» See more topics

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 16     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Feedback Questions Answered -READ BEFORE POSTING- 

Adriac

Sergeant

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 23:26 Profile

You should address the issue of the ESRB... Something like:

In order to reach one of its main target audiences (teenagers approaching enlistment age), America's Army must maintain an ESRB rating of T for Teen. If AA lost its Teen rating, it would inhibit its distribution to this audience, which would inhibit its purpose as an educational tool for aspiring soldiers, which would reflect badly on it when the time comes to sign the check. This is one reason certain things ??blood, knives, visually realistic wounds ??are not a possibility for AA.

Because the game is produced by the Army, it has to suit standards above those of normal games. If enough angry parents write their senator, anything can happen. And remember that it only takes one incident, and some vitriolic journalism, to drum up public angst towards something as edgy as an Army video game. We, that is to say, the [Dev]s, have to tread very softly.

-Why can't we just let it go to Mature? Kids can and will still get ahold of it.
The ESRB has more pull than you'd think. A lot of retailers won't sell M games to kids. Certainly an Army recruitment office wouldn't want to be caught doing it. Even more than that, though, a promotion to M would indicate that the Army was okay with its game being rated above its admitted target audience??And even if the game still gets to the kids, it'd be a devastating PR blow, and could lead to the project getting canned (see above). We don't want that.

-Why is such and such feature rated so badly? That's stupid.
The [Dev]s have no control over what the ESRB chooses to rate how. If you'd like to protest something, try the contact information at ESRB.org.

-But <insert game here> has blood/knives/obscenity and it's rated Teen. Why not Army?
That's the ESRB's call. It's out of the [Dev]s' hands. If you really want to know, try the contact information at ESRB.org.

-What about an option to lock the offending features?
The presence of parental controls has no effect on ESRB rating.

-What about a requirement of proof of age to unlock the offending features?
The [Dev]s are not equipped to make such a system to operate well enough to stop kids from getting to it; see above. It only takes one.

...and then for every issue addressed, blood, knives, whatever, you can just put "See the section about the ESRB" or whatever.

Great idea, BTW, but your mistake was making it sticky. Nobody ever reads stickies. And you need to change the title to something like "MP-5 Deaglez knifes post here!!1!" so the people will notice it Razz

_fish_

Sergeant Major

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 23:48 Profile

don't forget the section on vehicles, too many people say "the maps are too small" or "it'll just be another battlefield

if you want i could write up a section addressing such issues...

kirkazoid25

Private First Class

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 01:51 Profile

Sweet. I play Bridge all the time and bipods on ledges will be awesome.

_fish_

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 02:24 Profile

kirkazoid25 wrote:

if they decide to put it in

just because the engine supports it doesn't mean they are going to code it in ( even though we really want it )

UT2K4 also features a built in music player, don't expect that in americas army ( even though we really want it )

[FILO]_Seiran

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 04:43 Profile United States

I doubt they'd leave out the ability to prop up bipods on things like walls and barrels. That'd be something too useful and realistic to leave out. In fact, I recall someplace the dev's saying they wanted it....DBotF maybe....?

Embedded Image

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit.

[OSX]ArtillaryGoat

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 08:34 Profile

_fish_ wrote:

don't forget the section on vehicles, too many people say "the maps are too small" or "it'll just be another battlefield

Too many people think they are going to see Apache's and be able to drive around the truck on Bridge. From my impression, at first the only maps that will have vehicles will be Humans with uber weaponry un the wazoo, and AI that (hopefully Twisted Evil ) ranges from insurgents barely knowing the right end of an AK, to foreign military SF in HUGE Overmatch maps.

The AA maps are extremely detailed, so if they toned down on the textures, they could make maps even larger than UT2004, without even a hiccup from a good machine. And the bad machines will still have regular maps, without vehicles and AI.

My 1000th post! You know what? I think I'll ask for something on my 1000th count. Can I please have (in tiny writing if you want) credit for finding the original thread? It was hard and time consuming with Search being down.

Adriac

Sergeant

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 09:10 Profile

_fish_ wrote:

kirkazoid25 wrote:

if they decide to put it in

just because the engine supports it doesn't mean they are going to code it in ( even though we really want it )

UT2K4 also features a built in music player, don't expect that in americas army ( even though we really want it )

However the [Dev]s have said they're working on it as soon as they can, so, yeah, I think it's coming Cheesy Grin

[USMC]Pendragon

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 15:20 Profile Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

I updated it again with Adriac's post.

-[Badger]-

Sergeant

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 16:55 Profile

UX-OSX-ArtillaryGoat wrote:

_fish_ wrote:

Too many people think they are going to see Apache's and be able to drive around the truck on Bridge. From my impression, at first the only maps that will have vehicles will be Humans with uber weaponry un the wazoo, and AI that (hopefully Twisted Evil ) ranges from insurgents barely knowing the right end of an AK, to foreign military SF in HUGE Overmatch maps.

The AA maps are extremely detailed, so if they toned down on the textures, they could make maps even larger than UT2004, without even a hiccup from a good machine. And the bad machines will still have regular maps, without vehicles and AI.

that s great but AAO doesnt need to be like CoD or Battlefield 2 or UT2004 that would make it like every other fps out there. and right now is unique and is fun. most of the peolpe that play a hundred and one fps's complain about not having melee or not having vehicles. I play many fps's and this one is the best ive played online. so if you want a modern military fps wit vehicles go to Joint operations or battlefeild 2 when it comes out.

But adding some features would be nice for example bullet effects, like gravity, cuz i've killed many ppl at 500 yrds + by aiming at their head and hitting there head and not adjusting at all. or how bout moving air drop points like for radio tower or sf recon( as if the plane moves rather then sitting in the same spot) and recon cuz its a big map and would work well for this.

badger

_fish_

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 18:17 Profile

-=MeT=-Badger wrote:

UX-OSX-ArtillaryGoat wrote:

_fish_ wrote:

that s great but AAO doesnt need to be like CoD or Battlefield 2 or UT2004 that would make it like every other fps out there. and right now is unique and is fun. most of the peolpe that play a hundred and one fps's complain about not having melee or not having vehicles. I play many fps's and this one is the best ive played online. so if you want a modern military fps wit vehicles go to Joint operations or battlefeild 2 when it comes out.

But adding some features would be nice for example bullet effects, like gravity, cuz i've killed many ppl at 500 yrds + by aiming at their head and hitting there head and not adjusting at all. or how bout moving air drop points like for radio tower or sf recon( as if the plane moves rather then sitting in the same spot) and recon cuz its a big map and would work well for this.

badger

Arrow Up

my point exactely as to why we need to clear up that the inclusion of vehicles will not magically transform it into an already existing game Laughing

Eternal_Thompson_Gunner

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 19:46 Profile United States

Stupid nub Pendragon, Uzi is Israeli.

I'm gonna be proven wrong, Pens always right when I do this.

[USMC]Pendragon

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 21:40 Profile Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

It's being made in Belgium. Germany's Police SMG of choice is the Uzi, under license from Belgium Shocked

DarkCntry

Sergeant Major

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 21:52 Profile Antarctica

Before the tangent goes about...the MP5 was being looked into for later addition and that's why there are completed models of both the MP5 and the Skorpion in the game. As it currently stands, it's sitting on the same 'could be' addition shelf as the shotgun.

Adriac

Sergeant

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 13:55 Profile

Cross posted from a recent thread...

What about OpFor? Why won't THEY get MP5s/Mk23s/etc?
MP5s are very expensive and hard to get ahold of (as firearms go). The odds of an army that equips Chinese AKs standard issuing MP5s in any circumstances are so low as to be utterly negligible.

This same applies to Mk23s, Desert Eagles, and other such "cool" guns. The only way you will ever see them in this game is in the hands of the US Army??See above on that.

You might also want to put in, about the Desert Eagle, that it's a horrible combat pistol? its size, weight, recoil and accuracy are all horrible for whatever bragging rights such an inordinately round garners you.

kirkazoid25

Private First Class

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 16:28 Profile

Quote:

AN/PEQ-2 Infra-red illuminator:
This has been modeled into the game, but unless we get a weapon viewpoint looking down the weapon, with the crosshair removed, ala Joint Operations, this mod is useless.

There is actually a wayto make this mod work without removing the crosshair. Half-Life Opposing Force had a Deser Eagle .357 with Laser Sight and crosshair and made it work. When the laser is on accuracy is given a large boost, but you move slower.

Quote:

You might also want to put in, about the Desert Eagle, that it's a horrible combat pistol? its size, weight, recoil and accuracy are all horrible for whatever bragging rights such an inordinately round garners you.

We should give Desert Eagles with 6-inch barrels to everyone who wants them and laugh as the go blind from the muzzle flash and deaf from the noise. Cheesy Grin

Feedback Questions Answered -READ BEFORE POSTING- 

« Previous Page        Page 2 of 16     
  Page Jump        Next Page »  

Jump to: