Page Jump        Next Page »  

Mac Server Creating Guide [12-13-05] 

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 21:40 Profile

Mac Server Creating Guide
Last updated: 12-13-05

ChangeLog:
12-13-05: Added change in ports (TCP Auth from 20045 to 20046)

Welcome to the Mac Server Creating Guide! This guide will lead you through the process of making a server on your Mac.

Table of Contents
//1. Required Materials
//2. Knowing the Basics
___>>1. Networking 101
___>>2. Unix Commands 101
//3. Creating your First Server
___>>1. Finding your IP addresses
___>>2. Configuring your Router
___>>3. Configuring your Internal Firewall
___>>4. Configuring your .ini
___>>5. Starting your Server
___>>6. Checking your Server
___>>7. Shutting Down your Server
//4. Other Methods of Starting your Server
___>>1. SCX Applications
//5. Getting Help
___>>1.The Help Form

//1. Required Materials
In order to get your server up and running, you need to have a few things:

• Macintosh running OS X or higher
  • Army Operations: Special Forces (or higher versions)
  • High-speed Internet connection (recommended)
  • Basic understanding of networking (recommended)
  • Basic understanding of Unix commands (recommended)

//2. Knowing the Basics
>>1. Networking 101
Networking is not hard to understand. A network is simply a collection of computers hooked together. Some may be small, and you are probably on one right now. You are probably on a LAN, or Local Area Network. These networks operate in their own ?Internet?. Now, you usually hook computers up to a LAN so that you can share the same internet connection, or so you can transfer information from one computer to another. There must be some central connection point to where all information is thrown. This is usually your router. All a router does is hook up everything together, creating your network. Now that you have your router and your LAN set up, you need to send information from one computer to another. This can be done by calling on the computer. But you cannot just randomly call out numbers and hoping you are connecting to the right one, you need a definite number. You have ways of calling on your computers via their internal/ LAN IP (Internet Protocol) address. This is a series of four numbers separated by periods (ex. 192.168.0.4). Now, you can call this computer and do transfer the data to it. Simple.
Embedded Image
Now, there is something is something called an external IP, and I bet you can guess what it is used for. Yes, it is used for other people on the Internet to find your computer (this is also a series of four numbers separated by periods). The external IP uses the same principle as the internal IP does, just on a larger scale. As you see in the picture above, the router has an internal IP as well, as you may need to work directly with the router instead of other computers on your network. Since you hooked everything up to a central location, the only way for the information to get from the Internet into your computer, it must go through the router. So we can conclude that the router must have an external IP address, and none of the others do. Remember, you only have one external IP, no matter how it is hooked up, because you are all using the same Internet. If you had two different internet lines in, then you would have two different external IP addresses, but more than likely, you only have one.

Now most routers nowadays have firewalls built into them. A firewall acts as a protective barrier to the Internet. It limits the use of ports into and out of your network. For now, ports will be known as a path for which information flows through. For those of you who are tech-savvy, you will know that this is not entirely true, but for the sake of understanding, it will be. One of the most common ports open by default on your firewall is port 80. This allows for the passage of HTML (websites). There are also a couple of types of ports. UDP and TCP. You do not need to know about them, other than there are two of them.
Embedded Image
Now, sometimes there is a problem. A port that wants to be used is rejected and not let through. This can be corrected easily by allowing that port access. This is done via your router. I cannot supply you with the exact instructions on how this is done, because I probably do not have the same router as you. Back to the matter at hand; once you open the ports that you want, you might think everything will be fine, but there is one problem. Once the information gets there, where will it go? Sure, the router can deal with port 80 and knows how to handle that, but you just opened a new port, so it just sits there with the information. To correct this issue, you might need to configure port forwarding. This tells the router what to do with the information that comes through port x, like send it to your IP address. Most of the time, you will only need to do port forwarding and everything will work just fine. Again, I cannot help you configure your router to do this. I might be able to if you email me screen shots. I will have a help form you can copy and paste later on.
Embedded Image

>>2. Unix Commands 101
Alright, here we go with Unix commands! First, you will probably want to know where you will be using these. This place is located at ~/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app. So double click on that. When you open it up, you will see a friendly greeting around these lines.
Code:

Last login: Fri Feb  4 22:15:40 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
My-Computer:~ User$

Now there is a lot of things you can do in Terminal. Basically, you can do anything you could do normally, but without the GUI. Here, find out what directory (folder) you are in right now. Type in ?pwd? (print working directory) and see what comes out.
Code:

My-Computer:~ User$ pwd
/Users/User

Ah, now look at that, you are in your home folder. Now type in ?ls? (list) to see what you have in your home folder.
Code:

My-Computer:~ User$ ls
Desktop                         Pictures
Documents                     Projects
Sites                               Public
Library                           Movies
Music

Now what is this ~ supposed to mean? It was there both times when we asked for the working directory and when we asked to list what was in it. Lets find out. Type ?cd? (change directory) followed by ?desktop?
Code:

My-Computer:~ User$ cd desktop
My-Computer:~/desktop User$

Now look at what has happened. The ~ was changed to ~/desktop. If you want to double check, you can type in pwd again and you will get /Users/User/desktop. So we can safely conclude that ~ signifies your home folder.

Now we get to do arguments and option flags. A program can be compared to a pizza. You call the pizza place and ask for one pizza. 99% of the time, they are going to ask you what type of pizza you want, and where you want it delivered. Same with programs. Try it out yourself. Type in ?cp? (copy).
Code:

My-Computer:~ User$ cp
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src target
           cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory

Looks like it didn?t like copying nothing, so it told you how to use it. But how am I supposed to know how to use all that?, you ask. Well it is simple. Just type in ?man cp?
Code:

CP(1)                     BSD General Commands Manual                    CP(1)

NAME
     cp - copy files

SYNOPSIS
     cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] source_file target_file
     cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] source_file ...
        target_directory

DESCRIPTION
     In the first synopsis form, the cp utility copies the contents of the
     source_file to the target_file.  In the second synopsis form, the con-
     tents of each named source_file is copied to the destination
     target_directory.  The names of the files themselves are not changed.  If
     cp detects an attempt to copy a file to itself, the copy will fail.

The following options are available:

-H    If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line
           are followed.  (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal
           are not followed.)
?

Wow, that is a lot of text! Scroll down with the arrow keys to find even more. It just told you everything about cp. It told you what every single argument means and how to correctly use it. You can test this out on your own if you like, but all I want you to know is how to use them (ex. cp ?R ?L ~/desktop ~/desktop/desktopBackup). But what am I supposed to do now? I am stuck in this manual page, and I don?t see any of my familiar My-Computer:~ User$. Well you could scroll through the entire manual page, or you could press ?q?.

//3. Creating your First Server
Since this is your first time setting up your server, we are going to do it manually. This way, if a problem happens in one of the automation programs, you know how to fix it.

>>1. Finding your IP addresses
One of the most easiest parts of making your server.
To find your internal IP address: Open System Preferences. Go to Network. Double click on your network. Shown under ?IP Address?
Embedded Image
To find your router?s IP address, follow same steps to get your internal IP address, and look under router
Embedded Image
To find your external IP address, go to this website. Your external IP address is at the very top in a large text size.

>>2. Configuring your Router
Now this part can be a little confusing if you don?t know what you are doing. Luckily, I am here to guide you to the best of my ability. Go ahead and type in your router?s IP address into Safari (or any browser of your choice). You will then be confronted with a password prompt. Hopefully you know what the password is. I believe the default is
Code:

User: user
Password: password

or
Code:

User: admin
Password: password

Now, once you have successfully logged into your router, you want to look for something such as ?Port Forwarding? or ?Playing Internet Games? or ?Network Address Translation (NAT)? (you may need to go into advanced settings if possible). After locating where to put in your ports, you will actually need to put the ports in. Here are the ports you must forward to your internal IP address.

UDP:
1716 for the game
1717 for the gamequery
1718 for master server query
8777 for standard UT query
27900 for GameSpy
TCP:
20046 for Auth server (**NOTE:Was 20045. Changed now**)

You can shorten this into two lines (assuming your router knows standard notation for ranges, etc). The UDP ports can be shortened to
Code:

1716-1718, 8777, 27900

and the TCP ports like it says
Code:

. Remember, you are trying to forward these ports to your internal IP address, assuming you will be running the server on that computer.

>>3. Configuring your Internal Firewall
This part is pretty easy. Go to System Preferences. Click ?Sharing?, click the tab ?Firewall?, and finally click ?New?. A sheet will be pulled down. For the port name, select ?Other? and name it whatever you want. For the ports, copy and paste this in.
Code:

1716-1718, 8777, 27900, 20045

. After making it, make sure that the check is checked next to your new setting.

>>4. Configuring your .ini
This part is pretty easy as well, but tedious. The file you will be editing (ArmyOps.ini) is located ~/Library/Application Support/Army Operations 2.1.0/System. You can open it up and look around for yourself. The guide to setting this up can be found here and another one here. I highly recommend that you back up your current AmryOps.ini file should you mess up or do something bad.

>>5. Starting your Server
Here is where you get to work with Terminal some more. Before you start anything, make sure that you have your ports forwarded. Also, look in your ArmyOps.ini. Search for ?IP=?. Now put a semicolon (;) in front of everywhere you see ?IP=? (there should be a total of two). Now, lets start this server up! Open up Terminal. Type in
Code:

cd

(note the space after cd). Now find your Army Operations.app file using Finder. Now drag the application over into the Terminal window. Notice how it magically put in the path for you. Now delete one space before putting in any more text! After deleting your one space, type in
Code:

/system

. So there should be no space and should look like this at the very end
Code:

Army\ Operations\ 2.1.0.app/system

. Now press return. You should now be inside the directory System inside the Army Operations.app. Now type in
Code:

./server-bin

. Would you look at that, ./server-bin requires some arguments. Well, lets see here. Lets just see if we can put up a global server on Bridge. We are going to use everything else on default. So go ahead and type everything in. You should get something that looks like this (if you are shooting for a LAN server, simply substitute "lan" for "global")
Code:

./server-bin global bridge.aao

. Press return. Now wait a little bit, and you should start seeing some stuff show up in the Terminal screen. Just wait a little bit until you see the words ?Game Engine Initialized? or a server status message, such as ?Server is running in Mode 0??. Now lets test to make sure everything is as it should be, but most importantly, see if you and others can join it.

>>6. Checking your Server
First, lets open up Army Operations. After it loads, press Option + Return. This will put it into windowed mode. Now go to deployment, go into your filters to make sure that ?View Empty Servers? is checked. Now look around and see if you can locate your server. You can order it by maps and look for your server. If you did not change the name at all, the default name is ?Another Army Ops Server?. If it is there, congratulations! If now, well, we are going to have to go back and find your mistake. Chances are, if you can see your server, others can and are able to join it. Even if you cannot see your server, open up the AA terminal (tilde ~ by default) any type in
Code:

open my.internal.ip.address

If your server exists, you will join it. If not, then you are having some problems (help will be at end). Now go ahead and exit Army Operations.

>>7. Shutting Down your Server
Terminal should be running, and your server is running inside Terminal. So if you shut down Terminal, you shut down the server. If you did this when we were joining the server, that is your problem. Now there are two ways of shutting down your server. One is the simple way; exit Terminal. This way is fine, but improper. If you want to do it the right way, push Control + C. This is the proper way to shut your server down.

//4. Other Methods of Starting your Server
After making your first server, you now know all that goes into the server. Now that you know the principles, you can now create your server via a server creating program. Now why did I make you do this?, you ask. Well, it?s like in math, they teach you the long way first, then the short way second. This way, if the short way fails, or if you cannot do something the short way, the long way is there for you to have. Trust me, it?s nice to know, and if the applications aren?t up to date with the new features, you can use them on your own.

>>1. SCX Applications
There are two out there at the moment. One is called SCX and the other is called SCXc. SCX was built by me, and SCXc was built by jjoonathan and I. I recommend using SCXc, as it is faster and better than its predecessor. These programs do everything you have done for you. It goes in and finds the fields that need to be edited, and then saves them, all via a nice GUI. It will even start and stop the server for you!

Should you be looking for a better application in running your server, look no further than Server Manager X. SMX is more of a professionals tool than for the beginners. It has immediate updating with your server and boasts the option of auto restarting in the event of a server crash. Eventually, SMX will be merged with SCXc, but for now they are separate.

//5. Getting Help
Here, I will tell you how to contact me, and I will try to the best of my ability to help
>>1. The Help Form
Just copy and paste this into the reply box. Have it serve as a checklist to the information you will be needing to give.
Code:

[b][size=18]Problem:
[/size][/b]

[b][size=12]Operating System:
[/size][/b]

[b][size=12]Method of Creation of Server: SCX,SCXc,self
[/size][/b]

[b][size=18] [IpDrv.GameSpyQR] and [IpDrv.SCIQR] Settings:
[/size][/b]

[b][size=18]Ports Forwarded: Yes/No
[/size][/b]

[b][size=18]Internal Firewall Ports Open: Yes/No
[/size][/b]

[b][size=18]Router:
[/size][/b]

[b][size=18]Recreation of Problem:
[/size][/b]

You can add more if you like, just try to stick with the format. And the [IpDrv.GameSpyQR] and [IpDrv.SCIQR] settings are found in your ArmyOps.ini file (~/Library/Application Support/Army Operations 2.1.0/System/ArmyOps.ini)

If you need any help and you have tried here first, feel free to email me at balthamos89@gmail.com

~Balthamos

Last edited by Balthamos on 13 Dec 2005 20:50; edited 7 times in total
jjoonathan

First Sergeant

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 21:56 Profile

Awsome. Great job! Shocked

I liked the pizza analogy too Laughing

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 22:42 Profile

You actually read it? I'm suprised. You are one of the few that ever reads my 20 page long ramblings. Smile

~Balthamos

[BxC]Ray-L.

Sergeant

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 23:02 Profile

is there a secret competition between the two of u?

jhkj

Private First Class

Posted: 07 Feb 2005 04:58 Profile

1337 post man! Two thumbs up.

-MaC-skidmarc-.us

Private First Class

Posted: 07 Feb 2005 05:28 Profile

the competition is hardly hidden, lol. (pretty good natured though.) collaboration often yields the greatest results. thanks Balthamos!

-MaC-skidmarc-.us

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 08:20 Profile

hey guys. it's me again.

i've got a strange problem. i finally got my server up and running. i've managed to get it listed in-game, to get PB running fairly well and to get it tracked.

my problem is this, whenever somebody tries a duplicate log in, the server encounters a Inadequate OS; in short anything other than a standard PB kick, the server crashes. i've checked the logs and can id the exact problem but i have no idea how to fix it. here is the tail end of the terminal code, when the server crashes....

HumanController:Authorizing:AuthorizeComplete: Closing Authserver Connection
PunkBuster Server: Player GUID Computed 0d6a06b6283ad38bbb26d98509377618(-) (slot #9) 212.14.7.134:1851 GUILTYPARTY_NAME
PunkBuster Server: VIOLATION (DUPGUID) #116: GUILTYPARTY_NAME (slot #2) Duplicate GUID/CDKEY [0d6a06b6283ad38bbb26d98509377618(-) GUILTYPARTY_ISP#:1843]
Signal: SIGTRAP [trap]
Aborting.

Exiting.
Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Name subsystem shut down
Allocation checking disabled
abm-G5:~/Applications/AmericasArmy/Army_Operations 2.1.0.app/System $

it's always the same code, just subsitute the error type. any ideas? any idea where i can go to get an answer?

Thanks!

-MaC-skidmarc-.us

Private First Class

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 08:24 Profile

and as i was writing the last post....

AGP_Weapon::ServerNotifyReplicationComplete bBusyRaiseWeaponPending = True
PunkBuster Server: RESTRICTION: Relert (slot #1) [8a7656a858826c4e9cef7e99e5a7cdd6(-) 84.108.16.158:2000] Inadequate O/S Privileges
Signal: SIGTRAP [trap]
Aborting.

Exiting.
Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Name subsystem shut down
Allocation checking disabled
abm-G5:~/Applications/AmericasArmy/Army_Operations 2.1.0.app/System $

-MaC-DaMan.us

Private First Class

Posted: 25 Feb 2005 21:33 Profile

Ummm i can c my server but can't join. You know that part about going to ur routers ip in a internet browser. When did u set up ur password? When u first got ur router?? Sorry i didn't follow the thing but ok i give it a try.

Problem: Can't join my server

Operating System: OSX 10.3.8

Method of Creation of Server: SCXc

[IpDrv.GameSpyQR] and [IpDrv.SCIQR] Settings: [IpDrv.GameSpyQR]
;(delete the ';' in front of 'IP=1.2.3.4' when setting your IP)
;IP=1.2.3.4
bNAT=true

[IpDrv.SCIQR]
;(delete the ';' in front of 'IP=1.2.3.4' when setting your IP)
;IP=1.2.3.4

SCIQR: You need to set [IpDrv.SCIQR]'s 'IP' field in your .ini
SCIQR: ...otherwise, we won't talk to the Andromeda server.
SCIQR: ...Set IP to your server's public address!
this shows up in terminal

Ports Forwarded: I think i did. I used their site. I used the FR3004 router

Internal Firewall Ports Open: Yes

Router:Asante FR3004

Recreation of Problem: everything works perfectly until joining the server, it gets stuck on trying to connect. The numbers just keep ticking away.

In game name: -MaC-DaMan.us

Last edited by -MaC-DaMan.us on 26 Feb 2005 17:24; edited 1 time in total
(Airborne)_Lanciano

Private

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 16:20 Profile

Ok well im having a prob with starting my server Crying or Very Sad I have gotten up to the
Code:
./server-bin. Would you look at that, ./server-bin requires some arguments. Well, lets see here. Lets just see if we can put up a global server on Bridge. We are going to use everything else on default. So go ahead and type everything in. You should get something that looks like this
Code:
./server-bin global bridge.aao. Press return. Now wait a little bit, and you should start seeing some stuff show up in the Terminal screen. Just wait a little bit until you see the words ?Game Engine Initialized? or a server status message, such as ?Server is running in Mode 0??. Now lets test to make sure everything is as it

BUT when I type in the bridge thing in it telles me

[Steve-Lancianos-Computer:System/Applications/Army Operations 2.1.0.app] stevelanciano% //server-bin global Bridge.aao
//server-bin: Command not found. Evil or Very Mad

I got up to that point with nooo probs, but as soon as I type in the bridge thing it says it can''t.
I NEED HELP PLZ HEY PLZZZZZZ lol
What shoud I do Question Question Question

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:19 Profile

ThDaMan, check your e-mail

Lanciano,

Well, looking at your Terminal output, I see two problems.
One, you are not in the right directory (folder). You need to be one more step into the Army Operations 2.1.0.app. You need to be in the System folder of Army Operations 2.1.0.app. So just add a "/System" to your long string when you cd to the folder, or just cd when you get there
Two, it's not //server-bin, its ./server-bin. And anyway, it can't find the command because you are not in the right directory.

~Balthamos

Last edited by Balthamos on 28 Feb 2005 15:52; edited 1 time in total
(Airborne)_Lanciano

Private

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 08:29 Profile

Hey,
Yup I noticed my prob to, so I went to the system, and treid it and it still dont work. I will try the /. because on the web page for it, it is ./ sooo thank you ill see if this works Laughing

(Airborne)_Lanciano

Private

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 09:09 Profile

Ok, well I tried the /.server-bin and it still dont want to work, I also tried
/.server-bin global bridge.aao
still didnt work. Crying or Very Sad
Do you think maybe its my terminal that needs to be like updated?
Do you have any more suggestions??

This is where I have to be right?
[Steve-Lancianos-Computer:Applications/Army Operations 2.1.0.app/system]
then after I push return I type in the
/.server-bin
it tells me command not found then I try it with
/.server-bin global bridge.aao
and still nothing.

Balthamos

First Sergeant

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 15:51 Profile

Sorry, I was meaning to say ./server-bin. Again, sorry for the error. I was typing it originally and accidently typed in //server-bin. So I went back and must have made the mistake then. Again, that is ./server-bin.

~Balthamos

(Airborne)_Lanciano

Private

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 15:58 Profile

Hey, just tried it and nothing. Hmmm????

[Steve-Lancianos-Computer:Applications/Army Operations 2.1.0.app/system] stevelanciano% ./server-bin
./server-bin: Command not found.

same when I do the global.
[Steve-Lancianos-Computer:Applications/Army Operations 2.1.0.app/system] stevelanciano% ./server-bin global bridge.aao
./server-bin.aao: Command not found.

I dont know
am I in the right spot????

Mac Server Creating Guide [12-13-05] 

Page 1 of 16     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: