 1. save to the desktop and then move them to the htm folder (located within pb folder) or 2. save directly to the htm folder

file 1 file 2

It does not matter how the files are downloaded. As long as they are saved as htm files you should be fine. (oh ya and they need to get into the htm folder Cheesy Grin )

please provide some feedback for this method.

also for admin and whatnot that need manual updating that PBWEB can't provide, you can download all the files you need here, just put the files where it tells you to

~Balthamos

{Sarcen}Cpt. Gibson

Private First Class

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 22:02 Profile

it still says cannot remove pbag.mac after unloading help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punkbuster Troubleshooting [10-10-05] 

Page 1 of 9     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: